Aros in Science

P4R4D0X

• P4R4D0X changed the title to Aros in Science

at this point we should just make a thread for my status updates

hey there, I’m an asexual questioning aromantic. I’m studying to go into animal or veterinary sciences. My current obsession is with cleaning old skulls. I currently have 11

Edited by organs and bone
oops wrong number of skulls
  • Like 3

I've been lured out of silently watching the forums by the mention of science :P I'm studying biochem(maybe?) and work as a lab assistant in an analytical chemistry lab! I'm interested in chemistry, cellular biology, and microbes. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rather be Reading said:

I've been lured out of silently watching the forums by the mention of science :P I'm studying biochem(maybe?) and work as a lab assistant in an analytical chemistry lab! I'm interested in chemistry, cellular biology, and microbes. 

👀 ooh very interesting!!

18 hours ago, organs and bone said:

at this point we should just make a thread for my status updates

You know what i just did.

• 3 weeks later...

Science, you say? I'm an archaeologist, and do paleontological monitoring on the side. I don't really get to do much serious scientific analysis, since I work in environmental compliance and mostly do fieldwork, but I love the more technical side of things and have an academic background in paleoclimatology.

The cool part about being an aro arch is that I can just say yes to digging holes in the desert for months at a time without worrying about how it would affect my partner XD

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rook on the Hook said:

Science, you say? I'm an archaeologist, and do paleontological monitoring on the side. I don't really get to do much serious scientific analysis, since I work in environmental compliance and mostly do fieldwork, but I love the more technical side of things and have an academic background in paleoclimatology.

The cool part about being an aro arch is that I can just say yes to digging holes in the desert for months at a time without worrying about how it would affect my partner XD

oh that’s amazing! I got the chance to meet an palentologist and they were amazing. They helped id some of my skulls :) :Yespapo:

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 7:20 AM, N1GHTM4R3 said:

I believe this belongs here.

I dunno, chat about science.

(Inspiration from @organs and bone's crazy status updates)

Hello fellow science aross!

I am aromantic and somewhere on ace spectrum!! I study physics at uni and i am kinda mad about science specially physics!!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, organs and bone said:

oh that’s amazing! I got the chance to meet an palentologist and they were amazing. They helped id some of my skulls :) :Yespapo:

oh that's super cool! I've actually been thinking about starting a bone collection myself, I just don't know if I have the storage space for a bunch of long bones in addition to my reference collection of local flintknapping materials.

8 hours ago, Rook on the Hook said:

oh that's super cool! I've actually been thinking about starting a bone collection myself, I just don't know if I have the storage space for a bunch of long bones in addition to my reference collection of local flintknapping materials.

ah flintknapping’s super cool! I have 13ish skulls right now in my collection and some smaller bones, nothing much interesting. there is a deer carcass near where I live, I went and checked it out but only the vertebrae, pelvis, and ribs remained, so nothing I really want nor have the supplies to clean :(

• Like 1

I have an M.Sc. in mathematics. Does that count as science (it's not empirical...) 🙂

I'm a software developer now.

Edited by DeltaAro
  • Like 2

On 3/1/2024 at 9:24 PM, smac n cheese said:

hi science aros! I'm aro and like 99% sure I'm ace, and I LOVE blowing stuff up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes.

I will learn about practically anything in science as long as people can explain it in an interesting way.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm an engineering aro lol. I'm in high school but plan on going into environmental engineering. And as it is known, women are a minority in stem. It's fun being the only queer girl in a room full of straight guys. My only queer female friend dropped engineering and took theater like no hate to the theater gays but come on we need more diversity. Anyone else relate?

On 3/1/2024 at 6:24 PM, smac n cheese said:

hi science aros! I'm aro and like 99% sure I'm ace, and I LOVE blowing stuff up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You and Wylan van Eck would be good friends, just an aro and a gay casually (KAZually) blowing shit up.

If you understood that reference you're a real one

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Leistorm said:

I'm an engineering aro lol. I'm in high school but plan on going into environmental engineering. And as it is known, women are a minority in stem. It's fun being the only queer girl in a room full of straight guys. My only queer female friend dropped engineering and took theater like no hate to the theater gays but come on we need more diversity. Anyone else relate?

Oh gosh, i’m so sorry 😞 

Be better than everyone else, okay! Us female queers in science are the minority but we still exist!  don’t give up :))

• Like 1

I study aerospace engineering, but recently I've been feeling drained because of it and pulled towards handcraft (like crocheting and knitting). However, I still want to continue my career in a programming field and treat handcrafting as an escape and a way of regenerating.
Speaking of queer people in STEM, I'm a member of a queer-people-associating organisation that was created at my university. This organisation is some kind of phenomenon in a country-scale as a queer organisation at a technical university (or university of technology some might say). I haven't met there anybody openly aromantic or aro-spec besides myself - BUT on one meeting was a person wearing friendship-style bracelets that looked like greysexual and greyromantic flags, so here's that.

Edited by flyineeyore
typo
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, flyineeyore said:

I study aerospace engineering, but recently I've been feeling drained because of it and pulled towards handcraft (like crocheting and knitting). 

That's amazing that you're in aerospace engineering, I would love to study it when I go to uni

On 4/8/2024 at 11:28 AM, Leistorm said:

I definitely relate. The years I spent living as a butch woman in my exceedingly male-dominated drone and GIS classes were isolating, to say the least, and now being the only trans man on any given construction site can be challenging. If it's any comfort, I've met a ton of women in STEM (queer and otherwise) working in the environmental industry. Geotechnical engineering, archaeology and biology in particular seem to have pretty even gender-ratios in my experience.

And yeah, nothing but love to the theatre gays but it's very weird going online and seeing that all the STEM and especially the blue collar gays who make up my IRL queer community are completely absent from the discussion and culture.

On 3/1/2024 at 6:24 PM, smac n cheese said:

If I told my ex about you, she would freak out.

On 4/8/2024 at 2:28 PM, Leistorm said:

There are a bunch of CS and STEM camps that are specifically directed at girls out there, so that's nice.

I happened to realize that the female population in my excels classes are dropping, but for now I would like to point out my good friend (she's queer!), who attends math 2 grade levels above the average kid in my grade.

On 3/1/2024 at 9:24 PM, smac n cheese said:

I need to introduce you to pretty much all my irl friends.