Help Two Aros Create An App

My cousin is also aro, and we're planning to move in together after she graduates high school (it makes sense - our colleges are pretty close together, she's sick of living with six siblings, we can save money on living expenses, and we'll be close enough to home that I can spy on her parents because reasons).

I'm going to ask her to help me create an app to help aros find quasiplatonic partners and FWBs. We can put it on the market, pay off some of our college tuition with the profits, it'll be a lot easier for a lot of other aros to find partners, and it'll probably just be really fun to make.

The problem is that neither of us knows how to make something like that. Does anyone here know about things like coding or IT or software and would you be able to give us some tips?

You should try to pick up some coding skills, it's a great skill to have! There's free online courses on EdX.org if you're interested. There are courses on how to build apps. 100% free. EdX is great.

That is something I would definitely use, and may spend money on. From a business perspective you would need to do a study on the targeted market to see what people need/want, what demographic is your average user.  Maybe do like a multi-question survey and post it to this forum, AVEN and tumblr...

On Saturday, 11 June 2016 at 2:40 AM, Louis Hypo said:

If I can learn to code (I know some languages not all) then you can learn the one for apps. There are loads of free courses online and I would recommend Codeacademy (or Kahn academy if it's on there)

It is on Khan Academy! You can learn Processing Js and also C++ for free. :)

I've been told that it's too difficult to learn C++ at a decent level... as speed is not very important for a dating app, Java will do just fine (not to be confused with Javascript, which is a language for web pages, might be suitable in your case too because in-browser apps are very cross-platform).

You might wanna dive into software aswell, because whatever you use, it'll cost you. 

Unity f.exp. is currently freeware for non-commercial products and you'd need to learn C# or (Unity's Version of) Javascript for this one. But it also comes with a lot of tools and a cheaper indie licence AND ports for Android/iOS and other devices.

Depending on were and how you want to build your app, you'll need different coding languages. If you want to do it from scratch, you might need some mad coding skills. 

Best thing is to see what's already out there and to plan a lot of time to carefully try and see what's comfortable to you. And I mean a LOT of time. 

28 minutes ago, Kojote said:

Unity f.exp. is currently freeware for non-commercial products

The second paragraph of the original post says that the product in question is going to be commercial, though. Is this development platform cheap enough for businesses?

Depends on their budget. Point is: you don't have to pirate the software to try it out. Which can be an important issue to some people =) (and for software support).

It's just an example, though ^^ 

Archived