Autism and aromanisism

Guest Ali

I have a friend that says he doesn’t feel love. I’ve asked if he thought he might be aromatic but he’s unsure but I also know he has Asperger’s and that could contribute to it. I wanted to know if anyone had any insight to what might be going on. 

Just now, Robin144 said:

People on the autism spectrum are more likely to be aromantic.

Maybe. But is it scientifically proven? I’d like to see that study…

Cause studies about aromanticism… you can count on one hand…

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Guest Ali said:

he has Asperger’s

'Asperger's syndrome' is a harmful, ableist thing and is no more in the use. It was used to categorize autistic persons as 'worse' and 'better' ('low-' and 'highfunctioning' labels are harmful in the same way), also it has direct connection to a very bad person.

12 hours ago, Guest Ali said:

I wanted to know if anyone had any insight to what might be going on

Autistic persons see and interpretate things in other way than allistics and the chance that an autistic person is also arospec or in other LGBTQ+ part is higher. Personally I know more neurodivergent persons who are LGBTQ+ than neurodivergent cishet and there are also some who are both autistic and arospec. I'm myself both autistic and aromantic.

If your friend is interested in reading about aromanticism, I recommend to show him the AUREA's site. If he's uninterested, there's no sense to continue the conversation about it.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 2/8/2022 at 2:45 PM, DeltaAro said:

Maybe. But is it scientifically proven? I’d like to see that study…

Cause studies about aromanticism… you can count on one hand…

“Just trust me bro…”

• Haha 3

A common characteristics for autism is problem interpreting ones own emotions. Your friend could choose to identify as aromantic if he wants but in the end that's up to him.

Edited by Holmbo
  • Like 2

One could identify as aro/aro-spec because of the problems in interpreting their own emotions from being autistic, and then yet again, one could identify as aro/aro-spec and just happen to also be autistic, or they could not identify as aro/aro-spec besides.

I mean - I have autism and although I know that realistically it could play a role in how I process my own emotions, it doesn't feel like it's tied into my aromanticism anyway since it feels like my neurodivergency is more in relation to how I process things mentally rather than emotionally. But for some aros, that is the reality for them in identifying as such because of their neurodivergency and they're just as valid.

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Holmbo said:

A common characteristics for autism is problem interpreting once own emotions. Your friend could choose to identify as aromantic if he wants but in the end that's up to him.

Alexithymia, yes. It's very common in autistic people. I don't have it, I've always been very much in connection with my emotions.

soy autista en un nivel bastante bajo y me entere hace un mes cuando visite a un psicologo y bueno eso explica por no se comprender muy bien el sarcasmo o las emociones y de por que siempre me fiaba del lenguaje corporal para entender a la gente nose si eso influye en el hecho de que soy aro o no 

Edited by maruchan