Jump to content

Movie discussion thread


Holmbo
 Share

Recommended Posts

A thread for random movie discussions. Post what movies you've watched lately and what you thought of them. Comment on other peoples thoughts. Broad spoilers is fine but if you go into plot in detail please put spoiler mark.

Two movies I watched recently and enjoyed is Barb and Star go to vista del mar and Encanto.

The first movie I watched cause it was on the top list of a critics review for a podcast I'm subscribing to. It's about two middle aged women who does everything together who decide to leave their comfort zone and go on a vacation. It was a very silly and at the first I found it kinda boring but after 40 minutes or so I got really into it and it was hilarious.

Encanto I watched cause I watched the trailer on tv. Swedish public television has a kinda weird Disney tradition which involves showing trailer for upcoming Disney movies. I thought the story and animation was really good but was kinda indifferent to the songs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had been thinking of going out to the movies to watch the matrix and encanto, but I decided against it because covid.

I think the last non-animated movie I actually saw was a horror movie called escape room, based on the concept of where you pay to get locked into a puzzle room and have to solve the puzzles to find the key to get out. It was really, really good - they put a lot of effort into the rooms and having each room represent issues that each of the main characters are having. some of the sets and ideas for different rooms were so good. The whole movie was really well put together, and i enjoyed it a lot.

[the most recent animated movie I watched was the PreCure Healin' Good movie, and it was alright. I thought the premise was interesting, and it sort of had a middle, and they had to rescue other kidnapped precures, which was fun.]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just saw a movie today called "In The Heat Of The Night".  It's an older movie, but still very good.  It's set in the South, during...well...older days.  Basically, a black police officer travelling through the South is arrested on charge of a murder and winds up helping the police find the real killer.  In my opinion, it's really about the police chief of that town learning to be less racist.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was sick for a while recently and ended up watching a couple of the Disney movies that I had not seen but heard good things about. Big Hero 6, which was ok, and Encanto, which I loved immensely. I have been pretty disillusioned with Disney stuff recently and had thought maybe I just got too old when this showed up. Encanto knows what it wants to convey, goes in for it, does it effectively and with a distinct aesthetic, I loved it.

The last movie I saw in cinema during a lull in the pandemic was the new Dune. I went to see it with my brother, he has read the book, I have not, and we both loved it. Highly recommend. Super cool. I attempted to read the book once, but only got a few pages in, I found it hard to read and confusing. But I think with the context of the movie, showing the events in an easier to understand manner, I could probably go back to the book and have an easier time with it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got forced to watch the jungle (book originally by upton Sinclair) I almost threw up there was a to of gore and I've always been scared of that.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, alto said:

I just saw a movie today called "In The Heat Of The Night".  It's an older movie, but still very good.  It's set in the South, during...well...older days.  Basically, a black police officer travelling through the South is arrested on charge of a murder and winds up helping the police find the real killer.  In my opinion, it's really about the police chief of that town learning to be less racist.

Oh yes, a great movie – starring Sidney Poitier, who died last week at 94 years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Last night I watched Birds of Paradise. It was pretty good I'd say. I liked it. It was weird and kinda confusing at points and I'm unsure of what the point of the movie is but it's really pretty and I like the emotions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the Heat of the Night is a great classic, would definitely recommend that as one of those "everyone should watch at least once" movies.

On 3/13/2022 at 10:40 PM, lovelyleaf said:

Last night I watched Birds of Paradise. It was pretty good I'd say. I liked it. It was weird and kinda confusing at points and I'm unsure of what the point of the movie is but it's really pretty and I like the emotions.

I haven't seen this yet but I've seen some reviews comparing it (unfavourably) to Black Swan?

I did a rewatch of the Star Wars prequel trilogy recently (since the new Kenobi series is coming out soon). I remember when they came out they got so much hate, which was excessive, but they're not well-executed movies. Still very fun though, enjoyed the rewatch.

Edited by merlindfluorite
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, merlindfluorite said:

I haven't seen this yet but I've seen some reviews comparing it (unfavourably) to Black Swan?

I'd say they're not actually similar, they're just both centered around ballerinas, are very artistic, and dark thematically, so I see why they get compared but in my opinion they aren't really comparable. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went to see ‘Flee’ last week with a friend, and it was just us and one other person in the theater. I was really impressed, did not like the art style at first but quickly realised it helped to focus on the story instead of the gruesome details. Just read in an article that it has been nominated for several oscars, so hopefully more people will watch it.

1 hour ago, merlindfluorite said:

I did a rewatch of the Star Wars prequel trilogy recently (since the new Kenobi series is coming out soon). I remember when they came out they got so much hate, which was excessive, but they're not well-executed movies. Still very fun though, enjoyed the rewatch.

That is a really fun idea! I quite like the star wars movies, even though they are indeed not very good. I remember seeing the prequel movies when they first came out and finding the romance between Anakin and Padme really badly done. In hindsight it seems that was not just me being aro 😅

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lovelyleaf said:

I'd say they're not actually similar, they're just both centered around ballerinas, are very artistic, and dark thematically, so I see why they get compared but in my opinion they aren't really comparable. 

I'll check it out, ballet is usually a good movie theme

1 hour ago, Nix said:

I went to see ‘Flee’ last week with a friend, and it was just us and one other person in the theater. I was really impressed, did not like the art style at first but quickly realised it helped to focus on the story instead of the gruesome details. Just read in an article that it has been nominated for several oscars, so hopefully more people will watch it.

That is a really fun idea! I quite like the star wars movies, even though they are indeed not very good. I remember seeing the prequel movies when they first came out and finding the romance between Anakin and Padme really badly done. In hindsight it seems that was not just me being aro 😅

Flee is absolutely on my list. It's got so many nominations. It's hard for an animated doc to get so much attention so I'm looking forward to it.

The Anakin & Padme romance was so badly done, it was such a jaw-dropping problem. They specifically set out to make Anakin a whiny teenager and then were shocked when the audience didn't get why the Most Competent Woman in the galaxy fell for him. There was so much excess they could have cut of those films to make time for more character development.

I will say that I do remember watching the final fight scene in Ep 1 and I was on the edge of my seat. Ewan McGregor made a great Obi-Wan.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, merlindfluorite said:

They specifically set out to make Anakin a whiny teenager and then were shocked when the audience didn't get why the Most Competent Woman in the galaxy fell for him. There was so much excess they could have cut of those films to make time for more character development.

You hit the nail on the head with this! I don’t mind romance in movies when it is well done and makes sense within the narrative, so they definitly should have spend more time on this one since it is so integral to the plot.

11 hours ago, merlindfluorite said:

I will say that I do remember watching the final fight scene in Ep 1 and I was on the edge of my seat. Ewan McGregor made a great Obi-Wan.

Oh yes, I loved that fight too! So when Dual of the Fates started playing in the Kenobi trailer is was instantly hyped.

Edited by Nix
Spelling
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Nix said:

You hit the nail on the head with this! I don’t mind romance in movies when it is well done and makes sense within the narrative, so they definitly should have spend more time on this one since it is so integral to the plot.

Oh yes, I loved that fight too! So when Dual of the Fates started playing in the Kenobi trailer is was instantly hyped.

Absolutely yes. Incredible music score. Dual of the Fates is spine-tingling stuff for me, I love it. Also I had no idea that

Spoiler

in the cartoon Maul comes back, which is Clone Wars, but I don't know if he might show up in this new Kenobi for another epic showdown.

It's so difficult with romance in movies. There are some great ones that I can get onboard with, but then there are some that just come off as contrived hallmark nonsense. Brendan Fraser & Rachel Weiss in the Mummy? Epic. Beautiful. Wonderful. The Notebook? Toxic. Stop yelling. This can't be love. This can't be what you're encouraging me to 'give it a try' for?

I feel like every script writer should just run their romance story by a non-averse aro person. Just to check. 🤣

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, merlindfluorite said:

I feel like every script writer should just run their romance story by a non-averse aro person. Just to check. 🤣

Brilliant idea 😎 Sometimes in movies the romance is so toxic that I have to check in with my allo friends ‘Uhm, this is not ok, surely?’

Also regarding

Spoiler

Maul still being alive, I knew that because I watched bits of the Clone Wars cartoon so I really hope he makes a return in Kenobi 🤞🏻

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, alto said:

Encanto was pretty damn good, especially seeing as there was NO ROMO

I do appreciate the slate of animated Disney/Pixar films that steer clear of romance - Encanto, Moana, Frozen (to a certain extent), Brave, Coco, I'm sure I'm forgetting some important ones. It's nice to not have it be all princes and princesses!

9 hours ago, Nix said:

Brilliant idea 😎 Sometimes in movies the romance is so toxic that I have to check in with my allo friends ‘Uhm, this is not ok, surely?’

Also regarding

  Reveal hidden contents

Maul still being alive, I knew that because I watched bits of the Clone Wars cartoon so I really hope he makes a return in Kenobi 🤞🏻

 

I will need to watch that animated series then! Apart from the original and prequel trilogies I really have watched much SW content. I tried episode 7, which was fun-ish, but lost me on episode 8. A friend gave me a summary of ep9 and I have no interest in watching that at all.

You know what, we should have a list of questionable romance movies and call it the 'Do You Suspect You Might Be Aromantic? Try These Movies & Find Out!" list 🤣

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, merlindfluorite said:

You know what, we should have a list of questionable romance movies and call it the 'Do You Suspect You Might Be Aromantic? Try These Movies & Find Out!" list 🤣

That would be brilliant lol

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, merlindfluorite said:

You know what, we should have a list of questionable romance movies and call it the 'Do You Suspect You Might Be Aromantic? Try These Movies & Find Out!" list 🤣

That is a great idea! You could start a topic about it, I think I have some movies in mind already 😅

And yeah, you don’t really miss much by not watching the newer Star Wars movies. I liked 7, 8 was okay and halfway through 9 I thought ‘what is happening!?’ but I set my mind to ‘popcorn mode’ and made it to the end just fine ;)

I guess I mainly like Star Wars for the universe, love the Mandelorian and Boba Fett and I really liked the Knights of the Old Republic games. Plus as I said what I’ve seen of the Clone Wars cartoon it is very promising. I even watched the one that is no longer considered canon, by Genndy Tartakovsky. Loved the art of that one. Plus general Grievous is an actual badass in it and I have a soft spot for androids/robots/cyborgs.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, alto said:

That would be brilliant lol

5 hours ago, Nix said:

That is a great idea! You could start a topic about it, I think I have some movies in mind already 😅

I'm gonna do it 🤣

On a different note, I just saw a trailer for Morbius. How does this thread feel about Jared Leto and vampires? I gotta say my fave vampire movie is What We Do in the Shadows, instant classic.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love What we do in the shadows! The series is great too. Vampires are usually portrayed as these beautiful tortured creatures, but the idea that they are totally out of touch with current times and kind of stupid makes them way better.

Not sure how to feel about Jared Leto as he creeps me out. Also I remember cartoon Morbius having these funky mouths on his handpalms. Did they decide that was too weird?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Nix said:

I love What we do in the shadows! The series is great too. Vampires are usually portrayed as these beautiful tortured creatures, but the idea that they are totally out of touch with current times and kind of stupid makes them way better.

Not sure how to feel about Jared Leto as he creeps me out. Also I remember cartoon Morbius having these funky mouths on his handpalms. Did they decide that was too weird?

I didn't see any funky handmouths in the trailer, but perhaps they're keeping that a surprise? Jared hasn't had much luck picking film projects imo, apart from Requiem and Dallas Buyers Club.

Yes absolutely! There is so much comedy in the idea of out of touch old vampires trying to keep up with the all the current fashions. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Interview with the Vampire as much as the next person but it seems like it's been a while since a good dramatic vampire movie. I don't even know if you could make one after all the years of Twilight and Tru Blood etc. Who would take it seriously?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, merlindfluorite said:

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Interview with the Vampire as much as the next person but it seems like it's been a while since a good dramatic vampire movie.

Yes, vampires have been a bit overused in the last… twenty years or so? Though I feel that the Castlevania cartoon was a pretty good recent dramatic vampire series. The vampires that weren’t Dracula that is, because he was just extremely depressed.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Nix said:

Yes, vampires have been a bit overused in the last… twenty years or so? Though I feel that the Castlevania cartoon was a pretty good recent dramatic vampire series. The vampires that weren’t Dracula that is, because he was just extremely depressed.

He did go through a lot. Poor guy. You're right though it was good, it must be due for a new series soon? 

I just remembered as I was typing this out that they are making a new Dracula movie, but focused on Renfield - and Nicholas Cage is cast as Dracula.

Just the most insane casting choice. I can't wait to see that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recently watched Encanto cause a friend told me he has this one song stuck in her hears...it was pretty nice but way to much singing why they start singing so often!? Neko Say's don't make muscial show just to say hello xD

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, merlindfluorite said:

I just remembered as I was typing this out that they are making a new Dracula movie, but focused on Renfield - and Nicholas Cage is cast as Dracula.

Wow what? I HAVE to look into that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...