how do you feel about songs written by alloromantics beeing on aroplaylists?

Armored frog

i dont think there is anything wrong with it, but it rubs me the wrong way. i just cant relate to an allo person singing about being happy single, i know there their is like almost no songs by aros about aromanticism, but i think they should be more represented rather than songs by allos. 

i would love to know your opinions, but mostly i just want song recommendations 

I mean, it's either that, or like... uh... Exclusively Cavetown pretty much. Even Moses Sumney has said he doesn't like people trying to label his orientation, so if you're going strictly by people who self-identify as aromantic, there's really not a lot out there at all. And I don't like Cavetown personally lol (nothing against him, it's just not my style of music). 

• Like 1

For me it depends on the song. If I feel like it could have been written from an aro point of view, I'm fine with it even if it is not really the case. For instance, Never been in love by Will Jay is an aro anthem and no one can changey mind, even if it was written with amatonormativity in mind but not aromanticism.

On the other side if it is written with an allo point of view, it doesn't go in my aro playlist (I mean, I don't have an aro playlist, but if I have one). For instance : Love Song by Sara Bareilles. I've always seen it as someone who tells her boyfriend she won't write him a love song, and even if you can interpret the song differently to make it more aro, it is toi hard for me to forget my first interpretation. So out of my playlist even if I know some other aros would put it there.

• Like 1

I don’t care. If I relate to something I relate to something. 

There are a lot of aro playlists out there with songs included I just do not get. But I have a feeling that if I shared mine people would be equally confused.

• Like 1

Although I'd love to have a separate playlist for only aro songs written by aro creators, I'm afraid there's not enough of them to do so. That's why I'm pretty much happy with whatever I can relate to, even if it was written from a really allo point of view.

• Like 1

idc. as long as it doesnt portray aro in a neg light its cool. like another user said; im js looking 4 smth i relate to. but i do have a bias toward aro artists bc they have a more authentic view on the arospec exp; leading to better and more relatable aro rep. but again nothing much to say abt allo artists doing the same

• Like 3

I mean, although I do feel this strong disconnect with alloro people stating how they're happy being single, but can still very well experience romantic attraction, my aro playlist has plenty of songs by alloro artists. Most of them are about the singer's complicated feelings about relationships (typically the heteronormative monogamous types), or is about the singer going on about their close bond with their friends, or even their friendships falling apart, or is even about them experiencing a different type of emotional attraction that isn't romantic.

It's not the same as aro artists descrivbing their experiences, like Cavetown, Donovan Funk, others I can't remember at the top of my head, or alloro people dedicating albums for us like Moses Sumney, or people we don't know for sure are aro or alloro making songs for us like MaJiKer; but some of these songs touched a part of how I experience being aro, and so I add them.

There isn't a lot of aro artists to go around, and so we make do with the broad experiences that people who are alloro also experience (though, sometimes I wonder if there is more aro-spec people, and so aro-spec music artists, than we think there is, but I digress).

• Like 1

Uh....I am an aro who writes love songs.  I feel that is weird as hell but...put me on your playlists :)  Here is my college-girl-angst song.

• Like 1

@alto Woah! I'll check it out!!

Also, write romance songs if you want! If I had any instrumental prowess to go along with my voice, I'd probably write songs about romance and such. Like, there would be songs about being aro and gender, but tbh there would probably be lot's of songs like "oh I saw a butterfly today :)" lmao

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature
typo
  • Like 1