Famous people who are aromantic

9 hours ago, clbaft said:

Michaela Coel (Chewing Gum, I May Destroy You) verbally identified as Aro

She doesn’t ID as aro anymore according to this piece she wrote about Moses Sumney. She is great tho. 

1 hour ago, Scoop said:

She doesn’t ID as aro anymore according to this piece she wrote about Moses Sumney. She is great tho. 

Oh, that's too bad. It was nice having open representation, especially from someone my age. 

I wonder if Moses actually is? ?

I found this in a more recent article in May 2020:

He told The New York Times that he had “never been in love, in romantic love” and never connected with love songs. He had wanted to write music that “questions the idea that romantic love is the be all and end all of human existence” and wrote lines like “Am I still vital/ If my heart is idle?”. Many critics loved the way he left so much open and unanswered.

But today he admits that, despite that supposed openness, he became uncomfortable with the way “I boxed myself into a corner with Aromanticism. I got categorised as somebody who hates love, which is not something I ever said. And it wasn’t something fully that journalists ever said, although the idea was exaggerated in interviews.”

While he doesn’t want to discuss his romantic status, he is happy to expound on the public ideas about it. He is often billed as a “queer” musician, although I can’t find any interviews in which he has defined himself that way. “I have never identified, publicly or privately, as queer,” he says. “But I don’t correct people when they say that. I try not to correct people too much these days, because the desire to do so stems from ego. And I realised at some point that proclamations of identification are largely for other people, not for the self. So people can call me whatever they want to call me, if it helps them feel actualised or like they are relating to something they see in themselves. But it’s worth noting that no one has ever been considerate enough to ask me.”

No IDing as aro in this piece when it would make sense to. I don't want to speculate on a person's sexuality and there's conflicting info here so I wouldn't confidently say he's aromantic. 

Here's the article. It's an interesting read, Sumney is really fucking good with words. Be warned tho you need to turn ad block off to access it and when you do you get a million ads lmao 

On 4/5/2021 at 12:03 PM, Acecream said:

On 4/5/2021 at 3:20 PM, Scoop said:

I found this in a more recent article in May 2020:

No IDing as aro in this piece when it would make sense to. I don't want to speculate on a person's sexuality and there's conflicting info here so I wouldn't confidently say he's aromantic. 

Here's the article. It's an interesting read, Sumney is really fucking good with words. Be warned tho you need to turn ad block off to access it and when you do you get a million ads lmao 

Thanks for the links. As you said I don't want to speculate, but it's really maddening that the reaction is always the same. This idea that aromantic people 'hate' love (?!) or are somehow incapable of it... It's ridiculous. I am not surprised that people don't even want to mention questioning openly, let alone ID as such.

It sounds like a really beautiful album though - definitely going to give it a listen.

• Like 2

LOL I was switching from aven to arocalypse and I just thought that I would be still on aven. So I was seeing this thread an just clicking on it bc I thought “o maybe you can repost some answers in the arocalypse forum!”

yeah well I’m going to bed.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 11:08 AM, Acecream said:

@mossy

alice oseman (the author who wrote “loveless” about an aroace character (I still haven’t read it by my own :/)) is aromantic asexual herself

That's cool. I really liked Loveless. I have read though that some people felt the supporting characters weren't well written and I can see their point about that.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...