the x D

cute kitty Meow! Mewo!

to me, typing x D has a certain "doh" mood. like, oops-lol. or, ouchie-cringe-giggle. either a self-facepalm or an empathy-facepalm. with a giggle.  idk how to say it. but when I type it into here, it gets turned into the xD smiley, which is like, happy-laughing, or something, or tbh. looks kind of like a teasing laughter to me, the way it's drawn.... I wish that the x plus the D didn't turn into the smiley. like idk, maybe if the code was :lol: instead. I want to be able to type x D as just text....

anyone else have similar feelings about it? or feelings in opposition? 

Would it make sense to extend this to all the emoticons? Like, instead of typing : D for :D or : P for :P, we type something else. There are a few people who simply don't like the emoticons on here and would simply prefer to use text to represent them. It'd also be nice if I was able to type ¬¬ without going into the emoticon menu. ¬ is not a character on my keyboard (I had to go into chat to type that). What do you guys think?

IDK I always thought of x D as a combo of me doing :P and smiling like :D and xD pretty much matches it lol.

It'd be nice if there was maybe a toggle switch or something for the emojis since I don't really like some of the matches as well (like :D isn't one I'm really a fan of as opposed to the text version : D ).

On 11/23/2016 at 1:33 AM, Zemaddog said:

Would it make sense to extend this to all the emoticons? Like, instead of typing : D for :D or : P for :P, we type something else. There are a few people who simply don't like the emoticons on here and would simply prefer to use text to represent them. It'd also be nice if I was able to type ¬¬ without going into the emoticon menu. ¬ is not a character on my keyboard (I had to go into chat to type that). What do you guys think?

I do like the idea. I'll bring it up with the other mods if you like: see if it's possible to make the faces turn off for individual users.

On 23.11.2016 at 2:33 AM, Zemaddog said:

Oh, I absolutely agree! I don't really like using emoticons, so it's really annyoing if the thing just changes my faces :\ 

And yeah, I don't have ¬ on my keyboard either~

That trick with shift space works until you hit the next space though, then it gets transformed. Unfortunately, there is no way to have : ) without the space and without the transformation. I would need to remove the emoticon completely, or change it to something else like :k which is not at all intuitive. Perhaps if you want a smiley, add a nose :-) or you can do X-D and you're good to go. :) 

1 hour ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

That trick with shift space works until you hit the next space though, then it gets transformed. Unfortunately, there is no way to have : ) without the space and without the transformation. I would need to remove the emoticon completely, or change it to something else like :k which is not at all intuitive. Perhaps if you want a smiley, add a nose :-) or you can do X-D and you're good to go. :) 

What if you changed the names of all the smileys which are currently typed as text emoticons? Like, :) could be :smile: for exmaple. That way : ) wouldn't automatically be turned into  :).

Archived