Religion and Aromanticism

AromanticAardvark

Religion and Aromanticism  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Someone already made one of these, but I wanted to include more religions to get a more accurate sense of what the aros here are (there were a lot of people who chose Other on the other quiz, and a lot of people who identified with a category that had a lot of options in it).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

honestly, i havent been to any form of religious building/event in the last 5 years. im not sure what i am, i was born somewhat christian. 

Raised Protestant, currently agnostic, have been interested in converting to Judaism through the conservative branch for 4 years now.

• 2 weeks later...

I was already raised an atheist, in a country where there is religion taught in schools (although it is possible to opt out with the parents' consent). While my family is atheist, the wide-spread of Christianity everywhere else in the country still definitely influences my views and my language to a certain degree, which I really hate and I'm consiously trying to get rid of these things.

• 3 months later...

My family is secular, but my whole life I've attended a Christian school, and growing up I was kind of conflicted between atheism vs theism, but generally I was a Christian until I was 13, and decided I was an Agnostic Atheist. Christianity, though behind me now, I admit has influenced my view of the world in some ways and I'm not entirely opposed to following a religion when I'm older, I just want to form an identity outside of it first.

• 2 months later...

Muslim here! I love my religion, and love being a Muslim. 

By the way, Islamic isn’t a word, at least, not to describe people who follow Islam. That would be a Muslim. Islamic is more like an adjective?

Oh, and thank you for making this thread, @AromanticAardvark ! I can’t believe I didn’t see this post before, how did I miss it?

I’m quite surprised to see such a number of Christians here! To my knowledge, most people in the LGBTQIA+ community aren’t religious, or most of them are atheists or agnostic. So this is a pleasant surprise. 

16 hours ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

By the way, Islamic isn’t a word, at least, not to describe people who follow Islam. That would be a Muslim. Islamic is more like an adjective?

Oh, sorry! If I can figure out how to change the poll, I'll delete that from the options

• Like 2

Well, honestly, the Qur’an and the Sunnah/Hadith do not mention that humans have to have attractions to the opposite sex, and it doesn’t say that we have to be. All it says that marriage is to be between a man and a woman. 

So those people who say Muslims, or human beings cannot be gay, that they are born straight and have to be, don’t make sense. 

Islam doesn’t have a concept of sexual orientations, or romantic orientations. It never says that any attraction is wrong. It only talks about actions and behaviour. 

So, yeah, Aromanticism as a concept does not exist in Islam, but neither does the concept of human beings having to be straight, or being attracted to the opposite sex. 

Please don’t come at me with arguments for this and saying that it’s wrong or something, I know everyone here isn’t a Muslim, most aren’t. I’m not expecting any of you to have the same views. I’m simply stating what Islam says about this. 

7 hours ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

How does one make a poll, by the way? I didn’t know it was an option before seeing this post! It’s a cool idea. 

If you click "start new topic", there should be an option next to "content" that says "poll". Click that, and boom! You have the template for a poll

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

Islam doesn’t have a concept of sexual orientations, or romantic orientations. It never says that any attraction is wrong. It only talks about actions and behaviour. 

So, yeah, Aromanticism as a concept does not exist in Islam, but neither does the concept of human beings having to be straight, or being attracted to the opposite sex. 

Please don’t come at me with arguments for this and saying that it’s wrong or something, I know everyone here isn’t a Muslim, most aren’t. I’m not expecting any of you to have the same views. I’m simply stating what Islam says about this. 

A huge chunk of LGBTQIA+ is about acceptance of other people's consensual sexual behavior as something morally neutral.

So there is an obvious conflict to mainstream, contemporary Islamic teaching, which regards homosexual acts as sinful.

5 hours ago, AromanticAardvark said:

If you click "start new topic", there should be an option next to "content" that says "poll". Click that, and boom! You have the template for a poll

Ah, thank you. I recall seeing an option called that, mist have forgotten about it. 

4 hours ago, DeltaAro said:

A huge chunk of LGBTQIA+ is about acceptance of other people's consensual sexual behavior as something morally neutral.

So there is an obvious conflict to mainstream, contemporary Islamic teaching, which regards homosexual acts as sinful.

Yes, well, an excellent point. I agree. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thelemite. 

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law!

And no, I'm not one of those people who idolizes Crowley. I simply am drawn to the theology (if you can call it that) that at the core of the being of every individual is a Divine Will that manifested this existence for a purpose. And it is up to each of us to use whatever methods we find suitable to discern that purpose and act on it. In order to facilitate True Will, as it's called, most Thelemites espouse a libertine ideology (as outlined in Liber Oz) that declares that every individual "has no right but to do thy will" meaning everyone lives their lives as they see best and fit, and no one has the right to tell anyone else how they may live. And yes, I practice magick. 

Love is the Law, Love under Will!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         93

On 12/7/2022 at 6:29 PM, The Gray Warlock said:

Thelemite. 

So if you're sitting in a pub, this is a meeting of the Grand Lodge of Aro Thelemites in South Dakota?

Edited by DeltaAro
  • Like 1