have you ever become obsessed with labeling your aro experience?

I just want to know if I am not alone in this. I have become obsessed with labeling my aromantic identity to the point where it takes up a lot of mind. It's not as bad as it was, but I am still struggling with this. 

To someone who has never done this, it may seem irrational to be obsessed with something like this. But my therapist pointed out to me that I might be obsessed or concerned with putting a label on every experience, when I should just let the experiences be. 

If you are wondering why I am struggling with this, it might be because of OCD. I don't generally like talking about it online for everyone to see, but I was just seeing if someone else who has OCD has become obsessed with labels in the past or just someone who doesn't have OCD and has become obsessed with labeling their experiences too.

Not happened to me, but I am at the complete end dof the spectrum so aromantic describes anything I need.

However I've seen a lot of people who look for a more precised label. I don't know if they are obsessed as you said, but I can't count the time I've seen "is there a label for this". In fact, the huge number of labels in this community show how important it is for a lot of people to catch a label that expresses exactly how their aromanticism looks like. So I say you are not alone in that.

• Like 3

I have become obsessed with finding myself a gender label in the past, and I'd feel sick every day because of it and end up analysing every emotion I had, which made my dysphoria worse because I actually had to pay attention to it.

Now this might be different but I consider myself to be on the spectrum of aromantic and always delve into seeking reassurance for my label. I have had times where i have maybe even become obsessed with it -- however I think now (says me after reassurance seeking literally only 5 hrs ago) I have decided that I'm going to keep this label because I identify with the feeling of alienation from my alloromantic peers, the generally not feeling like a regular human being anywhere and also the constant questioning whether my emotions are romantic or platonic in nature... among lots of other things and also the infrequency of my attraction.

I have definitely become obsessed with labels, and I'm pretty sure it's because of my OCD.

Edited by milk
  • Thanks 1

Hell yeah. Not so much anymore, but last year I was constantly trying out new labels and looking for more accurate labels; at one point I think I was using four or five labels! Something that helped me a lot was realizing that I didn't need to find the right label to describe me, because the only point of a label is for you, to help make you feel part of a community or like you have something that you identify with. If you like the aro community and feel at home here, it's okay not to know exactly where you fall.

• Thanks 1

Yeah!! I just have the need to know exactly what am I. My label has to be really specific, because otherwise I won't be able to live in peace. 

On 3/19/2023 at 11:54 PM, BasicallyEmoPotato said:

I just want to know if I am not alone in this. I have become obsessed with labeling my aromantic identity to the point where it takes up a lot of mind. It's not as bad as it was, but I am still struggling with this. 

To someone who has never done this, it may seem irrational to be obsessed with something like this. But my therapist pointed out to me that I might be obsessed or concerned with putting a label on every experience, when I should just let the experiences be. 

If you are wondering why I am struggling with this, it might be because of OCD. I don't generally like talking about it online for everyone to see, but I was just seeing if someone else who has OCD has become obsessed with labels in the past or just someone who doesn't have OCD and has become obsessed with labeling their experiences too.

Yes. You are not alone. I'm really obsessed with labeling my experiences, and it also takes up my mind as well. Though, I'm not really sure I have OCD.

Edited by The Lost One

Guest mariaxx

Hi!! In the past, and to this day, I have definitely been obsessed with placing a label or looking up online how I feel. I am now accepting of the fact that I see myself on the asexual spectrum, while aromanticism is still something I am trying to figure out. I know it is so hard to not label and constantly be thinking about your romantic/sexual identity when it makes up who you are, but don't let it define you! I think labels are great to explain how you feel, but something I have learned is that it is a spectrum and we all have our different experiences!

Yes I do personally get really obsessed with labels, and I have to force myself to stop researching so much. I get obsessed really easily and I have to pry myself away from driving myself crazy. I don't have OCD though