Art Thread

Carson:)

On 5/15/2022 at 9:25 PM, Nix said:

Really cool! Love the non lethal weapons,

Aromantic assassin trope... subverted! So much war & violence in the world right now. Aro activism remains ☮☮☮!

especially the foam katana

Congrats for noticing this tiny inscription.🥇

But I wonder how you could really draw a foam katana. I mean without slapping "foam katana" on it? 🤷‍♀️

And I’m really curious about the scroll the Aro Activist is carrying, what could it say…

This will become clear in the final artwork. No spoilers ... ;)

On 5/15/2022 at 9:43 PM, roboticanary said:

I would love to see the larger artwork when it is done

Thanks! Tough this is going to be my most complex artwork, it still has a very.... naive touch.

But well, Henri Rousseau (one of my favorite painters) didn't care for that. And I also do not!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DeltaV said:

Congrats for noticing this tiny inscription.🥇

But I wonder how you could really draw a foam katana. I mean without slapping "foam katana" on it?

Thanks, I like looking for details :) 

That can be difficult to convey when the sword is in a scabbard, because the you won't really be able to tell. If you draw it without the scabbard, you could either make it grey and dot it with lighter and darker grey to make it look like foam, or you could draw it to look flat with a nice brightly coloured side so it looks like a kids toy. I added some examples:1937021153_Foamsword.png.cf06f8386e93c7819e28a95ccc40c0f0.png659755176_Foamsword2.png.5642487f82611a3ac3e0e9dc216f818b.png

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 12:32 PM, Nix said:

That can be difficult to convey when the sword is in a scabbard, because the you won't really be able to tell. If you draw it without the scabbard, you could either make it grey and dot it with lighter and darker grey to make it look like foam, or you could draw it to look flat with a nice brightly coloured side so it looks like a kids toy. I added some examples:

Thanks for your examples, sensei. You're right. Mmh...

Anyway, I'm done with the first part:

cHyqQeY.jpg

Opening Festival for The 13th Minor Temple of Love, Part I

Obviously this unnamed fantasy kingdom has some serious problems with overspending for romance stuff.

So I'm searching for a slogan to be used by the aro activist in Part II* !

* don't get too excited, Part II is supposed to look very similar to Part I

• Like 1

PS: if you have any suggestions what could be improved, let me know. FYI, this was done with a Wacom Intuos Pro L and Inkscape, i. e. 100% vectorized. So most of it is easily editable

On 5/22/2022 at 7:18 PM, DeltaV said:

So I'm searching for a slogan to be used by the aro activist in Part II* !

How about: ‘Too much love will kill you!’?

23 hours ago, DeltaV said:

PS: if you have any suggestions what could be improved, let me know. FYI, this was done with a Wacom Intuos Pro L and Inkscape, i. e. 100% vectorized. So most of it is easily editable

Oh I suck at drawing vectors so I couldn’t say 😅 Maybe add some more gaudy stuff made of gold or flowers? But I like this version a lot

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 7:25 PM, Nix said:

How about: ‘Too much love will kill you!’?

That sounds like a cigarette package warning, LOL. While I personally agree, I thought of something like "Defund Romance"...

If there just wasn't already a very similar real slogan...

On 5/23/2022 at 7:25 PM, Nix said:

Maybe add some more gaudy stuff made of gold or flowers? But I like this version a lot

Yes... thanks for the suggestion. I'll add some gold garlands / flowers...

BTW, there already is a single flower in the image...

Edited by DeltaV

19 hours ago, DeltaV said:

That sounds like a cigarette package warning, LOL. While I personally agree, I thought of something like "Defund Romance"...

If there just wasn't already a very similar real slogan...

Agreed, and yeah...

Also, how could I have missed that flower? I thought the flamingo was holding a small heart shaped necklace, but that would have made no sense 😅

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 4:47 PM, Nix said:

Also, how could I have missed that flower? I thought the flamingo was holding a small heart shaped necklace, but that would have made no sense 😅

So now... with flowers and gold. And the second part.

But now what do the scrolls say?

"This year the royal treasury hath spent 500,000 ducats for a new love temple & 200,000 ducats for ten love festivals & 70,000 for a further rose garden & 50,000 for a flamingo park. All the while our roads decay & wells go dryeth & levees are crumbling."

wk7304h.jpg

4.5 x 2.6 K pixels, 1.7 MB

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DeltaV said:

So now... with flowers and gold. And the second part.

But now what do the scrolls say?

"This year the royal treasury hath spent 500,000 ducats for a new love temple & 200,000 ducats for ten love festivals & 70,000 for a further rose garden & 50,000 for a flamingo park. All the while our roads decay & wells go dryeth & levees are crumbling."

wk7304h.jpg

4.5 x 2.6 K pixels, 1.7 MB

So awesome! The perfect amount of gaudy stuff, the contrast with the second part is great :D As is the banner, booo for spending so much cash on romance silly royals!

I immediately saw your aro activist in my mind sneak away in the night with all that gaudy stuff to give to the poor aro’s, like some Robin Hood. And I couldn’t resist sketching that 😅

686FCFBC-CDDC-4D77-816D-42A8208C9EC8.jpeg.6fefecf8d80594e96abd1d47fbeb78d9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Nix said:

So awesome! The perfect amount of gaudy stuff, the contrast with the second part is great :D As is the banner, booo for spending so much cash on romance silly royals!

Thanks!!!

This drawing was very complex, the arocopter drawing was nothing compared to it! Hopefully people at least look at it in 4K, imgur is so cumbersome.

And here is the Inkscape SVG (Chrome, Firefox can render it properly, yeah. DropBox obviously cannot):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/py5pkyy2w53hc41/temple.svg?dl=0

(Banner + Moon are hidden layers)

Licensed under CC BY 4.0. I did everything myself, except the font on the Katana (Osaka-Sans Serif).

20 hours ago, Nix said:

I immediately saw your aro activist in my mind sneak away in the night with all that gaudy stuff to give to the poor aro’s, like some Robin Hood. And I couldn’t resist sketching that 😅

😄😄 great, I love it. The look on the flamingo's face is simply priceless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok so @roboticanary has reached 1000 posts, yay! And he mentioned wanting (someday) to look into an achievement system of sorts. Well why don't we help a bit by creating some achievements?

I made 4 to be used for post milestones, so maybe an award for a first time poster (a tadpole early stage), one at a 100 posts (tadpole late stage), at 500 posts (frog) and at 1000 posts (the rare Beelzebufo)!

Frogs.png.206f817e6511b8160ff0e3fe46c31274.png

These are a little useless at the moment since they are not vector based and will look horrible when resized, but I hate vectorizing bitmaps so that will have to wait ;)

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Nix said:

These are a little useless at the moment since they are not vector based and will look horrible when resized, but I hate vectorizing bitmaps so that will have to wait ;)

Very nice!!!

I can do the vectorization!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, roboticanary said:

Alright, I have read  up and worked out how to add and edit badges, so @DeltaAro and @Nix, if one of you were to get a vector version of those pictures up I will happily add that to arocalypse.

I promised it, so I'll deliver. Please wait till Saturday. This is rather dull work. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1