If you only had a few moments to describe what it means that you're Aromantic, how would you put it?

Angrboda

If you only had a few moments to describe to someone what it means that you're Aromantic, how would you describe it to them?

I think, for me, I'd explain that while most people say that there are millions of 'types' of love & that the romantic kind is the most important, I tend to see love as just one thing. (There may be some slight categorization. I.E. If the person is your care giver vs if they're someone you're caring for. But the love is still fairly similar.) I may have different amounts of love for different people in my life. I may also have different types of interactions with different people in my life. So, when people ask me if I feel 'romantic love' for a certain person, I'd have to say no. Even if I'm sexually attracted to someone, even if I love them more than I love others, it's still the same general 'type' of love, because I only know one main type. And no, that doesn't mean that I'm broken or uncaring. Yes, I'm a butthole, but that has nothing to do with the fact that I'm Aro. That's just my personality.

How would you describe being Aro?

Edited by Angrboda

I just say that I don't feel romantic attraction, which means I don't fall in love. And if the person is surprised, I'll add that they are people attracted to one gender, people attracted to all, so it is logical that there is also people attracted to none.

• Like 1

In a practical sense if I was trying to explain it to someone, I would just say "I don't experience romantic attraction" because I don't feel like getting too deep into things, and I hate getting mushy in front of other people.

But here's how I'd write it in a more poetic sense:

Romance and romantic attraction feel like things that are for other people, not for me. And that's not a bad thing for me. I've never felt romantically attracted to someone else, or wanted a relationship with someone, and those facts feel good and comfortable and true  to me. To me, the fact that I feel this way is not a deviation from the norm; it is the norm.

• Like 1

"I love people like you love your brother/sister/mascots, with all my heart but I would not date them" If they try to say that its not the same or I'm missing out, I would say that if they think that having romantic or sexual feelings toward their family is healthy or not.