Badges

roboticanary

We have badges!!!

At the moment there are four badges, each one for hitting a particular amount of posts, and they also now function as the member ranks for the site, have a look at the profile pictures down the left side of the page, don't they look wonderful.

They also appear in your profile under 'my achievements'

Massive thank you to @Nix for designing these wonderful frogs, as well as to @DeltaAro for vectorising them.

• Like 9

oh, also btw, they appear in the emoji menu as well, so if your post is in desperate need for a giant dino eating frog you can just use this

:beelzebufo:

the emojifrogs wont accept vectorised images like the badges menu which i found odd but interesting, but anyway, you can now greet people with hordes of frogs if you so wish.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, roboticanary said:

:tadpole::babyfrog::frog::beelzebufo:

Nice! I just noticed the ‘new’ and the ‘moderator’ symbol (a raised hand and a shield respectively) look a little out of place now… Does anyone have ideas for those? Maybe a raised frog hand and uhm… a frog warrior?

:beelzebufo:🛡

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Hi, just coming in with questions. I noticed I have a frog, a rank and a certain number of points to next rank. What exactly are points? How do they work? How do I farm them

you post

short answer, one content item = 1 point (eg. topic, status update) and one comment = 1 point

I could change that to award extra points for, say, posts that get a certain number of likes, for example, but for the moment i think sticking with this simple system is best.

I may in the near future make either a pinned post or a page which explains this sort of thing in a place easier for people to find.

2 hours ago, Nix said:

Nice! I just noticed the ‘new’ and the ‘moderator’ symbol (a raised hand and a shield respectively) look a little out of place now… Does anyone have ideas for those? Maybe a raised frog hand and uhm… a frog warrior?

oh that is interesting. im not going to rush to do anything about this as digital art is really not my thing but if you or anyone else offers pictures i will absolutely take the time to put them into the site.

I really like the idea of mods being frog warriors, that seems amazing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nix said:

:beelzebufo:🛡

The space for those icons is very small. So I'm still for a shield and not a whole frog warrior.

But this sleek shield icon we have now looks indeed out of place.

Anthropomorphic fantasy reptiles don't use shields like medieval knights. But ones made from wood, leather or scales; and colorful with "tribal" decorations (reminiscent of Native American medicine shields). So now you know the cliche.

I'm kind of for a turtle shell shield.

The frog hand OTHO is easy!

24 minutes ago, roboticanary said:

also invision seems to like images ending up as png, so for something that will only be used as one tiny size i dont think it will need to be vectorised.

I even wonder if it was really necessary for :tadpole::babyfrog::frog::beelzebufo:.

But I didn't mind doing it. Took me a bit less than 3 hours.

And everyone can use the high-quality vector frogs, which you can find here. Have them printed on a t-shirt or a mug!! :aropride:

Oh, btw @Nix what should the license be?

I would suggest a CC license. I always use CC BY, but there are more restrictive ones.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DeltaAro said:

The space for those icons is very small. So I'm still for a shield and not a whole frog warrior.

But this sleek shield icon we have now looks indeed out of place.

Anthropomorphic fantasy reptiles don't use shields like medieval knights. But ones made from wood, leather or scales; and colorful with "tribal" decorations (reminiscent of Native American medicine shields). So now you know the cliche.

I'm kind of for a turtle shell shield.

The frog hand OTHO is easy!

Yeah I noticed that too, just a shield will be way more recognizable. That didn't stop me from drawing some frogs though ;)

1588901930_Frogdefendersketches.png.0a30c98ef3c19c67f7599e143715a6b8.png

I like the turtle shell too, but what do you guys think?

18 minutes ago, DeltaAro said:

But I didn't mind doing it. Took me a bit less than 3 hours.

And everyone can use the high-quality vector frogs, which you can find here. Have them printed on a t-shirt or a mug!! :aropride:

Oh, btw @Nix what should the license be?

I would suggest a CC license. I always use CC BY, but there are more restrictive ones.

Oh god 3 hours, you are my hero for devoting so much time to such a boring task... But yeah, go wild on printing them! A CC license is totally fine, spread the frog army >:)

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, alto said:

So frogs are our spirit animal now?

For me personally, the Beelzebufo sealed the deal. I mean, a dinosaur eating frog? Normally a turtle shield is a bit big for a frog. Unless Beelzebufo is wearing it of course ;)

Also, I can't stop drawing frogs now

1527063531_Morefrogdefendersketches.png.cfcdc11acfe3ae756501a8511ef1fc16.png 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Nix said:

Oh god 3 hours, you are my hero for devoting so much time to such a boring task...

At least I discovered some new music in passing...

I wonder if this can be done much faster... I doubt it. Any tips?

I'm not a professional vectorizer (what a job... 😃) but I'm experienced in creating vector drawings, I'm quite fast.

I wanted do this faithfully. The main difficulty was your varying stroke. With a constant stroke it would've taken a much shorter time:image.png.90fd9f388c9c1b8eadd4679c3174438b.png

The bezier curves from a detail from :beelzebufo:... so as you see it was rather involved.

When I directly draw myself, I use a graphics tablet and the Inkscape calligraphy tool. It's my work, I don't have to perfectly fit a given stroke. I just increase pressure a bit for a thicker stroke and Inkscape creates the bezier curves for me. But here I had to use mouse + bezier tool to directly create them.

1 hour ago, Nix said:

But yeah, go wild on printing them! A CC license is totally fine, spread the frog army >:)

Thanks for setting the frogs free for all the aros!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DeltaAro said:

I wanted do this faithfully. The main difficulty was your varying stroke. With a constant stroke it would've taken a much shorter time:

Yeah I figured that was why it took so much time 😬 I'm super impressed you managed to capture my lines so faithfully! I mainly draw in Procreate with an Apple pen, but when I absolutely have to vectorize something I use this method. It is far from perfect because like you mentioned before, it doesn't 'get' the lines, so I have to fiddle around quite a bit to get it right. Luckily I have only needed to vectorize logo's for a while, and those tend to have very tight lines with the same strokes.

19 minutes ago, DeltaAro said:

Thanks for setting the frogs free for all the aros!

Run, run little ones! By the way, I just finished a mural that also has a frog on it :frog:so it is a recurring theme for me it seems.

1021671988_Fotosviaductoostmaarland116.png.e399a65a4343082eafc05a424e4b42f9.png

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Nix said:

1588901930_Frogdefendersketches.png.0a30c98ef3c19c67f7599e143715a6b8.png

Love them all, just as I imagined them.

14 hours ago, Nix said:

1527063531_Morefrogdefendersketches.png.cfcdc11acfe3ae756501a8511ef1fc16.png 

Further inspirations:

Spoiler

jrtc97y920d41.jpg

Spoiler

03705_3705_p_1_dks.jpg

Spoiler

alex-sav-fungi-shield-prez3.jpg?15653367

13 hours ago, Nix said:

Yeah I figured that was why it took so much time 😬 I'm super impressed you managed to capture my lines so faithfully! I mainly draw in Procreate with an Apple pen, but when I absolutely have to vectorize something I use this method. It is far from perfect because like you mentioned before, it doesn't 'get' the lines, so I have to fiddle around quite a bit to get it right. Luckily I have only needed to vectorize logo's for a while, and those tend to have very tight lines with the same strokes.

Thanks, yes, I already know this method.

GIMP also has these capabilities. And Inkscape has quite good automatic vectorization, too.

But in the end nothing beats manual vectorization. In comparison, even the best automatic vectorization is simply subpar.

And the aro frogs deserve the very best, for sure!  😃

Please forgive me, but I find it amusing that the vectorization of your professional work (semi-automatic vectorization) got less attention than the aro frogs.

13 hours ago, Nix said:

Run, run little ones! By the way, I just finished a mural that also has a frog on it :frog:so it is a recurring theme for me it seems.

1021671988_Fotosviaductoostmaarland116.png.e399a65a4343082eafc05a424e4b42f9.png

Wow, this is GREAT!! 💚

Aro frog revolution! It's even in the aro color scheme!

Edited by DeltaAro
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I should give Inkscape another try. It kept crashing on my previous laptop, but that one was running on a potato so

12 minutes ago, DeltaAro said:

Please forgive me, but I find it amusing that the vectorization of your professional work (semi-automatic vectorization) got less attention than the aro frogs.

Haha don't worry, that is just the way it is sometimes. And frogs ARE super cool so I don't mind ;)

Thanks for the inspiration! I'll draw more frogs tomorrow, as I'll be counting them in my sleep now.

• Like 2