So, school is out and I want to start looking more androgynous for next year...

I recently came to terms with the fact that I am fully nonbinary, and I want to look gender neutral.

I'm AFAB and I have long hair I want to keep it that way but how do I make it look gender neutral??

also please give me your best passing tips whether it be fashion, makeup, binding, mannerisms, etc.

(I have transphobic parents for the record so please give me tips that won't get me in trouble!!)

Edited by Cal

Also, please don't tell me that I don't have to look androgynous to be nonbinary, I already know that.

Edited by Cal
ahh typo

32 minutes ago, alto said:

Men's clothes are always good if you are AFAB.

Do you know any clothing combo ideas that aren't too masculine?? (I don't want to get mistaken as a butch lesbian lol)

Edited by Cal

• Guest changed the title to So, school is out and I want to start looking more androgynous for next year...

A sweatshirt with either pants or shorts. It's kind of the most gender-neutral thing I can think of. I've seen plenty of people wear something along the lines of that no matter their gender. although you can still tell a gender though...

2018-Men-Set-Quality-Fleece-Sweatshirt-Pants-Male-Tracksuit-Sporting-Sweat-Suits-Mens-Gyms-Survetement.webp.6b371018fabdc9df013dabc9bed77658.webpOIP.jpg.514a6adf64686a5ba260a92a3f2d039f.jpg

Edited by SwiftySpeedy

I like to wear either loose jeans, large t-shirts, and big sweatshirts (with a binder usually)

tight jeans or a skirt with a more masc or large top and a binder

a tank top with a men’s flannel over it

Or a hoodie with another t-shirt on top

Also I always wear black converse high tops which are pretty gender neutral but also I just really like them

For hair, I cut mine short when I came out but I would recommend French/Dutch braids, tying it up under a hat so it looks short, or going with it shoulder length maybe if you are thinking of cutting it

You might try finding a subculture you like the look of and see if they have anything androgynous that you like. Punks and goths might have something. You might also look through historical hairstyles and see if anything reads more androgynous now\ with modern accessories.

Hope this is helpful and good luck!

Edited by Balfrog

Try to google non-binary outfits and see if you find a style that you like. You have looks like @SwiftySpeedymentionned that are clothes that both men and women wear. You also have looks that combine clothes from men and women. For instance something you can do is a female short with male trousers, or the opposite, and you can justify that with your parents saying you find these clothes comfortable (male clothes tend to be looser than female ones).

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQB310tMlLcJE0knxKeE6VhrmDVqk5BlbbvHg&usqp=CAU

Also you can play with make-up. Also look for haircut, you can do things with your hair.

Edited by nonmerci

Maybe this is a bit too masculine, the clothes I wear at least

But, I usually do a baggy-not-too-baggy denim (or jean) pants with a button-up/button-down shirt combo, where the shirt is tucked in, and I usually go with a belt as well.

Corduroy pants with some bombastic shirts (button-up shirt or a standard shirt) with a belt is what I also wear, too.

Of course, this is how  I  try to look androgynous, and isn't something you have to wear. For the most part, when I had long hair, I looked pretty androgynous (maybe a bit too serial killery though 😅), but now that I had my hair cut short I think I kind of look like a butch lesbian lmao. I often have to wear a standard shirt with tight jeans to look more androgynous (or flat out wear a skirt, which I'm fine with) nowadays.

Edit: It's my mission rn to try to get the 'Uncle Female' shirt (from ICarly?) because it describes my gender perfectly

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say to cut your hair short if you want. I also have plans to look more androgyne, so I'm cutting my hair short and mostly wearing unisex clothes. I don't use makeup so I don't know about that. For binding you could use sports bras? Two of them on top of each other is good, if they let you move normally and aren't too tight

If binding is what you want (I don't need it dysphoria-wise but I'd like the option myself), I'd invest in a chest binder, if  it's safe for you to get one, or sports bras as Rinpochard said if it's not safe for you to get one, and make sure to still follow the guides of how to properly bind like as if you were wearing an actual binder.

• 5 months later...
On 5/28/2023 at 6:24 AM, SwiftySpeedy said:

A sweatshirt with either pants or shorts. It's kind of the most gender-neutral thing I can think of. I've seen plenty of people wear something along the lines of that no matter their gender. although you can still tell a gender though...

2018-Men-Set-Quality-Fleece-Sweatshirt-Pants-Male-Tracksuit-Sporting-Sweat-Suits-Mens-Gyms-Survetement.webp.6b371018fabdc9df013dabc9bed77658.webp
OIP.jpg.514a6adf64686a5ba260a92a3f2d039f.jpg

If you're interested in exploring more on this topic, you might find some useful insights at a site like https://paperwriter.com/capstone-project-writing-service for capstone project writing services.

very good!!!