What is something amatonormative that you have faced?

One thing that I have experienced:

Today I told my friend that I am going to prom, and the first thing he asked me I had a date. And I am pretty sure he knows I am aro.

Edited by BasicallyEmoPotato
mispelling
  • Like 2

A coworker told me all the aphobic things you could think about when I told her I was aro. My favorite was the last one : "there are name for so many deviances these days" (I don't even think she realized it was an insult).

For the rest it is not necessary something people say but they expect you to fall in love and get married.

• Like 3

When I first got together with my ex she knew I was aro, alongside all of my friends, and we agreed to be in a QPR, but then everyone started to treat us as if we were in a romantic relationship and imposing certain behaviours on me, like being jealous, celebrating valentine's day and other things like this even if I made it perfectly clear that I don't do any of them. Then got angry when I refused. Looking back I'm pretty sure they thought my aromanticism was just a phase and that my ex "fixed" me

• Like 4

Constant questions from my family about my love life, like "do you fancy any boys at school??" or "when will you introduce your boyfriend to us??". The worst part is that I told them not to ask me these questions, but they keep doing it anyways! It's so annoying. One of the reasons why I hate family gatherings.

• Like 3

i'm my grandparents only grandchild. since intermediate school, they've been asking me about "do you have a boyfriend yet?" and "when are you getting a boyfriend?" and it's honestly infuriating. it's just awkward. every time i go to see them and say "i'm just focusing on my studies right now" or "i'm not interested in anyone at the moment", they look so disappointed. 

hate amatonormativity

• Like 3

2 hours ago, glypharia.exe said:

i'm my grandparents only grandchild. since intermediate school, they've been asking me about "do you have a boyfriend yet?" and "when are you getting a boyfriend?" and it's honestly infuriating. it's just awkward. every time i go to see them and say "i'm just focusing on my studies right now" or "i'm not interested in anyone at the moment", they look so disappointed. 

hate amatonormativity

that's what I say too

• Like 1

I was told that romantic attraction is a beautiful part of being human. Interesting thing is that I'm human and happy enough without it! Who would've thunk it. /s

• Like 2

Myself.  I asked a girl out (sort of) forgetting that you don't ask someone to be in a QPR with you until you are besties with them.  I mean, QPRs are something that should form naturally.  You don't just ask someone to be in a QPR with you.  Me with my internalized amatonormativity  forgot that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think that the only time was unintentional by my dad, I don’t even fully remember what he said but whenever I had tried to drop a hint on possibly being aro by asking “why most villains have little to no romantic attraction in movies.” He sorta responded by basically saying (this was only what I remembered take it with a grain of salt) that not having some form of love makes you more likely to be a villain. This was just very paraphrased so please this may be completely different. My point is though that most of my life I haven’t been grilled much about relationships but I can imagine that becoming an issue later on in life as I’m only 15.

• 2 weeks later...

So, a random person on YouTube told me first that everybody needs romance as our goal is to pass our genes so we survive as a species, and then that America should stop normalizing imbavalence in the brain. But my favorite was when he said that not being attracted to anyone is like not liking food : I have to admit that he has the prize for originality cause this one is a first.

17 minutes ago, nonmerci said:

So, a random person on YouTube told me first that everybody needs romance as our goal is to pass our genes so we survive as a species, and then that America should stop normalizing imbavalence in the brain. But my favorite was when he said that not being attracted to anyone is like not liking food : I have to admit that he has the prize for originality cause this one is a first.

Oh he’s gonna have a hell of a time when he learns about my eating disorder lol 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, SwiftySpeedy said:

I would probably say random people asking me who I'm going to the school dance with even though I'm not going and that I'm not going with anyone.

Oh yeah, I just hate parties in general. I mean it’s everything I hate. Loud sounds, balloons that pop, very little light, blinding light, dancing, singing, the social pressure to go do said dancing, drama, just in general I fricking HATE those things. The only things that make it worth it to me are food.