paste whatever you have copied right now

queer_kaleidoscope

4 hours ago, Alaska Native Manitou said:

It's funny the amount of stooff they never teach us at school. Some of the oldest stories are more eyebrow-raising than most today. I bet the vast majority don't even know where the names for "galaxy" and the "Milky Way" came from and the myth of its creation behind it. Even I only found out this decade, despite being interested in both mythologies and space. 😅

Another thing they probably still don't often teach is that Jesus was actually mentioned in the Quran also, and stated as a prophet, a man of God, or even that he was Jewish.

Edited by SkyTuneRein
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, SkyTuneRein said:

Some of the oldest stories are more eyebrow-raising than most today.

This is so true!

19 hours ago, SkyTuneRein said:

I bet the vast majority don't even know where the names for "galaxy" and the "Milky Way" came from and the myth of its creation behind it. Even I only found out this decade, despite being interested in both mythologies and space. 😅

Wow, I don't know this! 🌌 Where do their names come from?

36 minutes ago, the more the merrier said:

Where do their names come from?

"Galaxy" comes from the Greek word "galaxias", meaning "milky", so-called because galaxies visible to the naked eye typically appear as a milky smear in the night sky. Bare in mind they would've been more prominent before the days of rampant light-pollution, and pollution for that matter. An arm of our Milky Way can also be seen this way too.

As for the story of the formation of the Milky Way, I'll spoiler this with a warning of body fluids:

Spoiler

There're variants of the ancient Greek story, often involving the Goddess Hera and infant Hercules, but always involves divine breastmilk being spilt or sprayed across the heavens.

"It was said that once Heracles had been born, either Zeus or his son Hermes took the infant and brought him to Hera, who was sleeping, and placed him in her breast so that he could suckle from her breasts. Once Hera woke up and understood what was going on, she chucked the baby away, as some milk spilt all over the place."

"A version that diverges significantly from the more known ones states that the milk was not Hera's at all. According to the Roman mythographer Hyginus, when Rhea presented a swaddled rock to her husband Cronus pretending to be the infant Zeus, Cronus asked her to nurse the child one last time before he ate it. Rhea complied and pressed her breast against the rock, releasing a bit of milk."

- Wikipedia

Knowing how some people even hate the idea of boob juice, I don't think they could ever look up at the night sky the same way again if they hear that. 😸

Edited by SkyTuneRein
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...