Aromantic artists

Tarantulapaws

Wanted to start a thread if there isn't already one goin'. Currently I have the attention span of a flee so if I missed a thread I'm so sorry. This is mostly about aromantic artists (writing, drawing, music and other methods of creation are all art) as well as aromantic art and the experiences of aromantic artists. 

I just really wanted to say that as a huge shipper I was surprised that my own writing doesn't organically focus on shipping at all. I can write and create romantic content, but it's just not the first place I go in making anything... Despite how many years I'd spent involved in shipping culture. It's a little funny to me. In hindsight this should have been a hint when I was a kid that I was aro. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

I do writing, art, and sewing/costume design!

Aaaa that is so cool!!! I've always wanted to do costumes myself but sadly my budget has always been tight, especially lately. What kind of costumes do you make, and also what do you sew in general? 

I'm actually a little bit new to both sewing and costume design, since I only really started actively trying to do them within the past few years. In general, though, I mostly do lolita fashion and cosplay; My most accomplished cosplays would probably be Pharaoh Atem (2019) and Fujiwara no Sai (2018), although the latter I would really like to remake with something a bit more period + nice looking than shitty plain cotton... I tried to remake the kariginu last year using some sort of? Satin... something-or-other?? But I never figured out how to sew it properly :(

My current projects are deck bags for all my TCG friends, embellishing an old vest to give it a more Babymetal look, and then I'm going to hopefully attempt to make my first corset. If all goes well I'm going to be a scarab fairy as my renfaire costume this year (partly because it's an excuse to recycle some of the jewelry from my Atem cosplay, because STONKS), assuming the plague has died down enough by June to actually have a renfaire at all...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

I'm actually a little bit new to both sewing and costume design, since I only really started actively trying to do them within the past few years. In general, though, I mostly do lolita fashion and cosplay; My most accomplished cosplays would probably be Pharaoh Atem (2019) and Fujiwara no Sai (2018), although the latter I would really like to remake with something a bit more period + nice looking than shitty plain cotton... I tried to remake the kariginu last year using some sort of? Satin... something-or-other?? But I never figured out how to sew it properly :(

My current projects are deck bags for all my TCG friends, embellishing an old vest to give it a more Babymetal look, and then I'm going to hopefully attempt to make my first corset. If all goes well I'm going to be a scarab fairy as my renfaire costume this year (partly because it's an excuse to recycle some of the jewelry from my Atem cosplay, because STONKS), assuming the plague has died down enough by June to actually have a renfaire at all...

Those cosplays are freaking awesome!! (I noticed the aro pin, too!) All of those things sound cool, I'm especially interested in how that vest might turn out. And speaking of that plague, my own costume for a local con had actually been planned to be a plague doctor before things happened. Otherwise my own projects are a lot less cool. Kinda tried and failed to turn an old prom dress into a long skirt for optimal nonbinary fashion, but it kinda fell apart...

I hope that renfaire happens for you!!!

--

To bring up another topic, I was wondering... Anyone know if Miles Sumney is aromantic? I heard he was, and fact checked to find out that he did indeed say he was... I posted about it some time ago and someone told me he was not. Does anyone maybe know more about this?

Also. to start a bit of a discussion about aromantic musicians, can I say how much I LOVE cavetown??? Like shut up??? We get a cool artist like that dropping songs I can relate to so deeply??? Who said a single artist could even do that????

Edit: ....I officially do not understand how arocalypse works..it just added to my response to you...

• Like 1

I do sewing/cosplay too! I really like the musician Cavetown. He has said that he is pretty sure he’s somewhere on the spectrum, but not 100%.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Korbin said:

I just really wanted to say that as a huge shipper I was surprised that my own writing doesn't organically focus on shipping at all.

Same. I don't go crazy about it, but I can picture some characters being a couple.

I can have romance in my stories, but it doesn't focus on it. I just write a romantic subplot if I feel it is right for the two character.

I also have a story where I have no romance at all. In fact, if I write a sequel,  the main character will be reveals to be allo aro. But most of my beta readers were shipping her with the other main character, or at least expecting her to be.

As you said, it was a big sign of us being aromantic.

3 hours ago, Korbin said:

know if Miles Sumney is aromantic? I heard he was, and fact checked to find out that he did indeed say he was... I posted about it some time ago and someone told me he was not.

I think he is? If even himself say he is..  did the person say he was not has any sources? Anyway if the guy say he is, I can't see why he would lie...

3 hours ago, Korbin said:

Edit: ....I officially do not understand how arocalypse works..it just added to my response to you...

So there is no double post, your responses are merged if no one posted after your first post. If I make sense, I'm not good at explaining.

I love music! I love Michael Jackson's songs, singing a dancing to it. I had a few performances about it :D Otherwise I had a few performances singing and dancing(always in the same time) to other songs. I play a piano too. I try making music, on my YouTube channel there are a few projects(some short melodies) and 2 covers but my voice from more more than 1 year ago doesn't sound good in them ? I'm fascinated by conducting in symphony orchestra and want to do it one day, but I even haven't started ;)

I think that's all :)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Adriano said:

I love music! I love Michael Jackson's songs, singing a dancing to it. I had a few performances about it :D Otherwise I had a few performances singing and dancing(always in the same time) to other songs. I play a piano too. I try making music, on my YouTube channel there are a few projects(some short melodies) and 2 covers but my voice from more more than 1 year ago doesn't sound good in them ? I'm fascinated by conducting in symphony orchestra and want to do it one day, but I even haven't started ;)

I think that's all :)

Woa that's cool. Tying to get into music myself but my family keeps having to pawn my guitar and all I have to play at the moment is a cheap keyboard. Pianos are awesome. My sibling used to have one but they never learned how to play it. I was soooo jealous. I also used to play violin.

Been considering doing covers, or at least learning how to sing as I'd like to maybe do voice acting someday- and also because as a trans person it's also been a dream of mine to do a pre hrt and post hrt duet. 

You have a youtube? Would you mind sharing? I'm just curious. 

6 hours ago, Korbin said:

Woa that's cool. Tying to get into music myself but my family keeps having to pawn my guitar and all I have to play at the moment is a cheap keyboard. Pianos are awesome. My sibling used to have one but they never learned how to play it. I was soooo jealous. I also used to play violin.

Been considering doing covers, or at least learning how to sing as I'd like to maybe do voice acting someday- and also because as a trans person it's also been a dream of mine to do a pre hrt and post hrt duet. 

You have a youtube? Would you mind sharing? I'm just curious. 

I say I play piano, but it's keyboard too haha but so good keyboard that imitates a piano. I don't know if sharing my Youtube channel will be comply with rules on forum. I send you by private message ;)

I'm a writer. I've never found it particularly hard to write romance because there's so much of it in the media, I know how it's "supposed" to feel. But I generally give more weight to platonic relationships because I get more emotionally invested in them.

Also, I recently wrote a blog post about aromantic characters (or lack thereof) in fiction: https://corastillwrites.wordpress.com/ 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Skittles87 said:

I'm a writer. I've never found it particularly hard to write romance because there's so much of it in the media, I know how it's "supposed" to feel. But I generally give more weight to platonic relationships because I get more emotionally invested in them.

Also, I recently wrote a blog post about aromantic characters (or lack thereof) in fiction: https://corastillwrites.wordpress.com/ 

I'll be sure to check this out!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I am a pianist, but funnily enough, my favorite period of music to play is Romantic, closely followed by Baroque.

I am playing Clair de Lune right now, and my setting that I use to summon the "right" feeling was just the moon (and an empty recital space). But recently my teacher asked me to do research into the motivation behind the song, and every single article was speculating if it was about romance. With no evidence besides "the moon is romantic." I just wanted to find Debussey's process, not that nonsense.

• Like 1