Editing the wiki

I noticed that "Crush" and "squish" both redirect to "romantic attraction" on AVEN's Wiki. I think that each of them might deserve their own page.

Maybe Arocalypse could have a Wiki too, that would be interesting !

14 minutes ago, Rising Sun said:

I noticed that "Crush" and "squish" both redirect to "romantic attraction" on AVEN's Wiki. I think that each of them might deserve their own page.

I just thought it would be nice to consolidate effort instead of splitting it.

Separate pages for Crush and Squish sound nice, though I'm not sure where the blurb comparing the two should go otherwise

I think that they should be separate for the simple reason that squishes are compared to crushes, to romance and to attraction much more often, to the point where people regularly confuse them and think that squishes, QPRs and all the rest are based on some kind of atypical romantic attraction. Comparing them too much creates some confusion IMO.

The first thing is on the 'Aromantic' page http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?title=Aromantic there is an error at the end of the second paragraph: "aromatic get's"

In the same sentence, I don't think it should say that a QPR is 'less than' romantic because that implies that it is inferior or that everyone ranks romantic relationships above others (which isn't necessarily the case even amoungst alloromantics). I think it should just say it isn't romantic.

I know that it is created by AVEN, but since some aromantics are allosexual I think a mention of experience of sexual attraction without romantic attraction (I think it's a 'lush' but whatever it is) alongside 'crush' and 'squish'. I know seeing recognition that this was a potential experience at an aromantic was very helpful when I was thrying to figure out if I was.

Also, I think that familial love and relationships could also do with a mention. For some people their strong familial or  familial-like relationships are their life-long ones and the ones they rely on the most.

I'm going to stop there. I actually find quite a lot of it to be worded weirdly, but I think these are the ones I would consider the least padantic.

I think it would be helpful to link to the AVEN Wiki and then fix some of the errors we find there and expand on the information if needed. I don't know much about who has access to editing the Wiki but it's something we can look towards after getting our own main page going.

40 minutes ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

I think it would be helpful to link to the AVEN Wiki and then fix some of the errors we find there and expand on the information if needed. I don't know much about who has access to editing the Wiki but it's something we can look towards after getting our own main page going.

I have a Wiki account, though I've never edited anything.

I'm used to editing Wikipedia articles for a very long time, so it will be a pleasure to help (either to edit on AVEN Wiki if I have the right to, or even to edit on another Wiki, why not - Arocalypse could have its own Wiki, it's so easy to install).

I won't write and review articles myself though, as English isn't my native language and I want to be sure that all the content I can add has a perfect grammar before I add it. That issue already happened on Wikipedia, although that was a long time ago and my English wasn't very good, but I don't want it to happen again. At least, if ever I suggested any content, I'd want a native English speaker to review it to check the grammar before I add it.

1 hour ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

Anyone can register and edit the wiki. Don't be intimidated by the sign up form, I'm the one approving the accounts, and I generally accept all non-spam ones.

21 minutes ago, Rising Sun said:

I'm used to editing Wikipedia articles for a very long time, so it will be a pleasure to help (either to edit on AVEN Wiki if I have the right to, or even to edit on another Wiki, why not - Arocalypse could have its own Wiki, it's so easy to install).

Yes, a wiki can be installed in a matter of minutes. However, the problem here is the scattering of effort. If there are too many specific wikis, we may end up with many imperfect ones, instead of one perfect wiki.

Thanks Robin, I didn't know it was that easy. I guess if you submit changes to the Wiki then someone has to approve them from AVEN? Or something like that? If that's the case, you all are welcome to fix any errors you see. :) Personally, I'd rather pool our efforts into one good Wiki. We don't really need to own one.

There's one problem about this though : if an aromantic wiki is still attached to an asexual wiki, and in general if aromantic resources depend on asexual resources, then aromantic communities and resources aren't independent from asexual ones. That can be an issue if you wish non-asexual aromantic persons to read them. So many people believe that only asexuals can be aromantic, and that needs to change.

Not that I don't like AVEN's wiki, on the contrary. But if aromantic resources depend on asexual resources, that may limit available information almost only to aromantic asexuals on long term.

9 hours ago, Rising Sun said:

There's one problem about this though : if an aromantic wiki is still attached to an asexual wiki, and in general if aromantic resources depend on asexual resources, then aromantic communities and resources aren't independent from asexual ones. That can be an issue if you wish non-asexual aromantic persons to read them. So many people believe that only asexuals can be aromantic, and that needs to change.

Not that I don't like AVEN's wiki, on the contrary. But if aromantic resources depend on asexual resources, that may limit available information almost only to aromantic asexuals on long term.

There is a wiki for aromanticism http://aromantic.wikia.com/wiki/Aromantic

On 4/8/2016 at 7:19 AM, RedNeko said:

There is a wiki for aromanticism http://aromantic.wikia.com/wiki/Aromantic

It's not a particularly high-quality wiki, though. Look at that very page that you linked to. Not knowing who moderates it - or if there even is an active moderator - is a huge concern for me.

Just now, DeMorgan said:

It's not a particularly high-quality wiki, though. Look at that very page that you linked to. Not knowing who moderates it - or if there even is an active moderator - is a huge concern for me.

Sorry I should have been clear. I wasn't recommending it, I just wanted to point out it existed.

Yes please, lets edit it.:D I'm also not native english and dyslexic, so I'd rather not write anything, but I'd like to help if I can.

I would also support the separation of e the Aro and the Ace wiki, because it is confusing if you aren't both aro and ace.

I had years of confusion and questioning, and I remember visiting AVEN or this wiki because I felt something was off, just to realize I was way too sexual, going "nah, I'm still not ace" and closing the browser window.

The two key terms are so similar, there are lots of words we created for ourselves and latin. It can be quite overwhelming, especially if you don't know what you trying to find.

People do not necessarily know what romantic or platonic or sensual or sexual attraction is like, or how to distinguish them...especially if they face the "how to describe something I never felt" dilemma.

So something like this thing should be there, because it is useful. I know, its childish, but it has to be accessible. Not everybody speaks perfect english or understands latin or is neurotypical.

Maybe make it a bit less dry, and adding a diagram of the spectrums would be useful? (To show people how gender, sexual orientation and romantic orientation are separate things and spectrums).

"Note that sex usually does not apply to aromantics. Aromantics, do however, feel sexual attraction without feeling the desire to have sex. Although some desire deep sexual connections "

Um, that's asexualiy.:eyebrow:???

That quote doesn't make sense at all. Why does that even talk about sexual attraction? It's about aromantics and whether someone feels sexual attraction or not and whether someone desires a sexual relation ship or not and so on has absolutely nothing to do with being aromantic. I don't get how that quote even got there, that definitely does not belong there O.o

4 hours ago, aihpen said:

That quote doesn't make sense at all. Why does that even talk about sexual attraction? It's about aromantics and whether someone feels sexual attraction or not and whether someone desires a sexual relation ship or not and so on has absolutely nothing to do with being aromantic. I don't get how that quote even got there, that definitely does not belong there O.o

I think it was written in a haste and wasn't proof read by someone who actually understood the terminology.

It looks like the author wrote an article about asexuality, and then went ctrl+c, ctrl+v and tried to change all the asexuals to aromantics, and platonic to sexual. Dafuq.

There totally should be one sentence about how aros can have any kind of sexual orientation. But that's it.

But also:

"An aromantic person is an individual who does not experience or accept romantic love or attraction"

That is kind of misses the point. Someone knows a better expression?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2016 at 8:44 AM, Rising Sun said:

I actually like it that they're on the same page, because that way people who are questioning if they're aro can read both of them on the same page and compare them more easily, to judge which one they're experiencing.

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/4/2016 at 10:40 PM, Cassiopeia said:

"An aromantic person is an individual who does not experience or accept romantic love or attraction"

That is kind of misses the point. Someone knows a better expression?

I agree that the "or accept" should be removed. Somebody who doesn't accept romantic attraction at least to some extent is romance-repulsed rather than aromantic. I think this part of the sentence should be deleted. And maybe add something like this : "This shouldn't be confused with romance repulsion, as some people can be averse to romance despite having the capacity for experiencing romantic attraction".

As for the rest, I suggest a more descriptive paragraph : "An aromantic person is a person who doesn't have the capacity to experience romantic feelings, such as crushes, falling in love or feelings of limerence. However, they still potentially can experience sexual attraction unattached to limerence, as well as platonic feelings such as friendship and familial love, although personal experiences can vary."

Archived