What have you done to improve yourself over the years, and what was it that you wanted to improve?

Nylese

the best thing ive done to improve myself so far (im 17 lmao) is probably to accept that my brain doesnt work like everyone else's and i can't hold myself to these rigorous standards that ive set for myself. idk mental illness is a bitch :/ 

• Make goals every year
  • Learned how to make music
  • Became a manager at work (with great power comes great douchebaggery)
  • Learned meditation
  • Expanded my spirituality
  • Continuous introspection
  • Coming out as aro/ace
  • Learned to love what I have and direct my energy where it counts (in other words learned to say no to things that aren't important to me)

What's left to do? Oh... so so much

• Keep writing albums
  • Help this community grow and thrive
  • Teach others about aro/ace so they can understand how it applies to them (or doesn't)
  • Learn to be more firm with people to help them improve
  • Be completely open and honest with others
  • Write a book (maybe)

I think that about covers it for now...

I want to get better at talking about myself. I know it sounds weird but whenever someone asks me what I like or what I'm passionate about I just don't know how to answer

When I was a kid I was super shy, but I managed to overcome that and now after years of work I'm actually really confident :) Also I used to be horrible at English. Then I read a book in English, noticed I improved just by doing that, then I started reading only english books, when I had to research stuff, I did that in English as well (usually gives you more results anyway) and I also watched movies and the news in English and then three years later I was the best student in our English class (before I was definitely the worst one). I couldn't be more proud of that. :D 

And the next thing that comes is getting accepted at university, so I'm currently preparing for various entry tests ^_^

I think I've gotten better at coping with negative emotions and such. Not a huge improvement but it's definitely a good start.

1 hour ago, aihpen said:

When I was a kid I was super shy, but I managed to overcome that and now after years of work I'm actually really confident :) Also I used to be horrible at English. Then I read a book in English, noticed I improved just by doing that, then I started reading only english books, when I had to research stuff, I did that in English as well (usually gives you more results anyway) and I also watched movies and the news in English and then three years later I was the best student in our English class (before I was definitely the worst one). I couldn't be more proud of that. :D 

And the next thing that comes is getting accepted at university, so I'm currently preparing for various entry tests ^_^

Your English is great! I'm always really impressed by people who learn another language (especially English, considering how few rules it seems to have) Good luck with your tests!

8 hours ago, selina98 said:

I want to get better at talking about myself. I know it sounds weird but whenever someone asks me what I like or what I'm passionate about I just don't know how to answer

I can relate to this.  I'm pretty bad at talking about myself in general.  It's frustrating sometimes.  

7 hours ago, aihpen said:

When I was a kid I was super shy, but I managed to overcome that and now after years of work I'm actually really confident :) 

Same here.  Well, to a point.  I suffered from really bad social anxiety as a child and into my teens.  I worked on it relentlessly though, and got a lot more comfortable in social situations.  I still have social anxiety issues, but they aren't as severe.  Now I just get nervous in new situations where I'm expected to socialize and anytime I'm put on the spot for anything...which I guess is still quite often xD It's a huge improvement over when I was younger though!

10 hours ago, PerformativeSurprise said:

Same here.  Well, to a point.  I suffered from really bad social anxiety as a child and into my teens.  I worked on it relentlessly though, and got a lot more comfortable in social situations.  I still have social anxiety issues, but they aren't as severe.  Now I just get nervous in new situations where I'm expected to socialize and anytime I'm put on the spot for anything...which I guess is still quite often xD It's a huge improvement over when I was younger though!

I mainly still have problems when it comes to phone calls. Phone calls terrify me for some reason and meeting new people makes me nervous, but it's at a level now where I can deal with it completely fine :D

Oh, something I forgot to put in my last post.  Another way I try to improve myself is through continuous learning.  I always try to learn and experience new things; it's part of why I love traveling and living abroad.  

1 hour ago, aihpen said:

I mainly still have problems when it comes to phone calls. Phone calls terrify me for some reason and meeting new people makes me nervous, but it's at a level now where I can deal with it completely fine :D

Me too! I hate the phone, especially answering machines.  When I hear that beep, I panic.  

36 minutes ago, PerformativeSurprise said:

Me too! I hate the phone, especially answering machines.  When I hear that beep, I panic.  

When I hear the beep, I just hang up as fast as possible xD

Archived