Funny aromantic stories?

Heyo, does anyone have any fun experiences of completely missing something because you were aromantic? I thought it might be fun to share :)

Here's mine: Not to long ago a new branch of a particular fandom sprouted, and I discovered that not too many people were writing for it. I love writing and thought that a great way to farm some clout (joking, please don't take that too seriously) and reach a greater audience would be to write something for it.

Up until this point most of the stuff I had written were more about familial bonds. Ignoring this, I sat myself down and said "Alright, we're going to write a romance." So many aromantics are talented at writing romance pieces... I am not one of them xD

For several hours I attempted to awkwardly write about romance while feeling incredibly uncomfortable the whole time. It was torture.

If you're wondering in the end I decided that it was to much trouble to write for something I didn't like all too much (to put it lightly) so I gave up. Anyways, the end.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cerimonials said:

Heyo, does anyone have any fun experiences of completely missing something because you were aromantic? I thought it might be fun to share :)

Here's mine: Not to long ago a new branch of a particular fandom sprouted, and I discovered that not too many people were writing for it. I love writing and thought that a great way to farm some clout (joking, please don't take that too seriously) and reach a greater audience would be to write something for it.

Up until this point most of the stuff I had written were more about familial bonds. Ignoring this, I sat myself down and said "Alright, we're going to write a romance." So many aromantics are talented at writing romance pieces... I am not one of them xD

For several hours I attempted to awkwardly write about romance while feeling incredibly uncomfortable the whole time. It was torture.

If you're wondering in the end I decided that it was to much trouble to write for something I didn't like all too much (to put it lightly) so I gave up. Anyways, the end.

Oh my gosh I’d I tried to write that I’d die of cringe or literally just make a qpr for those characters on accident.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cerimonials said:

I sat myself down and said "Alright, we're going to write a romance." So many aromantics are talented at writing romance pieces... I am not one of them xD

I relate to this so much. I've tried writing romance, not because I wanted a romance story but because it was contextually obligated for the character. I couldn't figure out how to do it, and I got stuck on it for ages. Eventually I went with some advice I once heard: "Skate fast over thin ice". With time and effort I learned that I can write characters in their canon relationships so long as I keep to their typical day-to-day interactions, but creating a romantic scene is too hard.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Picklethewickle said:

I relate to this so much. I've tried writing romance, not because I wanted a romance story but because it was contextually obligated for the character. I couldn't figure out how to do it, and I got stuck on it for ages. Eventually I went with some advice I once heard: "Skate fast over thin ice". With time and effort I learned that I can write characters in their canon relationships so long as I keep to their typical day-to-day interactions, but creating a romantic scene is too hard.

Oh yeah, there’s no chance I wouldn’t just steal a cliche and then just write is as fast as possible to get it over with. Not to mention that a very specific situation seems to need to happen in order for that to be romantic. Do I have any idea when? Absolutely not.

Before I knew I was aromantic, I described my MC's first crush, with what I like to call now an "attraction at first sight" scene. The whole time I was thinking "this doesn't happen in real life". Turns out : it does.

In the same story, I wanted to create a strong friendship between this guy and a girl, to prove that boys and girls can have a very strong bond without it being romantic. Turns out into something other thab friendship and when I discover what QPRs was, my first thought was "that's them". Which makes it very easy for me to understand the concept despise not being interested in one myself.

In another story  I had a love triangle, and after hesitated with which girl MC will end with, I decided : these relationships don't work so why would he end up with one of them? Also one of the girl is now polyamorous.

Finally recently, I had to work people in couple and that was soooo hard. It was easier to write the part before they get together as movies give a lot of example. But usually movies stopped when they get in couple so I have less examples for that, and it is so hard to describe a couple's dynamics. They just looked like friends until the time I think "oh yeah they should do couple things". I look forward to their break-up, I can tell you.

• Like 1

I don't write as much as I did when I was younger 🙁 (any tips on that??)

I mean, I can always try to kick my ass into gear, but I usually just never feel like it's the "right day" to start writing, or the right time; stupid shit my brain likes to do that ultimately makes me feel more awful.

So, this is not necessarily a story on my part and more of a hypothetical - since I never necessarily wrote romances before, only fantasy world-building shit, I think I would accidentally just write them as aro, because I would try getting into the groove of writing them being all romantic or feeling romantic attraction, and then my brain would short-circuit and be like, "Hmm. no. that is not correct, because according to the encyclopedia of -" and I would just automatically stop the progression of these characters getting together and write them being all ambiguous and possibly experiencing meshes instead.

But I would read others peoples' short stories or fanfics and it's all romancey and I'm like "1) how the fuck can you write dialogue??? and 2) omg why is this good, I wish I could do tat"

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature

On 6/14/2023 at 3:52 PM, The Newest Fabled Creature said:

I don't write as much as I did when I was younger 🙁 (any tips on that??)

Same here!

The longest thing I ever wrote was when I was 11 and it was a 24k word HTTYD Fanfiction (It wasn't amazing. I actually still have a copy of it in my Docs 😂). It did have romantic elements to it but it was otherwise centered more around family, duty, and close friendships. Eleven y/o me had endless time on her hands, and thought that she could do anything. Now the only spare time I have is in between exams when I'm not drowning in course work or other responsibilities, never mind having the energy or motivation.

For now I just write shorter fics (a few thousand words) whenever I find inspiration and am in the 'mood'. I really want to write something longer but at the same time most of the long stuff I plan ends up abandoned 🤷‍♀️. Anyways what I'm trying to say here is feel free to go with the flow, do what you can and if it makes you feel good, then why not?

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, cerimonials said:

Same here!

The longest thing I ever wrote was when I was 11 and it was a 24k word HTTYD Fanfiction (It wasn't amazing. I actually still have a copy of it in my Docs 😂). It did have romantic elements to it but it was otherwise centered more around family, duty, and close friendships. Eleven y/o me had endless time on her hands, and thought that she could do anything. Now the only spare time I have is in between exams when I'm not drowning in course work or other responsibilities, never mind having the energy or motivation.

For now I just write shorter fics (a few thousand words) whenever I find inspiration and am in the 'mood'. I really want to write something longer but at the same time most of the long stuff I plan ends up abandoned 🤷‍♀️. Anyways what I'm trying to say here is feel free to go with the flow, do what you can and if it makes you feel good, then why not?

Thank you!

In retrospect, I already knew that I should go with the flow, and write when I feel it's the right time for it; I already have some ideas/cool stuff I can write, but motivation has been jarringly absent; but at least the idea exists lol. But, I guess sometimes I need to hear that from others still, especially if they're in the same boat, so thanks!

Also a 24k HTTYD fic sounds kind of awesome lmao

But I understand that, since I have old docs of fantasy stuff I thought of when I was younger, and it's still rather interesting stuff, but then I think to myself of not only how I came up with the shit, but why?? lol

I would overshare but I'm not gonna do that to anyone.

3 minutes ago, The Newest Fabled Creature said:

thanks!

Also a 24k HTTYD fic sounds kind of awesome lmao

But I understand that, since I have old docs of fantasy stuff I thought of when I was younger, and it's still rather interesting stuff, but then I think to myself of not only how I came up with the shit, but why?? lol

Glad I could help out a little :)

The descriptions definitely need work and the dialogue is kind of cringe but there were some cute moments 😭

LMAO I GET THAT It's like woah. But also man, was I FR? it's crazy to look back at.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cerimonials said:

LMAO I GET THAT It's like woah. But also man, was I FR? it's crazy to look back at.

Yeah, especially when you feel so serious about it, like, I did and it consumed my life for a good month, I just - 💀

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, The Newest Fabled Creature said:

it consumed my life for a good month, I just - 💀

This is so me. I remember locking myself in my room for every day in May listening to Lofi while obsessively writing that monster-

I actually thought that I was gonna be famous 💀

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cerimonials said:

The longest thing I ever wrote was when I was 11 and it was a 24k word HTTYD Fanfiction (It wasn't amazing. 

I'm not really into writing but something similar was when I was 11 I actually made a 3D model of a 1-1 scale Airbus A321. with seats and everything.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cerimonials said:

This is so me. I remember locking myself in my room for every day in May listening to Lofi while obsessively writing that monster-

I actually thought that I was gonna be famous 💀

That's the exact same thing I did! Or I'd listen to music that "matched the vibes" of what I was currently writing/the part of the writing that was different

• Like 1