Romance in media

Sabaro

I’m still in the process of figuring stuff out, not cause i need to explain somebody but to make sense of my own outlook on life. So personal relationships aside, how do you guys deal with romance in tv/film/books? Do you enjoy the romantic subplot in your favourite action/scifi movie? Personally I can’t stand it, i have extreme repulsion towards it and i just straight up skip all those parts even if they’re playing a part in the whole story (which rarely is the case). The only time i find myself enjoying it is when i feel like I’m sexually attracted to both the characters, i feel bad and almost guilty for saying that for some reason. But its true. Anyone else feel like that? 

• Like 1

Yup, me most of the time. I don't like romantic subplots, they are boring and unnecessary and moreover, often badly written. I feel like I could write a more subtle and nicer romo subplot than some romantics (though it would probably would turn out like some "super best friendship" or "bromance" because that's what I'm comfortable with).
I tend to feel repulsion often with those subplots, too. I try not to but I can't help the feeling. Nah, don't feel guilty, I'm allergic to the romance part but often find myself enjoying the "sexy scenes" (like a some passionate kiss which indicates there is something sexual between them). And yeah, I do enjoy them more if I find the actors or characters to be attractive, too! I'm picky though. Sometimes they do just as little as the romance part for me, it depends, but most of the time it has this dynamic for me. You'e not alone.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sabaro said:

The only time i find myself enjoying it is when i feel like I’m sexually attracted to both the characters, i feel bad and almost guilty for saying that for some reason. But its true. Anyone else feel like that? 

One hundred percent. And that's absolutely nothing to feel guilty about! There's nothing at all wrong with thinking hey, those two characters are hot, it'd be even hotter if they boned. 

I can appreciate a romance plot when it's genuinely well-written, and is believable and important to the characters. The problem is, most romance sub-plots in media are about as deep as he was a boy, she was a girl, can I make it any more obvious? And that's just lazy. I have a hard time believing that two characters will fall in love just because they're a straight man and a straight woman in the same place at the same time. And yet a lot of media seems to take it as given that any such situation will inevitably lead to romance, and therefore that there's no need to do anything to show or convince the audience why it happens. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eatingcroutons said:

One hundred percent. And that's absolutely nothing to feel guilty about! There's nothing at all wrong with thinking hey, those two characters are hot, it'd be even hotter if they boned. 

I can appreciate a romance plot when it's genuinely well-written, and is believable and important to the characters. The problem is, most romance sub-plots in media are about as deep as he was a boy, she was a girl, can I make it any more obvious? And that's just lazy. I have a hard time believing that two characters will fall in love just because they're a straight man and a straight woman in the same place at the same time. And yet a lot of media seems to take it as given that any such situation will inevitably lead to romance, and therefore that there's no need to do anything to show or convince the audience why it happens. 

Yeah but don’t you think these badly written romantic plots happen in real life too? I’ve seen countless times, a girl and a boy spend some time together become friends and if they’re single you can definitely see them going there. I just always wonder why is it doesn’t happen with me even when i find a friend attractive i can never really feel “romantic” towards them. So i just believe that find these plots to be “badly written” cause I can’t relate to them. But yeah it kinda makes me feel superficial that i like their story cause i find them hot 

8 hours ago, NotHeartless said:

Yup, me most of the time. I don't like romantic subplots, they are boring and unnecessary and moreover, often badly written. I feel like I could write a more subtle and nicer romo subplot than some romantics (though it would probably would turn out like some "super best friendship" or "bromance" because that's what I'm comfortable with).
I tend to feel repulsion often with those subplots, too. I try not to but I can't help the feeling. Nah, don't feel guilty, I'm allergic to the romance part but often find myself enjoying the "sexy scenes" (like a some passionate kiss which indicates there is something sexual between them). And yeah, I do enjoy them more if I find the actors or characters to be attractive, too! I'm picky though. Sometimes they do just as little as the romance part for me, it depends, but most of the time it has this dynamic for me. You'e not alone.

Tbh i like it sooo much better when a girl and a boy remain friends in the end, even if they’re single but every movie/tvshow ends with all the lead characters paired with each other and that’s just ugh. I don’t feel the “chemistry” between these characters that everyone goes crazy about. If it turns me on I’ll watch it otherwise do not care in the least. But damn that sounds so shallow:///

• Like 2

I like romance if well-written or if I ship the characters romantically, though I don't go crazy about it and won't miss it if there is no romance. Otherwise I'm more indifferent (contrary to sexual scènes that can repulse me sometimes, but I am ace too). Also, it can make me laugh a lot, bad written or not. Some things that people say in romantic situations are just so funny. Right now there are a lit of Christmas movies (which are just romantic movies that take place in december most of the time), and really they are hilarious (though they are not meant to be, but when there is nothing on tv that's a fun thing to laugh at).

Anyway there is nothing wrong to enjoy romance just because characters are hot. I'm pretty sure post allos only enjoy romantic plot because they fantasize about it.

• 2 months later...

i don't have too much of a problem with it if it's actually executed well and adds something meaningful to the plot, but to me, most of the time it just feels crammed in to add an unnecessary extra layer of "drama", especially when it's in genres that really don't call for it like action, thriller, horror, etc.

i'm usually a-okay with sex scenes though if at least one of the actors is hot lol.

• Like 1

I'm generally indifferent to romantic subplots. Sometimes I simply don't notice them.

I can root for some couples when I think that there is something else beautiful in their relationship (honesty, commitment, support,...).

But overall I usually avoid movies and series that are flagged as romantic. I have a 'romantic quota': if I exceed it by watching too many romcoms  I will find every single display of affection unpleasant.

Romance generally irritates me unless it's a genuine connection, and well... in any case, I like the connection, not the romance, haha. I find most media to display shallow, stereotypical romance that I find boring. I'm not generally repulsed by romance unless it's REALLY bad, like say Twilight, or is glorifying abusive behavior. Romantic kissing grosses me out sometimes, and the stereotypical woman being protected by a "big, strong man" trope in romance to any extent has always made me squirm in displeasure! 

In real life, I find fawning and romance to be honestly quite repulsive. No desire to receive/give it!