What type of media would you say gave you Childhood Distress?

I've seen YouTubers go over the types of media that had given them distress as a kid, and I thought it be interesting to see what anyone here has to say about that. This can be from shows or movies that scared you as a kid, whether or not they were meant to be scary, books, plays, pictures, music, etc. I'll go over some that spooked me when I was a tiny gremlin!

1) Goosebumps (show) (song): meant to be scary, some episodes that are notable that made me scared were Night of The Living Dummy and Werewolf Skin, but the theme song to the show would send me into such a frenzied panic, and I would run around the house screaming my head off, and I would be put into more of a panic if we were casting it on Cable because then it would be on every TV in my house :)

2) R. L. Stine The Haunting Hour (show): that goddamn doll and fucking creepy as cat

3) I'm Going on a Bear Hunt by Greg and Steve (from the Kids in Action CD) (song): this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzIcu6tbEko this fucking creepy ass song was so god damn terrifying when I was in preschool, I don't like it, I hate it, and it should be placed in horror movies, it's far worse than the If You Go Out In tHe Woods Today song tenfold no matter what creepy rendition it's in

4) Big Momma (movie): please don't ask me why, but I had a fear of things bigger than me as a kid, it was bad, like, very bad, an actual phobia, that I feel phantom traces of in the present - but it's nowhere near as a bad anymore though! Unlike my dislike of bugs now >:/

5) Spongebob Squarepants (show): that goddamn butterfly

6) Mad (show): the show based off of Mad Magazine, didn't so much as scare me, but it had me feel uneasy all the time - like I was witnessing something uncanny

7) This damn national geographic show where they hunted down strange fictional creatures and beasts, and would make this scientific looking episodes about them (I don't think it was that show where there would be "found footage" of people stumbling across these creatures) and one was about the Chupacabra and it had me racked with fear, it was such a weird episode of some very mangey dog and I hated it

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature

1 hour ago, The Newest Fabled Creature said:

Goosebumps (show) (song): meant to be scary, some episodes that are notable that made me scared were Night of The Living Dummy and Werewolf Skin, but the theme song to the show would send me into such a frenzied panic, and I would run around the house screaming my head off, and I would be put into more of a panic if we were casting it on Cable because then it would be on every TV in my house :)

I couldn't even watch this show. I can't tell if all the show were scary or if it was just the episodes I watched, but I learned to change the channel everytime.

Not a trauma but I hated the ending of the Lion King, when the finale battle. It was scary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SwiftySpeedy said:

Probably this lol.

Ooh, this reminds me that the first spongebob episode I ever saw was Planet of the Jellyfish (the entire town gets kidnapped by some monster jellyfish and replaced with creepy doppelgangers). It freaked me out so much!! Spongebob wasn’t on my usual channels so I had absolutely no idea what the show even was about, but I was so freaked out that I never watched any other episodes after that.

Grizzly tales for gruesome kids was another creepy show that kind of freaked me out, but I remember really liking it for some reason. I’m not sure why I was more scared of spongebob of all things lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Just the Simpsons. I'm a little concerned if y'all are really getting lasting psychological effects from this many shows... Have you talked to a therapist about it?

For me there hasn't really been any lasting affects... though, granted the wormy episode.. probably did something for me to not like bugs, but I generally only dislike something because now I see there's nothing really scary about it, if it wasn't scary to begin with, and I wonder why it got to me so bad

4 minutes ago, The Newest Fabled Creature said:

For me there hasn't really been any lasting affects... though, granted the wormy episode.. probably did something for me to not like bugs, but I generally only dislike something because now I see there's nothing really scary about it, if it wasn't scary to begin with, and I wonder why it got to me so bad

??? I don’t think that’s trauma then, aside from the bugs I guess. I mean it’s understandable to be creeped out by certain things as a kid, but I don’t think it’s very nice to compare it to childhood trauma, since that’s a pretty serious topic. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

??? I don’t think that’s trauma then, aside from the bugs I guess. I mean it’s understandable to be creeped out by certain things as a kid, but I don’t think it’s very nice to compare it to childhood trauma, since that’s a pretty serious topic. 

How do I change the title? I guess distress would be the correct word for it then.

Wait ignore me all I had to do was edit it smh

1 hour ago, Eclipse said:

I stumbled across this adult cartoon thinking it was innocent. It's called Hapoy Tree Friends. Also lost episode creepypastas.

Glad to see kids are still experiencing Happy Tree Friends in the year of our lord 2023

• 4 weeks later...

This is probably a really basic answer, but Coraline. It's not necessarily traumatic or something, but I was terrified of it when I was younger.

Also the Telletubies (or whatever they were called). The same case as with Coraline - I was just scared of them.

a096cfbb1c4e6c18da9cf381e840db41.jpg