Fictional Crushes??

TheNothingFairy

Okay, so I am aroace, but I still seem to like fictional characters in some ways. It's like an obsession, and I don't know if that means anything or if it's normal for that to happen. It's like, I don't want to date them, and I feel no sexual or romantic attraction to them, but my fictional "crushes" (I use this word loosely because that's what my parents tell me the obsessions are), or the amount I "love" my fictional "crushes" is literally the most romantic I've ever felt towards anyone. Is that like, normal? Also, is it then a crush? I always get so confused whenever my parents tease me about having a crush on a fictional character, but I really don't think that it's a "real crush".

I don't know, I just had to get this off my chest, and please feel free to add or talk/rant about characters that you like.   :)   

Thank you for reading and have a great day everyone! 

• Like 4

I can't say whether or not it's a crush but it's not uncommon to have feelings for fictional characters that you wouldn't have towards real people. I experience a much wider range of attraction in fiction, including romantic attraction. Even if what you're experiencing isn't attraction per se, it could still be a type of "obsession" or "love" or "excitement" that you don't feel IRL. A lot of people have intense feelings about their fave characters 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a huge... something.. crush/squish/obsession with Loki! ^_^

• Like 1

yeah especially when i was like 16 i'd totally have platonic and sexual attraction even to book characters.  with tv characters of course their appearance is that of the actor, so it's not entirely fictional.  i guess my feelings about some characters and celebrities too were almost crush-like.  it's probably a universal teen thing.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2022 at 7:06 PM, TheNothingFairy said:

Okay, so I am aroace, but I still seem to like fictional characters in some ways. It's like an obsession, and I don't know if that means anything or if it's normal for that to happen. It's like, I don't want to date them, and I feel no sexual or romantic attraction to them, but my fictional "crushes" (I use this word loosely because that's what my parents tell me the obsessions are), or the amount I "love" my fictional "crushes" is literally the most romantic I've ever felt towards anyone. Is that like, normal? Also, is it then a crush? I always get so confused whenever my parents tease me about having a crush on a fictional character, but I really don't think that it's a "real crush".

I don't know, I just had to get this off my chest, and please feel free to add or talk/rant about characters that you like.   :)   

Thank you for reading and have a great day everyone! 

Maybe it's a mesh? (a word similar to crush, but for alterous attraction).

• Like 2

On 10/27/2022 at 10:06 AM, TheNothingFairy said:

I still seem to like fictional characters in some ways.

Could it be anegoromantic? (often spelled aegoromantic). https://www.lgbtqia.wiki/wiki/Aegoromantic

Or fictoromantic? https://www.lgbtqia.wiki/wiki/Fictoromantic

I don't experience "crushes" but I definitely "ship" characters. (My current obsession is #kacy on NCIS: Hawai'i)

• Thanks 1