My experience today with Acephobia

So, at lunch today I was sitting with someone who was relatively kind to me, I decided to tell him that I was asexual and aromantic. and first thing he did was he moved all the way to the other side of the table like I was a disease. His reason was that He's Catholic and that I'm "unholy." Despite the fact that in the whole entirety of the Bible there is not one reference of asexuallity or being aromantic being a sin. So I'm pretty sure it's just straight up Acephobia.

• Like 1

Funny thing is that the Paul had actually been in support of not marrying because it allowed him to worship god more. I just find the phobia of people that DON’T experience romantic/sexual attraction to just be annoying. I mean how can you be angry at someone for NOT experiencing something? 

The exact reason why I don't talk to other religious people 

(I'm religious too don't attack me please)

Edited by Cal

1 hour ago, TheApothiAroace said:

Isn’t Paul a celibate not aroace then?

Yeah, he isn’t but it’s a step in the right direction in a way. They can at least acknowledge that not having sex isn’t a sin. I just find it annoying that taking that a single step further with not feeling sexual attraction is suddenly not ok at all.

I’m only saying that not having sex shouldn’t be an issue, so then who cares if you’re aromantic? I know they’re different but marriage seems to be lower on the docket than having kids in lots of religions. I just don’t get how religions find that to be an issue.

Edited by HelloThere

That sounds like a very annoying experience.  I once had a guy in church attack me over my asexuality, saying I was lying traumatized or being manipulated by my mother.  He went on to die of COVID.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Edited by alto

12 minutes ago, alto said:

That sounds like a very annoying experience.  I once had a guy in church attack me over my asexuality, saying I was lying traumatized or being manipulated by my mother.  He went on to die of COVID.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Oof, I mean no one deserves to die, and I’m sorry to hear that but, wow he must’ve been a jerk during that time.

He was a massive jerk.  It was sad, though, because when I started going to that church...he was literally my first friend.

9 hours ago, SwiftySpeedy said:

His reason was that He's Catholic and that I'm "unholy."

I don't understand the whole idea of the "don't have sex without marriage, and never feel sexual attraction cause sex is just here for procreation" but if you don't wanna have sex then it's unholy ??? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Atypique said:

I don't understand the whole idea of the "don't have sex without marriage, and never feel sexual attraction cause sex is just here for procreation" but if you don't wanna have sex then it's unholy ??? 

Yeah I’m pretty sure the idea is that you are supposed to ‘resist temptation’ and by doing so, demonstrate what a good and devout person you are. But if you don’t feel attraction, you can’t be tempted. I’m sure that is seen as ‘cheating the system’ or something along those lines…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nix said:

Yeah I’m pretty sure the idea is that you are supposed to ‘resist temptation’ and by doing so, demonstrate what a good and devout person you are. But if you don’t feel attraction, you can’t be tempted. I’m sure that is seen as ‘cheating the system’ or something along those lines…

Possibly, they think that there’s a required purpose but unless one chooses to be celibate for the church then that’s apparently fine. But “cheating the system” makes people angry?

I'm converting Catholic (not officially yet) and that is dumb. But I think a lot of Christians just automatically hate anything related to the LGBTQ+ specifically because it's LGBTQ+.

1 hour ago, Collie said:

I'm converting Catholic (not officially yet) and that is dumb. But I think a lot of Christians just automatically hate anything related to the LGBTQ+ specifically because it's LGBTQ+.

If they understood it all there’d be far less hate.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2023 at 4:28 PM, HelloThere said:

Yeah, he isn’t but it’s a step in the right direction in a way. They can at least acknowledge that not having sex isn’t a sin. I just find it annoying that taking that a single step further with not feeling sexual attraction is suddenly not ok at all.

I’m only saying that not having sex shouldn’t be an issue, so then who cares if you’re aromantic? I know they’re different but marriage seems to be lower on the docket than having kids in lots of religions. I just don’t get how religions find that to be an issue.

Well said

13 minutes ago, TheApothiAroace said:

Well said

It just frustrates me the lack of tolerance that society has for others and their own, very personal, business. It doesn’t matter how a family is structured (societally) or if one has a family at all, as long as everyone’s in a happy, stable relationship why does it matter? In some ways I can see diversity as a strength, learning to tolerate others for who they are and what their backgrounds are is one of the biggest steps towards lasting peace. So the continued negligence for those that feel differently just drives me up the wall. People can believe what they will about aro/aces but that doesn’t excuse hating anyone for it, they’re still human and at the end of the day our similarities are what we should focus on.

I’m sorry that was a bit of a rant but all I really want from the world is for people to be accepted, if they have questions on how others feel, ask them. If they don’t agree with being aro/ace, that’s fine you don’t have to be friends with someone but don’t end a friendship or hate someone because of it.

On 5/11/2023 at 7:26 AM, Atypique said:

Actually I think in their mind we are supposed to feel sexual attraction, we are just supposed to not act on it. Cause if we don't feel it, we can't resist it. Not having sex is seen as a virtue cause it is supposed to be hard, but if you don't want it, then it is not hard and there is no merit to it. At least, I think this is the logic.

18 hours ago, nonmerci said:

Actually I think in their mind we are supposed to feel sexual attraction, we are just supposed to not act on it. Cause if we don't feel it, we can't resist it. Not having sex is seen as a virtue cause it is supposed to be hard, but if you don't want it, then it is not hard and there is no merit to it. At least, I think this is the logic.

Still doesn't seem logic to me but it must be to them