Wikipedia page

On 4/13/2020 at 9:49 PM, LemonCupcakes said:

and would be happy to translate anything you guys come up with into German if that’s helpful?

I would be able to help with that as well, since I'm a native German speaker. I mean, only if you want the help, of course xD

I'm sorry I haven't been online in quite some time, but I'm really glad to see that we've found a lot of new sources in the meantime, because those will help us for sure. This is a really huge project, but I feel that we can do it, especially if we basically just take everything @Magni posted and put it in a Wikipedia format.

Hi all! Thanks to all the people who responded or offered help.

Sorry, this thread was a bit dead. I was busy last weeks (for the little story, I was doing nanowrimo and I write so fast I didn't want to lose my rhythme so I continue this month, while preparing exams with university online even though I didn't know when this exam will be because of Corona... now I finish my first draft and the story is out of my mind, I know the dates of my exam which is less stressful,, so I have more time).

Anyway, I'll look at all you said, and then let's try to write this article.

22 hours ago, Morgenfluss said:

I would be able to help with that as well, since I'm a native German speaker. I mean, only if you want the help, of course xD

Yes please!! Help would be very appreciated! I’m sorry, I haven’t actually done any work on it yet since I’ve been very busy with online uni, but this is still a really cool project and I’ll definitely take some time this week to try and help edit/get a translation started.

I'd also help writing the German article. Something I think can be done now by a native French speaker is to make a dedicated "Romantic orientation" page, as this page exists in the German and English wikipedia and is currently a redirect to "sexual orientation" in the French wikipedia with romantic orientation being the last paragraph on this site

I'd like to help writing an article in Spanish. There's only  an article about romantic orientation in that language and it only contains a line on arromanticism and it never even explains what romantic attraction is.

orientacionromantica.PNG

So I reorganized the sections in the article draft document based on feedback there.  Also, I made a new link: with this link, you should be able to suggest edits which I can then approve; for actually editing things, it's a good way to collaborate and write stuff and is better than comments.  I think new outline for article flow is better and more similar to existing wikipedia pages, though we can make final decisions on organization and section names later on.

I noticed that the asexual wiki links to asexualawarenessweek.com so apparently wikipedia considers something like that a reputable source; I added a link to the arospec awareness week website and I think that section would be reasonably easy for someone to type up?

I can help outline and find sources for things but I'm not great at actually putting the things into words, so if someone else would like to start trying to do that part, that would be great.

It also occurred the me that we might be approaching this from the wrong angle; while eventually we want to have a completed comprehensive individual article, the best way to do that would probably be by adding more content to the existing entry to make it bigger to such that it becomes clear it needs its own article.  The way wikipedia articles are broken up, there's sections which are seperated with title above a line and then below that there can be subsections with bolded subheadings; currently, aromanticism is one of the underlined sections so can work towards creating content for bolded subsections below it.  I think adding the subsection "community", and talking about history/organizations for aro stuff along with stuff about the pride flag and stuff about arospec awareness week should be reasonably feasible.  Another section might be "in the media" which could reasonably be added, though might be harder to find stuff that can justify.

• Like 1

So I complete the part on aronormaitvity and I try for the part "In the media", but that's difficult due to the lack of canon. So I talk a bit about Jughead. I thought about Sheldon Copper but I didn't talk about how this is non official at all. If anyone has some official canon, I'll be glad.

Anyway, tell me if this okay for you, @Magni and others. In particular, I am not a native English speaker, there must be some grammar mistakes.

I don't have a lot of knowledge of aro history and all that, so I didn't dare write about it. If someone has better knowledge...

About symbols, we can talk about arrows and white rings too, maybe?

16 hours ago, nonmerci said:

I thought about Sheldon Copper

Sheldon Cooper might be canonically asexual but in later series he does get a girlfriend and gets married so I wouldn't consider him aromantic.  Also, he's not good representation for various reasons and is not mentioned in the asexual article either.

For in the media, I think it would make sense to open section talking about how hard to get canon word representation, if can find an article about that.  I know I found one article discussing Katniss from hunger games as aromantic which could be considered proper source.  

Another thing for "In the Media" section is irl people; we could list Yasmin Benoit, her wiki page mentions her being aromantic so should be easy to get a source for that.

I went through and accepted all of the edits on the document.  It's great seeing things being put into words and stuff!

Reminder to put sources in for things; the amatonormativity section looks like it needs sources? so if could link things there that would be great; the final formatting of citations can be a bit difficult but for now just making sure have links is good enough; I'm fairly competent at doing the proper citations stuff and can do that later as needed.  Oh also, if don't necessarily have a source currently, can also be good to just put in parentheses "(Source needed)" or something.

For culture, aro white rings and arrows would be good if can find a source, though I'm more confident that we can find stuff talking about the flag.

for more on legal stuff and discrimination, can discuss discrimination and exclusion from queer community and also discuss lack of legal protections? can look at asexual article for parallels on that.  Also like....things that explicitly cover sexual orientation would cover asexuals but not aromantics.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Magni said:

Reminder to put sources in for things; the amatonormativity section looks like it needs sources?

I'm wondering about the availability of acceptable sources for amatonormativity, I know we talk about it a lot but I'm having issues finding non-blog sources of info. 

I am wondering if we can add information about Matrimania (so remove the Amatonormativity subheading in the Difficulties section and just leave it as 'Difficulties') as references for that might bulk up the 'Difficulties' section. We mention Singlism, and it seems Matrimania is generally used in relation to that rather than Amatonormativity. 

• Like 1

@Apathetic Echidna
amatonormativity has it's own page, so there's definitely sources for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amatonormativity
the amatonormativity page also does mention aromanticism so evidently some of the sources discuss the link.  Suppose that means we need focus more about the link with amatonormativity to aro community then as much about the term itself, but yeah I don't really think lack of sources is a huge problem on that one.

3 hours ago, Magni said:

amatonormativity has it's own page, so there's definitely sources for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amatonormativity

lol. I must just fail at searches. In my defence it has been a long time since I have tried doing a literary review. However I do think there is a place for a martrimania mention on the aro wiki page 

useful new sources:

Article by Dr. Bella Depaulo, the author who has written about singlism: https://blogs.psychcentral.com/single-at-heart/2020/05/people-who-are-aromantic-are-they-targets-of-bigotry/ (mentions aromantic people being targets of bigotry)

Article about Peridot from Steven Universe being aromantic asexual: https://www.cbr.com/steven-universe-crystal-gem-confirmed-asexual-peridot/ (might have to carefully phrase this one based on the extent of it being confirmed, but this seems like reasonable source to be using for it).

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 4:26 AM, Magni said:

For in the media, I think it would make sense to open section talking about how hard to get canon word representation, if can find an article about that.  I know I found one article discussing Katniss from hunger games as aromantic which could be considered proper source.  

Another thing for "In the Media" section is irl people; we could list Yasmin Benoit, her wiki page mentions her being aromantic so should be easy to get a source for that.

I tried to add things in that regard in the media section, but I'm not very satisfied of how I organized things. Is it bad or is it just me?

• 1 month later...

Hey, sorry there hasn't been much progress on this recently.  I recently made an aro activism discord server, where I hope we will be able to make better progress on projects such as this one.  Link to the discord server is here: https://discord.gg/vmRVPRV . I also made a post on the forums here with a bit more info, found here.