Correlation between intellectual capabilities and aromanticism

Hi there. I wonder if there's a connection between being aromantic and intellectualism. I've defined being an intellectual as someone who likes learning about literature, learning more about science, mathematics, philosophy, etc. not just for a job but also in their free time. I do feel like the stereotypes lend itself towards aromanticism and a lack of interest in romance due to their cerebral nature, but this could just be a stereotype.

I'm not sure how to say this more gently because I don't want to hurt anyone, but this sounds like dangerously biased thinking. It others aros who aren't or don't consider themselves intellectuals and implies allos can't be intellectuals. It's along the same lines of that ultra annoying acephobic line of thought that aces must be so ambitious and productive because they're not weighed down by sexual desire. What aros have in common is that we're aro.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hemogoblin said:

I'm not sure how to say this more gently because I don't want to hurt anyone, but this sounds like dangerously biased thinking. It others aros who aren't or don't consider themselves intellectuals and implies allos can't be intellectuals. It's along the same lines of that ultra annoying acephobic line of thought that aces must be so ambitious and productive because they're not weighed down by sexual desire. What aros have in common is that we're aro.

Big agree with this.

Also, like… One could make the same argument that, say, people who are really into sports might be inclined to be aspec because they’re more interested in sports than romance and/or sex. But you never see that possibility pondered, do you?

• Like 3

I don't think so. It just that the media like the dichotomy "emotion vs intellect" and so selle the idea that those who are into "intellectual" stuff are less incline to romantic relaltionships because they are all about the mind. If you have a character that is good at science, it is likely that they'll have trouble expressing their emotions, but if the character is an artist, it will be the opposite. But in real life, it is a lot more nuance than that. You'll find people that fit the stereotypes of course, but also a tone who don't.

Personnaly I am a person who doesn't like the intellectual stuff. University were hard for me partially because you have to study a lot of essays and I just don't like that, I easily get bored.

• Like 3

i think it's important to keep in mind when thinking about this that correlation does not equal causation. frankly, i don't really think it matters if there's a correlation because that wouldn't really tell us anything. there is a HUGE stereotype that aromantics are intelectuals, but it doesn't mean much. even if there was a scientific correlation between these two things as well, it again doesn't mean much. it's the same way with everything else. there are plenty of stereotypes about all sorts of groups of people, but that's just it, stereotypes. engaging in things like this is usually damaging because it just renforces the idea while overlooking the wider, more important issues of a group that is varried and diverse. i think it would be a better use of everyone's time to invest in other issues rather than engaging in stereotypes and correlation that doesn't really tell us much about aromantics. no hate, just saying.

• Like 3

On 10/14/2023 at 1:19 PM, nonmerci said:

I don't think so. It just that the media like the dichotomy "emotion vs intellect" and so selle the idea that those who are into "intellectual" stuff are less incline to romantic relaltionships because they are all about the mind. If you have a character that is good at science, it is likely that they'll have trouble expressing their emotions, but if the character is an artist, it will be the opposite. But in real life, it is a lot more nuance than that. You'll find people that fit the stereotypes of course, but also a tone who don't.

I think that's a good explanation of it.