romance novels without the romance

5 hours ago, Zemaddog said:

How can can a novel claim to be a romance novel, if it has no romance in it? I don't understand the logic behind that.

I just wondered the same.

On 4/9/2016 at 7:47 AM, Zemaddog said:

How can can a novel claim to be a romance novel, if it has no romance in it? I don't understand the logic behind that.

On 4/9/2016 at 1:09 PM, aihpen said:

I just wondered the same.

At the end the article defines romance novels as stories that have happy endings. They aren't necessarily romantic plots.

You could probably argue that it isn't true though. Most people would have to say something romantic has to have romance.

Personally, I'm just glad that there are fiction books about aro and ace people :P

1 hour ago, breaddd said:

At the end the article defines romance novels as stories that have happy endings. They aren't necessarily romantic plots.

You could probably argue that it isn't true though. Most people would have to say something romantic has to have romance.

Personally, I'm just glad that there are fiction books about aro and ace people :P

Oh, well I don't get why a story without romance, but a happy ending would be called romance, but I agree, I'm happy these kind of books exist ^_^

On 2016. 04. 13. at 6:35 PM, aihpen said:

Oh, well I don't get why a story without romance, but a happy ending would be called romance, but I agree, I'm happy these kind of books exist ^_^

Not sure. The only thing that somewhat makes sense is books that romanticize aromanticism

romanticize

• : to think about or describe something as being better or more attractive or interesting than it really is : to show, describe, or think about something in a romantic way

Edit: meh, nope. They are just fully grown adults who can't google the difference between the word "sex" and "romance". Here we go again. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Cassiopeia said:

Not sure. The only thing that somewhat makes sense is books that romanticize aromanticism

romanticize

• : to think about or describe something as being better or more attractive or interesting than it really is : to show, describe, or think about something in a romantic way

Edit: meh, nope. They are just fully grown adults who can't google the difference between the word "sex" and "romance". Here we go again. :facepalm:

That was not what I was talking about, but I agree with you. I don't agree with calling those stories romance. By saying I was happy those stories exist, I meant I was happy that stories with aro and ace friendly content exist. Calling them romance is just super confusing and misunderstandable.

2 minutes ago, aihpen said:

That was not what I was talking about, but I agree with you. I don't agree with calling those stories romance. By saying I was happy those stories exist, I meant I was happy that stories with aro and ace friendly content exist. Calling them romance is just super confusing and misunderstandable.

Yes, it is confusing and misunderstandable, and its an oxymoron. I tried to untangle it, but I can't.

B ut, btw, we should totally have a topic where we romanticize aromanticism. Like happy posts about how friendship is magic and how it is cool and healthy is to be aro. We need that positivity.

6 minutes ago, Cassiopeia said:

Yes, it is confusing and misunderstandable, and its an oxymoron. I tried to untangle it, but I can't.

B ut, btw, we should totally have a topic where we romanticize aromanticism. Like happy posts about how friendship is magic and how it is cool and healthy is to be aro. We need that positivity.

We have this one :)

• 4 months later...

A story about an aro person who is in a romance or being romantically pursued would qualify as a romance.

Also, I could see an argument for counting stories that are focused on the development of an intimate relationship as falling into that genre, even if the end result is more QPR or FWB rather than romantic. The main thing that distinguishes romances from stories with romantic subplots is that the relationship is the main plot. I could see a similar distinction being useful for stories that include QPRs or FWB versus stories that focus on those.    

Archived