Arocalypse as seen in real life!

owl

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/27/2017 at 3:13 PM, DeltaV said:

Late to the party... but wow, nonorientable hyperbolic manifolds... that sounds complicated. And you did this before real analysis? How is this possible? ;)

Very, very hand-wavily. :P It was mostly a matter of visualizing the manifolds and their transformations and how they acted in space more than any quantitative treatment of the specific things that were happening, though I'm told that that's kind of how this sort of math works anyway. It's probably the least classically "mathematical" math thing I've ever done, to be honest, though it was definitely interesting learning to wrap my head around the topological constructions necessary for some of the more complicated manifolds when I'd only gotten through AB Calculus at that point and had exactly 0 experience with any other sort of math that wasn't the numbers kind. 

Also, I approve of your profile picture. ;) 

15 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

Very, very hand-wavily. :P It was mostly a matter of visualizing the manifolds and their transformations and how they acted in space more than any quantitative treatment of the specific things that were happening,

Very impressive that you understood something. Thinking visually is underrated.

Where I studied, you were not allowed to do applied math only, you had to choose at least one pure math subject, which I neglected for a long time. I was more into numerical analysis, statistics, probability theory etc.

I thought, number theory sounded good for pure math. Bad idea in hindsight. O.o

NT was all connected to Galois theory and basic group theory and other abstract algebra stuff like ring and module theory. Very, very easy stuff normally, yes. :$ For the final examination in number theory, I thought “Maybe it's time to finally understand this proof for the Sylow theorems...”. But time was lacking and I just couldn't get it into my head. The weird feeling that you understand every step of the proof but still not get it. But then, when I tried it visually, it was very easy. In the standard proof with the orbit-stabilizer theorem you can take the symmetry groups of platonic solids as a visualization example.

15 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

Also, I approve of your profile picture. ;) 

The best I could do with my non-existent Blender skills. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm the weirdo in the middle here, with the binocular strap around his neck. Leading some friends on a tour of the San Diego Zoo.

Spoiler

nuoadiO.jpg

In this one, I'm pretending to be fancy for a linkedin profile. Gross. 

Spoiler

w1NbaQT.jpg

ye

Archived