Movie discussion thread

Holmbo

A thread for random movie discussions. Post what movies you've watched lately and what you thought of them. Comment on other peoples thoughts. Broad spoilers is fine but if you go into plot in detail please put spoiler mark.

Two movies I watched recently and enjoyed is Barb and Star go to vista del mar and Encanto.

The first movie I watched cause it was on the top list of a critics review for a podcast I'm subscribing to. It's about two middle aged women who does everything together who decide to leave their comfort zone and go on a vacation. It was a very silly and at the first I found it kinda boring but after 40 minutes or so I got really into it and it was hilarious.

Encanto I watched cause I watched the trailer on tv. Swedish public television has a kinda weird Disney tradition which involves showing trailer for upcoming Disney movies. I thought the story and animation was really good but was kinda indifferent to the songs.

I had been thinking of going out to the movies to watch the matrix and encanto, but I decided against it because covid.

I think the last non-animated movie I actually saw was a horror movie called escape room, based on the concept of where you pay to get locked into a puzzle room and have to solve the puzzles to find the key to get out. It was really, really good - they put a lot of effort into the rooms and having each room represent issues that each of the main characters are having. some of the sets and ideas for different rooms were so good. The whole movie was really well put together, and i enjoyed it a lot.

[the most recent animated movie I watched was the PreCure Healin' Good movie, and it was alright. I thought the premise was interesting, and it sort of had a middle, and they had to rescue other kidnapped precures, which was fun.]

I just saw a movie today called "In The Heat Of The Night".  It's an older movie, but still very good.  It's set in the South, during...well...older days.  Basically, a black police officer travelling through the South is arrested on charge of a murder and winds up helping the police find the real killer.  In my opinion, it's really about the police chief of that town learning to be less racist.

I was sick for a while recently and ended up watching a couple of the Disney movies that I had not seen but heard good things about. Big Hero 6, which was ok, and Encanto, which I loved immensely. I have been pretty disillusioned with Disney stuff recently and had thought maybe I just got too old when this showed up. Encanto knows what it wants to convey, goes in for it, does it effectively and with a distinct aesthetic, I loved it.

The last movie I saw in cinema during a lull in the pandemic was the new Dune. I went to see it with my brother, he has read the book, I have not, and we both loved it. Highly recommend. Super cool. I attempted to read the book once, but only got a few pages in, I found it hard to read and confusing. But I think with the context of the movie, showing the events in an easier to understand manner, I could probably go back to the book and have an easier time with it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alto said:

I just saw a movie today called "In The Heat Of The Night".  It's an older movie, but still very good.  It's set in the South, during...well...older days.  Basically, a black police officer travelling through the South is arrested on charge of a murder and winds up helping the police find the real killer.  In my opinion, it's really about the police chief of that town learning to be less racist.

Oh yes, a great movie – starring Sidney Poitier, who died last week at 94 years.

• Like 1