Insect dropped on my laptop :(

DannyFenton123

Okay so I've just had a very frightening 30 minutes. It all started when this massive cockroach-like insect dropped on my laptop without any warning. I am completely terrified of bugs so it resulted in me jumping the fuck out of there and spending about fifteen minutes in the corner of the room freaking out. I then ran out of the room to go get a cup.

I was too scared to even lift the lid of my laptop, so I tried using a chair, but the bug came out of hiding and crawled onto my foot. I managed to get it off and catch it, and now I've slid a piece of paper under it, taped the cup to the paper, stacked a big book on top of it and put two weights on either side. I don't want to be anywhere near this house right now; I feel like they're everywhere and one's going to drop on my head at any moment.

I'm too scared to pick it up, and now since the damn thing can fly it keeps making unsettling banging noises and I'm terrified it's going to get out. Can somebody just tell me I'm not being ridiculous for wanting to go to Australia?

Aww. I hope you're ok danny :(

I've definitely had those moments where some insect which I don't know what it is lands on me and I just freak the fuck out. You gotta be careful in Australia, cause if you don't know what it is, you have to treat it like it's able to kill you.

Just now, Zemaddog said:

Aww. I hope you're ok danny :(

I've definitely had those moments where some insect which I don't know what it is lands on me and I just freak the fuck out. You gotta be careful in Australia, cause if you don't know what it is, you have to treat it like it's able to kill you.

Yeah, I had a bad scare but think I've mostly calmed down. I've stopped shaking at least xD I keep going to check on it though and every time it makes a noise I jump, but I'm just terrified it's going to get out.

Arizona has a fair amount of venomous things but they usually consist of snakes and spiders and lizards, so it's probably not dangerous. Still, it was massive, it landed right in front of me and I'm terrified of bugs. Not a good combination :nopapo:

I once had a huge cicada climb up my leg at a bus stop :( At the same bus stop I had also had a huge cricket/locust drop on my head. Huge bug-monsters suck, I hope you've not got any more in the house.

And if it's not a bad time to ask, I don't suppose you have a photo of it? I'm curious :P

Bugs don't really bother me now, but there are two kinds that freak me out.  Big red millipedes (These things can be almost 4" long and they move so fast, in a skittery, awful manner) and earwigs (they're just gross and the little bastards bite!). 
But I used to be more scared of spiders than I am now.  In 5th grade, I went to summer camp.  This camp housed campers in wooden cabins that slept 9 people instead of tents.  These cabins weren't well cleaned, and they were empty all year except summer.  Because they remained empty most of the year, they were infested by spiders. 

I, of course, snagged a top bunk.  About halfway through my week at camp, I went to bed exhausted due to being outside playing hard in the summer heat all day.  It was far too hot to sleep inside my sleeping bag, so I slept on top of it, with no blankets, wearing only loose shorts and an oversized t-shirt as sleepwear.  At about 2am, I was partly awakened by an itch on my leg.  But I was so very tired that I just didn't want to awaken, so I ignored it and was starting to fall back into deep sleep again when I felt it again.  Once again, I fought waking up and managed to fall back into deep sleep.  Some time went by, but I have no idea how much.  Then something itched on my leg again.  Half asleep, I moved my other foot up to the itchy spot in order to scratch the itch with my toenails.  

It was then that I felt something go *squash* between my toes and the side of my shin. 

A spider had been crawling up my leg in my sleep.  A *big* spider.

And I had squished it as I tried to scratch the itch that it was creating as it walked up my leg.  At this point, despite it being somewhere between 2:30 and 3am. I started screeching and woke my entire cabin.

I have since gotten used to spiders.  The first house I bought was 125 years old and its stone basement was full of them.  They'd also frequently migrate up into the living areas of the house and I'd find them legging it across the floor or hanging out in corners or weaving a web across doorways.  After years of that, spiders just ceased to bother me.

That sounds terrifying, @DannyFenton123! I feel exactly the same way about bugs.  I've done the same thing--caught a bug under something and weighted it down, waiting for it to die :ph34r:.  When I was younger I would just yell "bug!!!" and wait for one of my parents to get it :D . No joke, although I prefer living alone now, I've actually wondered if I should live with someone just so they can get bugs for me. 

Haha, I've become so desensitised to roaches that there's been a few times I just didn't care anymore so I picked the roach up and threw it out the window with my bare hands (and then washed them, of course. The scariest thing roaches is the amount of germs they carry).

On 7/25/2016 at 8:26 AM, DannyFenton123 said:

I then ran out of the room to go get a cup.

Caffeine increases anxiety. Cut down on it.

TW: insect hunt.

Spoiler

My normal way of killing a fast-flying insect is to take folders in both my hands and try to squeeze it between them or with one of them against a wooden surface. My reaction speed isn't good enough to squeeze them with my bare hands. Plus, it's less annoying for me to have to throw the corpse off the folders into the trash and wash them and the surface than to have to wash my hands.

5 minutes ago, paporomantic said:

Caffeine increases anxiety. Cut down on it.

TW: insect hunt.

Hide contents

My normal way of dealing with fast-flying insects is to take folders in both my hands and try to squeeze it between them. My reaction speed isn't good enough to squeeze them with my bare hands.

Haha, I meant a cup to trap the insect in :P Also here's a picture of what I trapped it in (the cup was very opaque and my flash was on, you can't really see the insect)

http://imgur.com/a/ECFKE

OK, now you only need to slightly lift the cup with one hand so that the insect can crawl / fly out only in one direction and prepare to smash it with something flat and hard held in the other hand.

A more exquisite method is to spill a bit of sticky substance like honey and lift the cup for a moment so that the substance flows in, then hit the cup so that the insect start crawling / flying nervously. Soon enough, it will get stuck.

I remember one morning getting up and going to the toilet, to have a massive spider sitting on the toilet. I just g'day to it, and went about my business.

I haven't seen Steve since. I wonder how he's doing.

Archived