How Many Times Have You Heard This?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate this so much!

My mom says it at least once a week. And she always assumes the gender, too! That makes it even worse! She also says things like "Oh, you can only date Jewish people and they can't be trans blah blah" and I get really pissed, even though I probably won't date. And then when I imply my possible aromanticism, she thinks I'm too young, that I'm repressed, etc.

I used to get the "you need to get a girlfriend" routine a lot from friends and family. But coming out about being aro ace seems to have put a stop to it.

Jus remember that they are only asking/assuming because they want you to be happy. If they don't know that you have no intention of going down that route then they will always assume the default.

1 minute ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

Jus remember that they are only asking/assuming because they want you to be happy. If they don't know that you have no intention of going down that route then they will always assume the default.

That is true and it's important to remember, but still I can't help but find it annoying. I can't wait until I'm independent and I can come out, and then people will stop :P

Before I discovered asexuality and aromanticism, I basically thought to myself:

"Okay, I don't have crushes yet. Better wait it out until I do.

*4 years after puberty*

Umm… this is taking a little longer than expected."

And then I confessed to my friends once that I didn't want to marry, like it was some shameful secret. They were all pretty awesome about it, so technically I came out of the closet before I even knew I was in one!

Only to that group of friends, though ;)

Oh yes, definitely get this one a lot 9_9.  It annoys me much more when it comes from family and friends, as I feel like they should know me better; I've said since I was about 5 that I'm not ever getting married.  I think my family thought it was cute when I was little.  Then they started getting concerned.

All the time, oh my god. I'm out to my mom, but I feel like she's either in denial or doesn't fully understand what aromantic really means. She's always saying stuff like "when you meet the right man..." or whatever, implying that not only will I have romantic feelings in the future, it also implies that I'm sad (?) about not having romantic feelings?

I hear it a lot too. But I do actually want to get married someday just to have kids though. Like a long term FWB or QPR who also wants kids would awesome to get married to.

I haven't gotten that a lot lately, but I'll never forget this one rude comment I got when I mentioned that I'm a musician.

"If you want to do music, then you better marry a rich husband."

12 minutes ago, Mezzo Forte said:

I haven't gotten that a lot lately, but I'll never forget this one rude comment I got when I mentioned that I'm a musician.

Ugh, I hate comments like that! It always makes me angry when someone implies I need a husband for anything--just because I'm female-bodied doesn't mean I can't take care of myself thanks. 

I get lots of "when you're married" type comments too.  Part of me knows they just assume that marriage will make me happy, but I'm still a bit bothered by the assumption that one day I'll want a husband.

I still remember when I was talking to my undergrad advisor about whether or not grad school would be the right choice for me, he started telling me what his grad school experience was like, and he happened to already be married at the time.  He then said that one important thing I should consider when making a decision is the difficulties of startig a family while in grad school, because I "seem like the type of person who would want to get married early".  I almost laughed aloud when he said that, because it couldn't be farther from the truth.

I also have an elderly great-aunt, who thinks it's an absolute disgrace that I'm 21 and don't even have a boyfriend yet.  In her mind the only reason a girl should go to college is to find a husband, and she thinks my plans of studing computer science on my own is ridiculous.  I know she's just set in her ways, but I'm always fighting back anger every time she dismisses what I actually want to criticize my lack of a husband.

3 hours ago, Mezzo Forte said:

Jeez! That's awful :(

Archived