Do you Consider Being Aro LGBTQ?

crazydreamer

Do you Consider Being Aro LGBTQ?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was talking to my friend who's trans-masc about LGBTQ identities and when I brought up being aromatic we started talking about it.  He was super chill but he mentioned that some people don't consider aromanticism and asexuality LGBT or being heterosexual, which I did know about. But then he told me about  SGRM (Sexual, Gender & Romantic minority) and how some people identify under that. So I want to know from some of the Aro's here what you identify as and why.

• Like 1

I definitely agree that it should be represented in the LGBTQ+ community, but should be distinct in that Asexual, Lesbian, etc etc are all sexualities, and that has no ties to Romantic Orientation/Identity.

You can be a lesbian aro, a bi aro, an ace aro, but you don't really have a lot of lesbian aces or gay pansexuals, you know?

I absolutely believe that someone who is heterosexual, cisgendered, and aromantic should be part of that LGB... community, but aromanticism shouldn't be lumped into the LGB... bubble. 

It's a queer identity, just as Trans and gender identies are, but it should be distinctualized. 

When I first enter the community I thought we didn't, because aro's problem is amatonormativity, not cis or heteronormativity. But if we follow the idea,  then gay/bi/etc should not be in the same community as trans because cis and heteronormativity are not the same either.

Now, I just take the idea that everything queer is in the LGBT+. As aros are queer, we belong to the community.

I think LGBTQ is about differing from the norm in term if romantic and/or sexual relationship, and/or gender. And aro fits that definition even if it is not in the same sense as other orientations. It is not as visible but it is still different.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno I think aro and possibly even ace would be better served in a group against amatonormativity in general politically speaking there is more in common there.  (Also thats not to say there arent aros or aces ya know in sexual relationships)

Though lgbt+ issues are getting more attention so at least there is more awareness raising but I dunno beyond pride flags and the understanding it exists what is being done (plus pride seems to be more and more a money making thing).

Like I see more misunderstandings and people mocking it if anything even from homosexual orientated people or people who would even support the idea of alternate ways of relationships as they don't see the point of it. Even those who defend ace from being mocked don't go on to defend aro. Aces negate sexuality all together and aros negate the romance. Some of this is pushback against the labelling and micro-labelling culture too though.

I don't think it should be SGRM at all however as that seems even more vague. 

Edited by mewix

• 2 months later...

I think aro should be considered under the A of lgbtqia+ with ace and agender. Especially because this acronym is the most widely known, and thus easier to spread awareness with. Though no objections from me if you prefer sgrm or mogai ( Marginalized Orientations Gender Alignments and Intersex).

The most important thing is that you are comfortable with your own label (or lack thereoff)

On 5/19/2021 at 4:50 PM, crazydreamer said:

I was talking to my friend who's trans-masc about LGBTQ identities and when I brought up being aromatic we started talking about it.  He was super chill but he mentioned that some people don't consider aromanticism and asexuality LGBT or being heterosexual, which I did know about

??

certainly aro isn’t LGBT, which is lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender. So it’s part of LGBTQ by virtue of being queer. And heterosexual isn’t LGBTQ… that should be obvious?

On 5/19/2021 at 10:50 AM, crazydreamer said:

I was talking to my friend who's trans-masc about LGBTQ identities and when I brought up being aromatic we started talking about it.  He was super chill but he mentioned that some people don't consider aromanticism and asexuality LGBT or being heterosexual, which I did know about. But then he told me about  SGRM (Sexual, Gender & Romantic minority) and how some people identify under that. So I want to know from some of the Aro's here what you identify as and why.

I think it's apart of the lgbtq+ community. SGRM (In my opinion) are LGBTQ+.