Not aro animals

Looking through the topics on aro pride animals made me realise we seem to be taking quite a few of them.

we've got most of the birds, we've definitely taken the frogs and other amphibians. We took cats, we took aardvarks and we have a whole host of mythical creatures.

Are there any animals though where you just think, no, this creature just isn't aro.

For me the only ones I can think of are flamingos (Which seem to be associated with love for some reason I cannot divine) those small yappy dogs that strange women keep in their handbags. They just seem like the animal embodyment of someone continually telling you you'll find the right person someday.

• Like 5

Sea otters! I mean, they hold hands when they sleep…

14 minutes ago, roboticanary said:

those small yappy dogs that strange women keep in their handbags. They just seem like the animal embodyment of someone continually telling you you'll find the right person someday

Thank you for that mental image, now I picture a chihuahua demanding to speak to the manager 😅

• Like 4

Penguins for sure, still an animal of the alphabet mafia but they're too famous for pairing up for life. Adorable though.

6 hours ago, roboticanary said:

For me the only ones I can think of are flamingos (Which seem to be associated with love for some reason I cannot divine) those small yappy dogs that strange women keep in their handbags. They just seem like the animal embodyment of someone continually telling you you'll find the right person someday.

I reckon flamingos get the love thing because they're pink. That's got to be it right?

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, roboticanary said:

I really don't like the fact that doves get this reputation for being this very pure bird, just bleach a pigeon and you basically have a dove, they aren't that impressive.

It bothers me how people view a lot of animals as pure or cute when they are basically a ‘cleaner’ version of another animal. Such as butterflies vs moths and red squirrels vs rats. One makes people go ‘awww’ and the other ‘ewwww’ like why.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Badger for the Aros said:

ferrets don't feel aro to me either

I reckon ferrets should be ace because they have destroyed the sexual desire of a sizeable number of yorkshiremen. not aro though, ferrets do have a bit of romance about them.

16 hours ago, Angrboda said:

Maybe eagles or swans.

swans definitely seem romantic for some reason. I guess there is a bit of supposedly pure or beautiful animals get romantic connotations. So swans and doves are romantic but the potoo isn't, which is a massive shame.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 12:02 AM, roboticanary said:

I reckon ferrets should be ace because they have destroyed the sexual desire of a sizeable number of yorkshiremen. not aro though, ferrets do have a bit of romance about them.

swans definitely seem romantic for some reason. I guess there is a bit of supposedly pure or beautiful animals get romantic connotations. So swans and doves are romantic but the potoo isn't, which is a massive shame.

Swans pair up for life. So maybe that's part of the romance. And also the association of lakes as romantic settings. Because of this I don't think ducks are aro either.

• 1 year later...
On 4/8/2022 at 8:44 PM, roboticanary said:

that's fair

I really don't like the fact that doves get this reputation for being this very pure bird, just bleach a pigeon and you basically have a dove, they aren't that impressive.

A bit off topic, but could you elaborate a bit how the English-language distinction between "pigeon" and "dove" work? I thought at first it's the "pigeon" being the city ones, Columbia Livia, and "dove" the species that live in the wilderness, but also some of the wilderness species are also called "pigeons", and also the domestic white ones are called "doves" while being a breed of Columbia Livia and not even a wild one? 

With butterflies and moths that a comment below mentions, I can see it's diurnal vs nocturnal types, and also by anatomy, like the "butterflies" are the ones that close their wings like a book and the "moths" lower their wings in a kind of bird-like manner, right? 

(In my native language, the distinction of pigeon and dove isn't a thing and hard to translate, both are голубь. There's also the word горлица which is a subgroup/genus of wild columbine species, and back on the topic, горлица has stronger romantic connotations but голубь has them too, and the peace symbolism.

The distinction between words that are often translated as butterfly and moth works a bit different from English, бабочка being more general term but more implying a bigger and more colourful one but not necessarily, and мотылек is an optional way to call a smaller and/or humbler-coloured one.

Ah, and the smallest grey ones that tend to be pests such as the clothes-eating moth are моль, but also would technically count as subset of бабочка even if a less stereotypical one) 

Edited by Ekaterina
  • Like 1