Can cis people feel dysphoria?

aihpen

On 10/27/2016 at 4:08 PM, Miles said:

Okay, I'm a mental health major and sociology nerd, there's a chapter on gender in my psych textbook, and I'm a dysphoric nonbinary person whose first binder should arrive within about three weeks. When people are uncomfortable with expectations to be feminine or masculine, that's called gender role strain. And if they want to do something like bind, take hormones, get surgery, use different pronouns, if they're uncomfortable with people seeing them as strictly male/female, if they want to use a gender ambiguous nickname...well, they might want to look into whether they're actually cis.

You know, I never knew there was a term for it and I am very thankful for your expertise. I sometimes have cis people tell me they "never think about their gender(But being expected to (insert gender role stereotype here) annoys them too) so what makes them different than me who is nonbinary" and I didnt know there was a term to describe it so thank you. 

I have dysphoric hypomania as well as gender dysphoria so to me it was always a clearly definable feeling for me so pinpointing it didnt take a lot of effort/existential angst.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Disphoria is discomfort related to something with which one consciously or unconsciously identifies in the self. Hair, libido, gender, warts, foreskins, hymens, skin color, blemishes, moles, roles, responsibilities, fetishes, affections, religion, political orientation, one's place in the bell curve ...

Disphoria brings us to change the self. It can be healthy. It can be dangerous. Unawares it can hurt other people. How one chooses to respond to disphoria is the important thing.

If the exploration of life's possibilities leads to high risk  and abusive behaviors, beware! Disphoria may have causes that are not yet available to consciousness and reason.  

Getting help from kind and interested people is cool. They can help one to be more self-aware, self-accepting, and fruitful.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I've had some gender identity adventures, but right now I'm a cis lady. I sometimes experience body dysphoria. I have PCOS! My medical condition causes my hormones to be different than what is considered "appropriate" for a woman.  I have grown more body hair and in more places than a lot of my cis peers.  My voice deepened a little, and the weight on my body actually shifted some too. My muscle to fat ratio changed; I usually call it my second puberty ?

To me, it's not surprising that I have had conversations with trans women where we're able to bond because we've struggled to hide naturally occurring bits of ourselves to blend in with women who are considered more socially acceptable.  I am, however, aware that my rejection would not be as severe as a trans woman's if we both forgot to shave for example. :C

Hmm... I think that's part of why I don't refer to my dysphoria as gender dysphoria although it is linked to my gender. The origins of the term 'gender dysphoria' also make it feel like the wrong term for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2016 at 4:55 PM, aihpen said:

I am a cis woman and I experience body dysphoria. It has nothing to do with gender so I wouldn't call it "gender dysphoria". It is basically when my internal sense of physical self does not match what I see reflected back to me in the mirror, resulting in feelings of disappoinment, embarrassment, and depression.

• 2 months later...

I think they can. As you said, it's possible for a trans person to not be dysphoric, so it must be possible the other way around, unless I'm also missing something and that logic is flawed somehow.

I have a friend who was so severely dysphoric about her breasts that she thought she was trans and was going to have them removed as part of transitioning. Her parents insisted she see a therapist first. She eventually realised she wasn't trans and managed to work through her dysphoria around her breasts. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2016 at 9:01 PM, Zema said:

By definition, cis people cannot experience gender dysphoria. That being said, not all dysphoria is gender related. Dysphoria is just a term used to describe a general dissatisfaction with life. That would mean that depression is a form of dysphoria.

I think cis people could also experience body dysphoria, as long as it's not related to feeling like the wrong gender. There are probably some people who are unhappy with their body weight and this is independent of gender. I am unsure as to whether this body dysphoria can be inherent, or whether it is always due to societal pressures and expectations.

But, my main point is that not all dysphoria is gender related, and certain mental illnesses can be classified as dysphoria, regardless of whether the person is cis or trans.

Dysphoria being the opposite of euphoria......ah, I see! Don't mind me, just had an epiphany. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Yeah I mean I think anyone can though trans people more so in general depending on how comfortable things are at the time. I mean it is kinda more defining here and in the diagnosis sense.

I think anyone questions whether they are who they are whether that be gender or something else. Whether their body matches who inside or they have the right to be in a certain space or be a certain way. And also things like internalised misogyny/misandry and gender roles can play a role in questioning. Or there are cisWomen who feel their body isn't feminine enough or vice versa so go the opposite way. 

Cis as a just label that means not trans. Cis by default or such.

I don't identify as any gender as such as I don't see any point.

I am still my birth sex/gender tho I don't see it as something to reject but it doesn't define me as much as it is how people see me. 

Edited by mewix

• 5 months later...
On 10/1/2016 at 2:55 PM, aihpen said:

All the time I read about how not all trans people feel dysphoria, but I never see anything about the other way around. Are all people who feel dysphoria trans? Are there cis people who feel dysphoria? I've been wondering about this for a while now and I'm actually surprised that it somehow never gets mentioned. Maybe the answer to this is very obvious, but as almost anything that has to do with gender, I am completely clueless.

Anyone has answers for me? It would be highly appreciated ^_^

I'm basically Cis and I have physical gender related dysphoria about my body, so yes. My existence proves all the people who said no wrong.

On 7/4/2020 at 5:09 PM, rabbitastic said:

I've had some gender identity adventures, but right now I'm a cis lady. I sometimes experience body dysphoria. I have PCOS! My medical condition causes my hormones to be different than what is considered "appropriate" for a woman.  I have grown more body hair and in more places than a lot of my cis peers.  My voice deepened a little, and the weight on my body actually shifted some too. My muscle to fat ratio changed; I usually call it my second puberty ?

To me, it's not surprising that I have had conversations with trans women where we're able to bond because we've struggled to hide naturally occurring bits of ourselves to blend in with women who are considered more socially acceptable.  I am, however, aware that my rejection would not be as severe as a trans woman's if we both forgot to shave for example. :C

Hmm... I think that's part of why I don't refer to my dysphoria as gender dysphoria although it is linked to my gender. The origins of the term 'gender dysphoria' also make it feel like the wrong term for me.

This is a fascinating perspective to me, because I'm a transmasculine person with something similar going on.  I found out a few months ago through a blood test that my body produces significantly more testosterone than the female average- not exactly an intersex condition, but not quite "normal", either.  I'd suspected that something was going on in that regard for a while-  I have more body hair and a noticeably deeper voice than most cisgender women.  The thing is, none of this causes me any dysphoria, since I'm happy to have a more masculine body.

• 8 months later...

I'm cis, but I use she-they pronouns because sometimes I want to feel less fem and more androgynous. Whenever I feel this way, I feel dysphoria because I feel too feminine, and I hate wearing "girly" clothes like skirts and tight fitting clothes when I feel like this, even though I do normally enjoy wearing those clothes. Also, I feel dysphoria when my character in animal crossing doesn't look like me which sounds weird but like, when the character's hair and eyes are different than mine rl, it makes me feel distressed...