Ranking Importance of Representation by Type

Ranking Importance of Representation by Type  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We know good representation of Aromanticism is important because one of the main issues we face is erasure in the face of ignorance. The community is probably only small because so many people don't know that romantic attraction and lack of it is possible. So here pick which types of representation you think is the most important to you and what you think is most important for the community as a whole. 

I tried listing all the options but I have probably missed some. 

It is a multi answer poll, so pick as many as you want!

Edit: If you pick 'other' can you comment if you are thinking of something specific :) 

• Like 5

I put movies, tv shows and scientific acticles.

I feel like movies and tv shows are the place where amatonormativity tends to get pushed the hardest and they are very popular. So, having (positive!) aro representation here would challenge that head on and also give a lot of visibility to the identity in popular culture.

Science articles would be cool because I'd like to see research into people living unconventional lifestyles and making different choices re. personal relationship networks vs. the conventional 'nuclear family' approach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NullVector said:

I feel like movies and tv shows are the place where amatonormativity tends to get pushed the hardest and they are very popular. So, having (positive!) aro representation here would challenge that head on and also give a lot of visibility to the identity in popular culture.

I was a little unsure if it made sense for TV and movies to be split, rather than something like "motion pictures". Possibly grouping music, books, movies, TV, stage, etc together as "popular culture". A form not mentioned is audio drama, including as podcasts.

1 hour ago, NullVector said:

Science articles would be cool because I'd like to see research into people living unconventional lifestyles and making different choices re. personal relationship networks vs. the conventional 'nuclear family' approach. 

Very often the people doing research about "relationships" have a strong amantonormative bias. 

@Mark oh yes I had completely forgotten about audio drama, I realise now I generally left out radio -that just shows where my interests aren't. 

I split TV shows and movies because having a stand alone movie with an aro character I think is quite different from a long running Tv show, like a soap opera or something, adding in an aro character. Movies, unless they are long series like Harry Potter or the Marvel Sagas, have to interest people to that specific movie to possibly see representation but televiosion offers an option of slotting in an aro into an established show with a already set fanbase. 

My whole aim for the split of pop culture is to find out what people think is the most important pathway, and it is multiple choice, and you can always change your vote so I think it is fairly flexible.

Movies and TV shows would be nice if they had aro representation. I feel like a lot of people watch and are into those types of media so having aro characters in those types of media would boost representation.

I chose everything that is linked to fiction (movies, shows, books…) and information in certain days. I think representation is important in fiction because this is where most of people will hear about it. But I also think that give information is important because it is not the same way of speaking. LGBT Community often complain because sexual education is to straight, but we could also complain that it is too amatonormative. I would have love if someone told me it was possible to not feel romantic attraction when I was younger.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'm always open to more music that doesn't involve romance nor break ups.

It would also be great to see movies, tv shows, games, and books that can remind me that romantic love is not all there is to life.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 3:13 AM, Apathetic Echidna said:

@Mark oh yes I had completely forgotten about audio drama, I realise now I generally left out radio -that just shows where my interests aren't. 

I split TV shows and movies because having a stand alone movie with an aro character I think is quite different from a long running Tv show, like a soap opera or something, adding in an aro character. Movies, unless they are long series like Harry Potter or the Marvel Sagas, have to interest people to that specific movie to possibly see representation but televiosion offers an option of slotting in an aro into an established show with a already set fanbase. 

My whole aim for the split of pop culture is to find out what people think is the most important pathway, and it is multiple choice, and you can always change your vote so I think it is fairly flexible.

Yes I think it's difficult to get explicit aro characters in a movie. Unless the aromanticism is the main plot. I think representation there is more about having main characters without love interest. Like in the Martian where the guy does not have a wife and kid waiting for him on earth. He could be aro for all we know.

I also chose tv, books and music. Personally I don't care that much about music but since romance is such a dominating topic there I think many people, not just aros, would welcome some more variety.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Holmbo said:

it's difficult to get explicit aro characters in a movie.

I think with movies they are playing 'the short game' they want box office numbers most of the time or to be recognised as art with awards. I know that is a shallow overview of the industry but it is my internal explanation about the lack of representation, 'cause surely there are some aro film makers and writers out there but they haven't done aro topics or characters. 

Plus, I like to imagine what would happen to movie content if 50% of the awards judging panels came out as aro.