Musical tastes?

Ugh...

Hey, I'm curious to know what kind of music do you listen to! And why do you like it so much? Oh, and if you have super specific preferences, an exemple would be more than welcome ;)

I listen to jazz (and play it) for the liberty of improvisation and the "colourful" chords, I listen to classic for emotional and/or intellectual mood, I love melodic, folk, death, new genre, and many other kinds of metal for the same reasons as for classic, and I ramble to other stuff when I feel like learning something (currently learning about black midi... this thing is so sick!!!)

This should be a good opportunity to learn about you guys and discover some new stuff :3

I really like alternative music and what's dubbed as singer/songwriter. All the artists have such unique sound and it's such a broad genre so there is soooo much great music to find. (✧▿✧) I also enjoy listening to classical but I'm not a snob about it like I find lots of people to be <.<  I'm not very specific about what I like though. It's really just if I like it then I like and if I don't then I don't but I won't turn down simillar music because of it. 

11 minutes ago, Starry Sky said:

I also enjoy listening to classical but I'm not a snob about it like I find lots of people to be <.<

haha don't worry there are plenty of snobs in jazz too xD and purists.. which are even worst

I enjoy listening to many styles of music. That said I do have a specific preference (which isn't specific to genre but still) for music which has a heavy focus on melody rather than rhythm and singing. I originally found this through metal, particularly DragonForce, but then I found chiptune. Chiptune is by far my favourite style (it's not a genre because chiptune can be of any genre) of music.

The idea of chiptune is to create music using old computer hardware and game consoles mostly from the 1980s but sometimes from the early 1990s. This forces the artist into making music within very specific constraints. While the constraints do vary between different pieces of hardware, the biggest constraint is by far the limited number of channels available.  For example, the nintendo gameboy has only four channels, meaning that it can only play 4 different monotonic sounds at one time (or 5 if you are really clever). One of these channels is only capable of making "noise" and is usually used for things like snare drum and cymbal sounds. What the limited number of channels does is makes you do away with chords and focus solely on melody and counter-melody (and a bassline). It also leads to chiptune having a very unique sound style, as the artists use clever workarounds to simulate things like chords.

As I said before, chiptune is a style of sound, not a genre of music, as it can be of any genre. I've listened to EDM chiptune (tends to be the most common genre), metal chiptune, punk rock chiptune, and even jazz/funk chiptune. Of course there is no shortage of chiptune which emulates the sound of old video games.

I was actually planning on writing my own chiptune music last summer holidays. I learnt the basics of LSDJ (software to create music on a gameboy) but I never got round to actually writing my own music. I might try next summer holidays when I have plenty of time.

EDIT: @Ugh... There are snobs and purists within any genre of music. Chiptune has purists who believe that "true" chiptune must be created on old hardware and that emulation of the old hardware, as well as combining the sounds with real instruments and modern electronic music techniques, cannot be called chiptune but instead "fakebit".

@Zemaddog I had already heard about it, but I never had  the time to learn about it as much as I would have liked to... Big thanx for remembering me! ^^ 

Also,

13 minutes ago, Zemaddog said:

There are snobs and purists within any genre of music

that is very true...

For me personally, new grave (Preferably because my band is as such).

Time for a short music history lesson : 

The term was coined by two popular alt rock magazines a year or so ago. As well as a fair amount of bands.  The bands that forged the sound originally would of course be post-hardcore and emo plus screamo with a 'gothic' or 'dark' twist. 

One of the bands popular during the early days would be Aiden , with that certain sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnDYOjdeks4 They recently did their farewell tour and released a last album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qahOtsREWGE

Then there's bands such as I Am Ghost, Alesana and a couple others.

In recent times though, when people started calling it 'new grave', bands such as FVK (Fearless vampire killers) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK0_0Eyn2Bg , Creeper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sumAxp4tjRc  and Ashestoangels  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0PHTcLXkZE , fit the new sound that is definitely the old stuff with a new twist and with the term ' new grave ' being given, it's starting to really become popular in the underground.

Creeper as above, are signed to roadrunner , which is a pretty big deal. 

Every band has their own style of new grave , FVK being more theatrical with pop tendencies, creeper being more driving punk riffs with quiet classic rock breaks and ashestoangels having a more punk sound with gothic tendencies

The thing they all share is the darkness they sing and the punk to punk esque style they play, being new grave.

I'm into a lot of genres of electronic music. We like to split hairs with genre labeling so there's only like a hundred gazillion names to choose from. I enjoy listening to http://www.di.fm where they have over 50 channels to choose from. I've been enjoying the Melodic Progressive and Atmospheric Breaks channels the most lately. But, I also enjoy Trance, though a lot of new trance has a crappy pop sound to it. I enjoy the kind of trance that is more melodic, and some newer stuff by artists like Soundlift is heavily influenced by classical music. It's some very beautiful music. Freeform, UK Hardcore, Hard Trance, Drum & Bass, Chillout, it's all good to me.

I also produce music as a hobby. Here's some free Chillout albums:

http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/blue-phoenix-descent-to-heaven

http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/blue-phoenix-source-of-hope

I listen mostly - only - to classical music of the Classical era or alternative rock. I know, I'm picky. (I also simply cannot appreciate art in anything but a technical manner, but that's another topic for another time.)

I love classical music mainly because I studied it for just about my entire life. The pieces (concertos, solos, symphonies) I tend to enjoy usually employ complex melodies and rhythms and happen to be quite technical. I specifically like the Classical era, because the structure and texture and the timbre agree with me. Also I've got a teensy bit of a grudge towards the Baroque era (you try playing Bach's fugues on the piano and see how you like him afterwards), while the Romantic era and 20th Century stuff is usually hit or miss. I find the Romantic era has too many slow, pedal-y pieces which get kind of boring, and i mean, the name, it's like a big bloody red flag. Romantic era. Hmmph! I'd like an Aromantic era very much, thank you. :)

Alt rock (at least I think it's alt rock) like Bastille, Coldplay or All Time Low is really cool to listen to because of the rhythms, and the overlapping melodies (this seems to be consistent in songs I like). I rarely listen for the lyrics or the band members.

I don't listen much to music, but if I do, then classical music. I just think popular music is always really repetitive and by far not as complex as classical music. I've got tickets for the bayreuth festival this year and I'm going to see/hear the ring there. This was the first year that I tried to get tickets and I did, while most people wait for 7 years or longer to get tickets xD 

2 hours ago, Midnightrune said:

I find the Romantic era has too many slow, pedal-y pieces which get kind of boring, and i mean, the name, it's like a big bloody red flag. Romantic era. Hmmph! I'd like an Aromantic era very much, thank you. :)

I agree, I'm not a fan of the romantic era either.

Classical/Romantic piano to play and listen to. Relaxing electronic music and the more early psychedelic electronica. Sort of like vapourwave but faster. If you've listened to any stuff by Joji (not pink guy but I like that too) it's that kind of chill music. Also Rizzle Kicks are making a comeback soon and I'm excited!

Plus anything on 6music (so rock and alternative) that is my favourite radio station.

7 hours ago, Midnightrune said:

Also I've got a teensy bit of a grudge towards the Baroque era (you try playing Bach's fugues on the piano and see how you like him afterwards)

Haha I sooooooo agree with you on that! They are good to strengthen you fingers though.

I have pretty varied musical tastes; honestly, I don't think there's a genre I dislike.  Putting my Spotify on shuffle can be a jarring experience ;).  I love music, and I'm one of those people who has to have music on at all times.  I'd say I listen to R&B, pop, hard rock/metal, and musical theater (Broadway) most frequently.  I'm into vocals, so I'm drawn to music with good vocal performances above all else.  If I find a singer's voice to be bad or irritating in some way, I typically can't listen to the song even if it's good. 

I love, love, love trance and ambient. Anything that helps me with meditation and mental experiences, and fills my mind with beauty and joy like no other music can.

And as an 80s child, I've always kept some fondness for the music of that decade. 

Thrash metal would be my main genre that I listen to. I've recently been poking around listening to melodeath lately. Other than I listen to random bits and pieces, mostly rock/metal.

Lets see. A bit of everything I guess? I have spent most of my teenage socializing experiences in dimly lit, filthy rock pubs, so I'm quite familiar with the generic rock/metal/punk bands, although I mostly only tolerate them as background music. I̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶n̶e̶a̶k̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶c̶a̶l̶ ̶f̶e̶t̶i̶s̶h̶ ̶b̶a̶r̶s̶/̶c̶a̶f̶e̶s̶ so as a result, I listen to quite a bit of crappy beepy synthpop and glam rock.

I like quite a few genres of punk, oldschool goth stuff, rockabilly, 50's, 70's and 80's rock in general. Experimental, avant-garde, oldschool industrial kinda stuff that sounds like cutlery in a tumble dryer.9_9 Dream pop, shoegaze, those kind of sounds? And feminist/queer alternative/rock/punk.

tl,dr I have an awful taste in music.

Archived