Movie discussion thread

Holmbo

4 hours ago, 96Neko said:

I recently watched Encanto cause a friend told me he has this one song stuck in her hears...it was pretty nice but way to much singing why they start singing so often!? Neko Say's don't make muscial show just to say hello xD

A that must have been very confusing, if you weren’t expecting a musical. All Disney movies used to be musicals when I was young, so I don’t mind. I liked Encanto, nice to see a cartoon about familial love :)

• Like 3

22 hours ago, merlindfluorite said:

He did go through a lot. Poor guy. You're right though it was good, it must be due for a new series soon? 

I just remembered as I was typing this out that they are making a new Dracula movie, but focused on Renfield - and Nicholas Cage is cast as Dracula.

Just the most insane casting choice. I can't wait to see that.

https://youtu.be/PnoSxO_2ghQ

• Like 3

On 3/24/2022 at 8:17 PM, 2 Spirit Cherokee Princess said:

Oh my  actual stars, think I mentally repressed that. Incredible. What a masterpiece. Legendary. I need to watch it again. Immediately

On 3/24/2022 at 12:37 AM, 96Neko said:

I recently watched Encanto cause a friend told me he has this one song stuck in her hears...it was pretty nice but way to much singing why they start singing so often!? Neko Say's don't make muscial show just to say hello xD

Oh yeah I'm with Nix on this one. Musicals were everywhere when I was a kid. And some quite disturbing ones as well - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Bedknobs and Broomsticks and stuff like, plus all the classic Disneys, some of it was a little cringy but it was just the norm.

Edited by merlindfluorite
Spelling
  • Like 3

• 10 months later...
On 3/23/2022 at 8:02 PM, merlindfluorite said:

I just remembered as I was typing this out that they are making a new Dracula movie, but focused on Renfield - and Nicholas Cage is cast as Dracula.

I'm so excited! This looks legit hilarious. I find Nic Cage pretty hit and miss, but this role seems perfect for him.

Related to Nic Cage - I found Willy's Wonderland surprisingly good. Not a hilarious horror comedy, but there's something about it that I'm kind of obsessed with. I can't stop thinking about the repeat cut scenes of him downing that soda, crushing the can, and tossing it in the trash, just completely unfazed by the weird horrors occurring around him, LOL.

On 3/24/2022 at 3:02 AM, Nix said:

I liked Encanto, nice to see a cartoon about familial love :)

Moana, Encanto, Turning Red, Strange World - I've been having a blast with Disney releases, actually! Surface Pressure is hands down my favorite song from Encanto. And the plot of Strange World was just AMAZING. Loved the twist. I feel like Raya And the Last Dragon got REALLY overlooked, too!

4 hours ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

Anyone watch Puss In Boots: The Last Wish?

No. :( I really want to, though. I love the Shrek franchise, honestly. And the Puss in Boots series was surprisingly good. I still haven't even watched Everyone Everywhere All At Once, and I've been desperate to see it waaaaay back when I saw the movie posters.

I can't stop raving about Day Shift on Netflix! Jamie Foxx, Dave Franco, Karla Souza, and Snoop Dogg are just A+++ casting. Fantastic movie.

I am hesitantly looking forward to 65 (sucker for dinosaurs) and TMNT Mutant Mayhem. TMNT is one of my all time fave franchises but after the absolutely amazing Rise of the TMNT cast, the MM cast is...pretty disappointing, tbh. The only other iterations of TMNT I haven't cared for have been the 80s cartoon, TNM (which tbf, I haven't actually watched yet), and the Bay movies, so we shall see!

I have to admit that I'm interested in Cocaine Bear. Looks pretty hilarious. Very ridiculous.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hemogoblin said:

Surface Pressure is hands down my favorite song from Encanto.

Oh yeah, that is definitely my favorite too! Luisa is a great character, we need more strong women who actually look strong 💪🏻

I still haven't even watched Everyone Everywhere All At Once, and I've been desperate to see it waaaaay back when I saw the movie posters.

I dragged my friends too see Everything, Everywhere All At Once when it was in theaters and I haven’t stopped raving about it, it is so good! I even got the dvd so I could watch it on demand and shove it in more friends’ faces >:D One of my friends loved it so much he created his DnD warlock around it

The only other iterations of TMNT I haven't cared for have been the 80s cartoon, TNM (which tbf, I haven't actually watched yet), and the Bay movies, so we shall see!

Ah I grew up with the 80s cartoon so it has a special place in my heart. Turtles rule! The Bay movies were creepy, so I choose to ignore those exist. There is no war in Ba Sing Se ;)

I’ve seen The Menu in theater a while back and I really enjoyed it. I went with my ‘horror enthusiast’ friend, but it is more of a really dark comedy with thriller undertones? Not what I would call horror, apart from one or two really short scenes maybe. Loved the social commentary, and since I have worked in a cooking shop and dealt with people like Tyler (Nicolas Hoult’s character) it resonated a bit more I guess.

And I finally watched Nope, what an amazing movie! Also not really horror, but again a great social commentary. Love Jean Jacket 🥞

• Like 1

Everything Everywhere All At Once was pretty amazing.  At first I didn't like it, it took a second viewing and a Cinema Therapy episode to get me to see the genius lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nix said:

I dragged my friends too see Everything, Everywhere All At Once when it was in theaters and I haven’t stopped raving about it, it is so good! I even got the dvd so I could watch it on demand and shove it in more friends’ faces >:D One of my friends loved it so much he created his DnD warlock around it

Someone else who still does DVDs! I'm confident enough I'll enjoy it that I'm just gonna order the DVD next online essentials order I do. :D

Ah I grew up with the 80s cartoon so it has a special place in my heart. Turtles rule! The Bay movies were creepy, so I choose to ignore those exist. There is no war in Ba Sing Se ;)

Ah, I grew up on the 90s movies and then the 2k3 toon. The 2k3 toon esp has pretty different vibes! I think if I'd started with the 80s cartoon or watched the 80s cartoon at least before the 2k3 toon, I would really like it, but now I have Expectations, lol. I'm here for the angst. @_@

There is no war in Ba Sing Se! Same page.

And I finally watched Nope, what an amazing movie! Also not really horror, but again a great social commentary. Love Jean Jacket 🥞

I liked Nope, too! I don't really understand the massive amounts of critique it got. Really got under some folk's skin, lmao. It's one I'll have to rewatch to catch everything I missed, since I watched it at work (shhh, lol). The cast is absolutely amazing, though. How can you not at least be intrigued by it?

Ooh! I forgot You People came out on Netflix. Gonna give that one a watch soon, since I did think it looked pretty dang hilarious. Saw some great reviews of it already on twitter.

• Like 1

me when spiderman into the spiderverse singlehandedly started a new animation style where many movies then followed; like the bad guys; puss in boots and the lash wish; mitchells vs machines etc. arcane is also a brilliant show that has a similar 2d + 3d style but its not a movie; i still felt like including it tho

its so refreshing to finally see more stylized cinematic and animation bc ive already got tired of all the photorealistic styles pixar popularized. i just doesnt look appealing to me but its still impressive. i just prefer the 2d + 3d stylized movies more; it gives the animators more creativity and flexibility when it comes to filmmaking 

• Like 4

Found some good movies at Redbox.

Blood Quantum was so depressing. Good, but depression.

And omg. ALL of the feelings at Everything Everywhere All At Once. Humor, heartbreak, joy, envy, overwhelm... There was a short part of the movie where I was like "oh no, I've done it again; I had Expectations and ruined the movie for myself" and then something just switched and everything started hitting so powerfully. This movie was...emotionally overwhelming. I want pretty much every rock scene as one of those inspirational-type posters to hang in my apartment. I was exhausted by 6 or 7 PM today, and I think it was the ride EEAAO took me through.

• Like 1

I also loved Everything Everywhere All At Once.

Strangely I don't feel any urge to rewatch it though. For me the discovery was such a big part of the experience. I will rewatch it at some point I'm sure.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Renfield was sooo gory and funny and surprising and an overall amazing cast. I expected Cage to be a great Dracula, but I wasn't expecting Hoult to be that perfect of casting. The trailer was pretty focused on the Nic's, so I also had no idea Ben Schwartz and Awkwafina would be in the movie. Or Brandon Scott Jones. But holy cow, I really wasn't prepared for them to lean that hard into the toxic relationship exploration and wasn't at all mentally prepared to take that in when I was just expecting some good entertainment.

• Like 1

I'm so excited for the guardians of the galaxy vol. 3 to come out.

And the fact we may or may not be learning about Rocket's past is even more exciting (even though Ik what happened to him). I wonder who"bites the dust" in the movie.

I loved vol. 1 and vol. 2. They were really good, especially vol. 2. 

Ok but for real, how did they bring Gamora back? She's supposed to be dead. Maybe they bring her back in the movie? That's just a theory.  I don't know, but I want a logical explanation to something that seems so illogical to me. (Possible spoiler alert ahead!) And I heard from my guardian that they brought Yondu back? What? I thought that dude died. Allegedly she said that he was the same guy, but a different color. Maybe she's seeing things? 

On 1/29/2023 at 12:20 AM, Storm_leopardcat said:

Anyone watch Puss In Boots: The Last Wish? 

I HAVE!! Genuinely one of my favourite movies. I loved the way they portrayed Puss's panic attacks.

On 4/20/2023 at 2:19 PM, Eclipse said:

Ok but for real, how did they bring Gamora back? She's supposed to be dead. Maybe they bring her back in the movie? That's just a theory.  I don't know, but I want a logical explanation to something that seems so illogical to me. (Possible spoiler alert ahead!) And I heard from my guardian that they brought Yondu back? What? I thought that dude died. Allegedly she said that he was the same guy, but a different color. Maybe she's seeing things? 

In the movie Avengers end game a Gamora from a parallel universe came through together with Thanos to the marvel universe.

I've enjoyed the previous guardians movies but I'm getting a bit tired of the marvel universe so I'll probably wait to hear the reviews until I decided whether to watch it.