Anyone share my unpopular opinion on eating?

Angrboda

Can't remember if I've ever asked this question here before, but I'm curious to know if anyone else can relate to this. I really hate eating as an 'activity'. There are times that I don't mind eating of course, when there's nothing else going on, or when a food I really like is present. But eating 'for fun' or as a 'social activity' just isn't something I care for at all. I'm in my mid 30s & have only ever met one other human who can relate to this, so I thought I'd ask my fellow aros. Anyone?

Edited by Angrboda
  • Like 4

Are you maybe a Kreetassan?

The Kreetassans considered eating a taboo to be performed privately, in the same manner as mating.

As a hobby evolutionary psychologist (aka "this is totally made up") I can explain this peculiar human preference: in the Paleolithic people had to be very transparent about the food distribution. They ate together so that everyone knew that they got their fair share.

7 hours ago, DeltaAro said:

Are you maybe a Kreetassan?

The Kreetassans considered eating a taboo to be performed privately, in the same manner as mating.

As a hobby evolutionary psychologist (aka "this is totally made up") I can explain this peculiar human preference: in the Paleolithic people had to be very transparent about the food distribution. They ate together so that everyone knew that they got their fair share.

LOL Na, I just see it as a chore. Always confused me why the rest of the world seemed so exited over it. To me, it's simply something needed to live. It's just kinda boring.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Eating for simple sustinence is ok, and the food itself can be great.  Unfortunately, the social activity of eating is way too often where the more unpleasant tendencies of humans emerge.  Might have a lot to do with low blood sugar (see "hangry") and basically captive audiences.   Lots of bullying at table, dominance displays etc.  So I pretty much agree. 

I personally love eating, I can kind of see it as a fun activity but not so much as a social one, nothing really compares to eating alone and having the commodity of not being judged while doing so 🤷‍♀️

It depends, sometimes I hate it when I get hungry and it makes me stop doing something creative like writing.

Then I enjoy the preparation once I start and have no problem once I take a bite out of a sandwich. Mmm mmm. 

for a brief moment I can be annoyed but other than that… I guess not.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2022 at 8:12 AM, Angrboda said:

Can't remember if I've ever asked this question here before, but I'm curious to know if anyone else can relate to this. I really hate eating as an 'activity'. There are times that I don't mind eating of course, when there's nothing else going on, or when a food I really like is present. But eating 'for fun' or as a 'social activity' just isn't something I care for at all. I'm in my mid 30s & have only ever met one other human who can relate to this, so I thought I'd ask my fellow aros. Anyone?

Yes, exactly! I’m not a fan of eating, and I just don’t get get people who are foodies or those people who love eating! Most people seem to live to eat, I eat to live. I see it as more of a chore, not something fun at all. Sure, I enjoy some foods, like vanilla ice cream or dark chocolate and I do like Biryani. I like them for their taste and flavour. But eating overall? Nope! My (twin) sister is like this too, but to a more significant degree. 

1 minute ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

Yes, exactly! I’m not a fan of eating, and I just don’t get get people who are foodies or those people who love eating! Most people seem to live to eat, I eat to live. I see it as more of a chore, not something fun at all. Sure, I enjoy some foods, like vanilla ice cream or dark chocolate and I do like Biryani. I like them for their taste and flavour. But eating overall? Nope! My (twin) sister is like this too, but to a more significant degree. 

On 9/3/2022 at 5:49 AM, Angrboda said:

LOL Na, I just see it as a chore. Always confused me why the rest of the world seemed so exited over it. To me, it's simply something needed to live. It's just kinda boring.

This, completely. I don’t understand what’s so exciting about food?? It’s not exciting or interesting at all. I don’t get the hype. 

Edited by Storm_leopardcat
  • Like 2

i love eating whenever there's food around (that im not allergic to)!

trying new things is sorta my hobby with food (sometimes)

even as a kid i'd see those lil free samples and consistently come back for more free samples because they probably tasted good

as a social activity? idk

but i eat whether or not there's people around, although if others are eating i'd be inclined to eat as well because then i'd get jealous 

• Like 2

I love eating (maybe a little too much) but I hate how its seen as a social activity, and that not eating with other people is considered antisocial and 'rude' (I *might* have misophonia, which basically means I have strong, negative emotions to certain sounds- specifically 'mouth' sounds like chewing, slurping, spit noises etc)