New emoticons

Zema

A while back, @Cassiopeia submitted new emoticons which have since been added to the site. All of them were great. Anyway, over the past few weeks, I have been compiling a list of all the emoticons that have been suggested in chat, as well as a few of my own suggestions. In the CAPSLOCKIA thread, it was suggested that I share this list with everyone so that anyone can use these ideas in making their own emoticons. So if you want to try your hand at creating a new emoticon for the site, submit them here. If you have any ideas for emoticons which are not presented in my list, but don't feel confident creating your own, feel free to share them here as well.

Here's my list (I realise that some of these may be really difficult to make):

sarcasm
evil grin       :evilgrin:
potato                (the most suggested emoticon by far)
sauron               (just for Saaaro)
zzz                 :zzz:  (sleeping emoticon. Usually depicted with zzz)
dog
cat
crying
what                 (Looks like this)
dunno               (could also be shrug, means "I don't know" [the slang is strong with this one] and looks like this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I want this added because I'm tired of copypasting it all the time. )
ghost                (for danny,  maybe something like this )
smug
glare
papo                (chat meme, noone actually knows what this would look like. i don't really expect anyone to make this to be honest)

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)              (don't know what this would be called. It's slightly different from :eyebrow:, don't really know how to explain how though. i want this added for the same reason as :dunno:)

dense              (Looks like this. don't have any other word to describe it, suggestions would be good)

Others' Suggestions:

disgust/barf

other pride flags (what would we need?  I think ace, pan, bi are def. doable. The rainbow, trans, agender, lesbian, bear and other ones with lots of stripes will be more tricky. Designs ike the intersex or the other lesbian flag are just not really compatible with the current format...but we can tailor that too)

thumbs up (should it have the ring on?)

blush/nosebleed (I'm such a weeaboo)

yawn

laughing so hard your crying Like this one =D :rofl:

I'll put any suggestions for new emoticons in this post so that they're all in one place. I'll put a strike-through any suggestions on this list that are actually added.

shrug (aka dunno aka ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) ->actually tried to draw it, but I had some sizing issues, it will not be a square if we wanted to keep the body of the smiley the same size as the others (had the problem with the hug too).

disgust/barf

other pride flags (what would we need?  I think ace, pan, bi are def. doable. The rainbow, trans, agender, lesbian, bear and other ones with lots of stripes will be more tricky. Designs ike the intersex or the other lesbian flag are just not really compatible with the current format...but we can tailor that too)

thumbs up (should it have the ring on?)

blush/nosebleed (I'm such a weeaboo)

yawn

First up: I've cleaned up outlines on the emoticons that @Cassiopeia made so that they look much nicer on the new dark themes.

Here are the previous ones: :arolove::aropride::facepalm:    

And here are the new ones: Tjhxb8N.pnga3pRn4c.png  9298ubD.png    

EDIT: Here's a version of facepalm with a thinner outline: WzNShdL.png

If you look at these using the dark theme the new ones look much nicer.

Next up: I've made the papo emoticons. I'm not really expecting these to be added as this is a chat meme, and only the chat regulars will really like having these added. Of all the ones I've made, these are the ones which look the best and @DannyFenton123 and I want added the most (along with what they would be called). If any of these are added, keep in mind that the first three are the ones we want added the most.

:papo:

76igqmx.png

:nopapo:

92g4DWE.png

:yespapo:

1v6AvrC.png

:maybepapo:

ekfjwkW.png

:ninjapapo:

IMNUZEq.png

:arocapapo:

mQkOW7r.png

:arolovepapo:

FfpC0B0.png

:ghostpapo:

a35KYOV.png

:stopapo:

N0vYQy5.png

:aropridepapo:

jUsBths.png

Again, I don't really expect these to be added as very few people will actually know what these are. But it would be nice. And all the chat regulars will be really happy.

7 minutes ago, Cassiopeia said:

@Zemaddog

Wow. What program did you use, and what settings?

Also, how do I switch on the dark theme?

I used GIMP (GNU image manipulation program). I'm not really sure how to explain the settings I used, but it require a bit of fiddling to get it how I wanted. If you really want to know the settings I used, I'll give a detailed explanation in the form of a video (cause it's eaiser for me to say and show the settings than writing it all down). But I won't be able to do so until I get my new mic.

To switch to the dark theme, go down to the bottom of the page and click theme. A little dialogue box with all the available themes will appear. There are two dark themes: blue and green.

Ok, one more emoticon which I've cleaned up.

Here's the original: -_-

And here's the cleaned up version: 6bSUFJb.png

EDIT: I cleaned up 9_9 earlier today: vSblU57.gif. Unfortunately while it does look better on the new dark theme, the jagged edges make it look worse on the default theme.

I've noticed that :o has a very square mouth (I checked, it's literally a square of 4x4 pixels to be exact) So I decided to make the mouth rounder. What resulted was 4 different variations, with two different moods.

The first is happy surprise with a tongue: yfBo2Sz.png?1

The second is happy surprise without a tongue: jnNHqc7.png

The third is shocked surprise with tongue: PaBDlpw.png

The fourth is shocked surprise without a tongue: wpSe9rv.png

EDIT: A fifth gasp emoticon: m7b3QRn.png.

I personally prefer the ones without the tongue. That being said, if they are added, it would be best to have them as two separate emoticons: one for the happy surprised face, the other for the shocked surprised face. I would probably recommend O: for jnNHqc7.png and D: for wpSe9rv.png EDIT: and maybe replace the current :o with m7b3QRn.png

And now for a couple more submissions straight from the suggestions:

:evilgrin: [ or >:) ]   I7n0kiJ.png 

:zzz: (or :sleeping:) lvKYJcl.png

:cryingwithlaughter:  (or :rofl: or :lmao: or :cml: ) I7PLXmv.png  

17 hours ago, Zemaddog said:

Ok, one more emoticon which I've cleaned up.

Here's the original: -_-

And here's the cleaned up version: 5MKQO7J.png

On iOs 9 the original looks much better: WQwhgHQ.jpg 

maybe I should upload all of them later, so we can just use those? Also :o has a round mouth there (with tongue). As you see above the pictures are quite big, so it wont blur.

What do you all think?

Also the zzz in the sleeping one don't look good on the dark themes. Maybe a different colour would be better.

1 hour ago, aihpen said:

On iOs 9 the original looks much better: WQwhgHQ.jpg 

maybe I should upload all of them later, so we can just use those? Also :o has a round mouth there (with tongue). As you see above the pictures are quite big, so it wont blur.

What do you all think?

I took the big image you posted and shrunk it down to the same size as the current version. Here's the result: 6bSUFJb.png. It definitely looks much nicer than both the current one and the one I submitted before. Maybe if you post the other larger versions of emoticons, I can shrink them down so that they all look good regardless what theme people are using, and whether or not they're on mobile or not. Of course, if smaller versions exist then I won't need to shrink them down. I would definitely like to see them either way.

EDIT: I also used that larger image to make a less jagged version of this: lvKYJcl.png  and this: Tjhxb8N.png (The colours on this arolove also match much better to the other emoticons than before.)

Thank you so much @aihpen! Using these I was able to make a blank face which I'll share here so that anyone who wants to use it can. I'll share both the 80x80 pixel version and the 20x20 pixel version. I'm doing this because some people may find it easier to work with a bigger image and then shrink it down afterward (or send it to me to shrink down) rather than work with a small version straight off the bat. Here's the small version: VgI3zAD.png.

And here's the big version:

njXIcNd.png

I've also used this to clean up 9_9, turning it into this: vSblU57.gif. Unfortunately, something strange happens when I export the gif: all the partial transparency around the edges disappears, making it look jagged. Here's a .png still of the first frame: P3D3AW8.png and as you can see, it has much smoother edges. I'm really not sure why gif images don't like partial transparency, but it makes having a smooth edge near impossible on all different coloured backgrounds and is really frustrating.

EDIT: Here's another gasping emoticon using the larger image aihpen posted: m7b3QRn.png. I'll put it in my other post.

On 7/5/2016 at 0:04 AM, Zemaddog said:

For the facepalm, let me know if you want the thicker outline on the new one, or the thinner outline on the current one.

I prefer the thinner outline.

23 minutes ago, shotinthehand said:

I prefer the thinner outline.

Here's a version with the thinner outline: WzNShdL.png.

I'm not really a fan though.

16 hours ago, xavo said:

I'm not sure how the chat engine works, but could :shrug: become just an autocomplete for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯?

There's an easy way to do it in Windows (an analogous tool for Linux is Sikuli Script, but I don't work with it).

1. Install AutoHotkey.

2. Right-click on some empty space on the desktop (or in an Explorer window), choose Create -> AutoHotkey Script.

3. Modify the script file (with the .ahk extension) with a text editor, inserting the following string:

::shrg::¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. Double-click on the icon of the saved file (a sheet of paper with an 'H' like in the below pic) to launch the script.

5. Now, every time when you type shrg (after you type a space or some other ending character after the word), it will be automatically replaced by ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

6. To terminate the script, click the arrow in the Windows tray that shows hidden icons, find a green square with a white 'H' written in it, right-click it and choose 'Exit'.

FHiTO4F.jpg

The general syntax for AHK hotstrings is ::<hotstring>:: In the above example, <string> = 'shrg'. If you type that string, AutoHotkey does actions that you've specified right after the hotstring, e.g. in our case, it puts in the text ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. You can use any other hotstring instead of 'shrg'; I chose it because it never appears in natural language words (if I chose it to be 'shrug', I wouldn't be able to type the word 'shrug' itself without turning the script off). For more complex examples, study the AHK manual.

Idk if images can be inserted into the chat or whether it supports HTML tags, so I can't provide hotstring scripts inserting non-standard emoticon pics. 

16 minutes ago, aroMa(n)tisse said:

Idk if images can be inserted into the chat or whether it supports HTML tags, so I can't provide hotstring scripts inserting non-standard emoticon pics. 

Chat does support images. However, they only work if you provide a link to the image location and that the image location is short (chat recognises shorter links as images but longer links as just normal links, and I'm not sure why, or where the cutoff is). It also must be in a separate message otherwise chat will treat the link as plain text, which is... less than ideal.

I don't know about HTML tags, but I feel like it would probably treat them as a normal link and not an image.

I think they're ugly but maybe that's the point. ;) Here's all the papos added in their own group in the emoticons:

:yespapo::stopapo::arocapapo::arolovepapo::aropridepapo::ghostpapo::maybepapo::nopapo::papo:

Replaced the following:

:aropride::arolove::facepalm:-_-9_9

Added more:

:evilgrin::gasp::rofl::zzz:

Sleeping doesn't show up on dark theme very well. If you don't like it, don't use dark theme. :P

Archived