teen corner

lovecook

40 minutes ago, Valerie415 said:

Hai there !
I'd love to hear about snakes, would you like to tell me about some of your favourites ?

my favorite species so far is the gaboon viper, bc they hold three records out of all snakes and they look stupid. first, they have the longest fangs of any snakes, measuring up to 2 inches or 5.08cm. second, they have the largest venom glands of any snakes, which explains their disproportionately wide head. third, they have one of the fastest striking speed of any snakes despite being slow moving.

another fun fact of this snake i like is that they are slow moving, slow enough you can observe how rectilinear locomotion works up close. just search up 'gaboon viper walking', and you will see videos of this snake slowly moving across the floor like a millipede or caterpillar.

i also really like the vipers from china, my country. snakes such as the chinese sharp nosed viper and mangshan viper are beautiful species, and i get the 'chinese vibe' when i see their appearance. the sharp nosed viper reminds me of the chinese dragon, while the mangshan viper reminds me of guilin mountains. fun fact about the mangshan viper: they dont have a species specific antivenom, so there is a pretty good chance that you will die after being bit. 

5 minutes ago, illumi said:

i also really like the vipers from china, my country. snakes such as the chinese sharp nosed viper and mangshan viper are beautiful species, and i get the 'chinese vibe' when i see their appearance. the sharp nosed viper reminds me of the chinese dragon, while the mangshan viper reminds me of guilin mountains. fun fact about the mangshan viper: they dont have a species specific antivenom, so there is a pretty good chance that you will die after being bit. 

That’s so cool! My favourite from where i live are probably the eastern hognose :0

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, illumi said:

my favorite species so far is the gaboon viper, bc they hold three records out of all snakes and they look stupid. first, they have the longest fangs of any snakes, measuring up to 2 inches or 5.08cm. second, they have the largest venom glands of any snakes, which explains their disproportionately wide head. third, they have one of the fastest striking speed of any snakes despite being slow moving.

another fun fact of this snake i like is that they are slow moving, slow enough you can observe how rectilinear locomotion works up close. just search up 'gaboon viper walking', and you will see videos of this snake slowly moving across the floor like a millipede or caterpillar.

That's really cool :3
My favourite is probably the garter snake because they're the ones I come across most often, they just chill in the woods, all but one snake in Canada is non-venomous so generally snakes are harmless little friends here

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, organs and bone said:

That’s so cool! My favourite from where i live are probably the eastern hognose :0

hognoses are pretty popular but they are unique for their morphs and defense mechanisms. they can go from mimicking a rattlesnake to hissing to mock striking [headbutting you with its snout] to playing dead while musking. despite being mildly venomous, the venom is only potent enough to put down small mammals. dont get bit though, its still not a wise choice.

15 minutes ago, Valerie415 said:

That's really cool :3
My favourite is probably the garter snake because they're the ones I come across most often, they just chill in the woods, all but one snake in Canada is non-venomous so generally snakes are harmless little friends here

i see. garter snakes are quite tame, but they can be a biter if you catch them off guard. there is not much to say about garters, they are fine, but i just dont have any fun facts for them.

15 minutes ago, illumi said:

i see. garter snakes are quite tame, but they can be a biter if you catch them off guard. there is not much to say about garters, they are fine, but i just dont have any fun facts for them.

Yeah that's what I love about them, I like animals that'll just chill around you and they look really cool :3

i don’t rly know a ton abt snakes but i’ve always thought they r rly cool

52 minutes ago, illumi said:

i just searched a video, it rly does move a massive caterpillar. whenever i’ve seen snakes irl they’re always rly fast and just slither around lol 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Valerie415 said:

Just be sick so you don't have to go frfr B|

lol, I would, but then I'd be stuck at home with my abusive parents and my little sister who hates my guts and is the favorite child by a whole lot :(

1 hour ago, smac n cheese said:

lol, I would, but then I'd be stuck at home with my abusive parents and my little sister who hates my guts and is the favorite child by a whole lot :(

Aw :c

It's March break so I don't have any choice but to deal with all the things you mentioned :c

We'll all make it through frfr :3

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Valerie415 said:

Yeah that's what I love about them, I like animals that'll just chill around you and they look really cool :3

yes. like ball pythons and corn snakes. they are all amazing beginner pet snakes that have a naturally docile personality. the diverse morphs of ball pythons also made them really popular amongst pet trades. there may not be a lot special about them, but they are still very fun snakes to handle.

7 hours ago, kira- said:

i just searched a video, it rly does move a massive caterpillar. whenever i’ve seen snakes irl they’re always rly fast and just slither around lol 

gaboon viper is very slow moving indeed, one of the slowest. but their striking speed is one of the quickest. u can also search up puff adder walking, they belong to the same genus called 'bitis'. however, i see that puff adders are slightly quicker than gaboon vipers. 

5 hours ago, organs and bone said:

i do also have a soft spot for bull snakes - they are actually pretty tame but they will get angy and hiss like a rattlesnake :) 

i actually held one in a pet store before, its a white sided bull snake. they can get very big, but the one i held is very curious, active and not bitey at all. a lot of snakes hiss and mimic other venomous species as a defense mechanism, they just want to intimidate you before they start striking, but even then its usually mock strikes... meaning that they dont open their mouths when they do it, they just want you to back away. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, illumi said:

yes. like ball pythons and corn snakes. they are all amazing beginner pet snakes that have a naturally docile personality. the diverse morphs of ball pythons also made them really popular amongst pet trades. there may not be a lot special about them, but they are still very fun snakes to handle.

That's cool :3
I'm not sure I'd ever get a pet snake, I just like hanging out with them whenever I come across them

5 minutes ago, Valerie415 said:

That's cool :3
I'm not sure I'd ever get a pet snake, I just like hanging out with them whenever I come across them

im willing to get a pet snake bc my soon-to-be roommate wants one. we want either a black pine snake or black kingsnake. both of them are fairly easy to take care of, we just need to properly prepare. 

Again, all this just happens while my dad decides that composite functions are 6th grade stuff?

2 hours ago, smac n cheese said:

Lol my lil brother's the favourite (u know, the 5yo that claims to have a knife collection). He can bite my mom and get away with cookies.

my friend is obsessed with snakes, which lead her to learn biology and genetics. (she my age lol, this generation educates itself via the internet)

6 minutes ago, N1GHTM4R3 said:

my friend is obsessed with snakes, which lead her to learn biology and genetics. (she my age lol, this generation educates itself via the internet)

i dont want to study bio and genetics bc it will only drive me away from my interests. i want my hobbies to stay as hobbies, rather than making them my major or career. i want to preserve to fun in it, rather than making them professional.

since i am hyperfixating on snakes, after i finish researching and ranting about them, i dont feel refreshed at all. i just feel tired and i need to be alone. thats one of the drawbacks of having hyperfixations. 

good for your friend though. 

8 minutes ago, N1GHTM4R3 said:

Again, all this just happens while my dad decides that composite functions are 6th grade stuff?

Lol my lil brother's the favourite (u know, the 5yo that claims to have a knife collection). He can bite my mom and get away with cookies.

fr, if I so much as shed a tear bc my dad's been screaming at me for 10 minutes and calling me worthless for making a small mistake, I'm "way too dramatic, my parents were just scolding me like good parents" and "I don't deserve to cry since I caused the problem", meanwhile, my sister will be having a two hour long temper tantrum bc she doesn't have an Elsa dress and my parents will be like "I'm so sorry baby this must be so hard"

WTF

1 hour ago, smac n cheese said:

fr, if I so much as shed a tear bc my dad's been screaming at me for 10 minutes and calling me worthless for making a small mistake, I'm "way too dramatic, my parents were just scolding me like good parents" and "I don't deserve to cry since I caused the problem", meanwhile, my sister will be having a two hour long temper tantrum bc she doesn't have an Elsa dress and my parents will be like "I'm so sorry baby this must be so hard"

WTF

So true. I have spent years trying to convince my mom to bring me to a restaurant. And then I bribed my brother with going to a restaurant to help me convince my mom to bring us to a restaurant. 

"Moooooommmmmmmmmmmmmm! Can we go to McDonald's?"

"Sure."

WTF NORMALLY ITS "we don't have the budget for that" HOW?!