What do you want people to know about being arospec?

For aromantic spectrum awareness week, I'll be showing a presentation on aromanticism to spread awareness at my school's GSA. So far I have the basics like what being aromantic means, our pride flag and its meanings, and some common arospec identities, but I feel like there's more I could add yet can't really think of anything else to add, so I thought I'd ask here (plus I think this would make an interesting discussion).

What do you want people to know about being arospec?

Edited by crow
  • Like 5

Here's some things you could mention:
- amatonormativity
- aro myths (not all aros are ace, aros are not emotionless robots)
- queerplatonic relationships? Whn I first started looking to aromantics, i found the topics were very connected
- other types of attraction (platonic, aesthetic, etc.)
- some aro pride stuff, like aro rings
- aro vs. ace

Hope this helps! Good luck on your presentation!
  • Like 7

This is so crazy because I'm actually on here for the same reason, I'm presenting for my college's pride alliance! I included the same info that you said you have already, but I also made a slide with aro representation in media (mostly fictional, but still representation!) and some of my arospec headcanons for fun :) 

I wanted to make my presentation engaging so I included some discussion questions at the end so we could have a causal talk instead of me just throwing facts at everyone for an hour haha. Here are some of my questions, and you're welcome to use them as well!

• How are some ways that our society marginalizes people on the aro spectrum?
  • In what ways can we support our aromantic pals?
  •  How can we deconstruct expectations for all people to experience romantic attraction?
  • What are some takeaways from this discussion?
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, Moistopinions said:

This is so crazy because I'm actually on here for the same reason, I'm presenting for my college's pride alliance! I included the same info that you said you have already, but I also made a slide with aro representation in media (mostly fictional, but still representation!) and some of my arospec headcanons for fun :) 

I wanted to make my presentation engaging so I included some discussion questions at the end so we could have a causal talk instead of me just throwing facts at everyone for an hour haha. Here are some of my questions, and you're welcome to use them as well!

• How are some ways that our society marginalizes people on the aro spectrum?
  • In what ways can we support our aromantic pals?
  •  How can we deconstruct expectations for all people to experience romantic attraction?
  • What are some takeaways from this discussion?

Discussion questions are a great idea, I might use that! Good luck with your presentation.

I just wanted to say that this is a cool projet. Good luck !

I just wanted to add : somethingsomething about how aro and psychopath are different things. Because I met people who mistaken them to be synonymous. 

• Like 4

Something important is busting myths and stereotypes.

Such as:
Aros can be of any sexual orientation, rather than just asexual. Maybe specifically mention that this includes (cis) heterosexual women a demographic who are often stereotyped as hyper romantic.

Aros have a varied set of attitudes towards romantic coded activities such as hugging, kissing, hand holding, dating, etc. Rather all aros being indifferent and/or repulsed by all of these. Nor do attitudes towards doing romantically coded activities necessarily correlate to "romance repulsion".

Not all aros experience "squishes". Some aros even find the concept baffling.

Similarly, there's a large variation when it comes to "platonic attraction". Including "what even is that?".

Aro opinions towards being in Queer Platonic Relationships and Platonic Life Partnerships vary hugely between highly favourable and highly repulsed.

Using the term "platonic" to mean "non romantic", rather  than "non sexual", is far from universal amongst aros. (Even those in the USA).

• Like 5

Connections between neurodivergency and being aro.

Why aromanticism isn't opposition for 'hopeless romantic' (orientation can't be opposition to a trait).

What is SAM and that there are aros who don't use it (personally I've already had situation when sb tried to force me to use 'asexual' term while I don't identify with it).

Why the narration 'they were bad but they found a partner and it turned them good' is harmful for arospec.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Mark said:

Something important is busting myths and stereotypes.

Such as:
Aros can be of any sexual orientation, rather than just asexual. Maybe specifically mention that this includes (cis) heterosexual women a demographic who are often stereotyped as hyper romantic.

Definitely, I'm planning on including a part that clears up some common misconceptions about arospec people, since I realize that is important.

I've also added a part that says aromanticism is different from asexuality and not aros are ace, since many seem to equate being aromantic with being asexual when that's not true for everyone.

9 hours ago, Rony said:

It's better to say 'aros can be of any sexual orientation and part even don't use this label' than 'not aros are aces'.

I'll take that into consideration! Also part of that was a typo on my part since I posted that at midnight, it was supposed to say not all aros are ace ?