How many of us are musicians?

techno

How many of us are musicians?  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, anzu2snow said:

I've been playing the clarinet since I was 10. Was in concert band, pep band, marching band, and pit orchestra in high school. Marching band in college until I almost (never found out if I did) broke my tailbone. Walked differently ever since, but I really miss it. 

Now I just play for myself. For me, it's calming and boosts my self esteem. I would like to start a klezmer band some day. I also played fiddle about a year before I started playing the clarinet. Before that, the recorder.

Yes, another one, join the clarinet army! xD:arocapapo:

• Like 2

On 2/25/2017 at 2:24 AM, anzu2snow said:

I've been playing the clarinet since I was 10. Was in concert band, pep band, marching band, and pit orchestra in high school. Marching band in college until I almost (never found out if I did) broke my tailbone. Walked differently ever since, but I really miss it. 

Now I just play for myself. For me, it's calming and boosts my self esteem. I would like to start a klezmer band some day. I also played fiddle about a year before I started playing the clarinet. Before that, the recorder.

Yay! More clarinets! :aropride:

• Like 2

^ Back in my high school days, I was dubbed the "clarinet traitor" for quite some time for switching to percussion. I still love listening to the clarinet, but just don't like the sensation of playing it. :P (Heck, I find myself playing percussion for clarinet ensembles quite a bit. I even played percussion for a clarinet choir album last year.)

I play the violin ^^. I'm also going to spend next year studying music in a local conservatory... though after that I'll probably start studying something else at uni :D (not good enough to actually make a living as a musician lol)

On 2/26/2017 at 8:25 PM, Mezzo Forte said:

^ Back in my high school days, I was dubbed the "clarinet traitor" for quite some time for switching to percussion. I still love listening to the clarinet, but just don't like the sensation of playing it. :P (Heck, I find myself playing percussion for clarinet ensembles quite a bit. I even played percussion for a clarinet choir album last year.)

We often made this joke about one of my friends in high school, who started off on clarinet but played pretty much every instrument and would play whatever was necessary for any ensemble she was in (and also wound up being drum major senior year). Of course, the irony is that my college pep band is freaking tiny, and the clarinet section is the biggest section (with a grand total of 3 people on a good day) and therefore is the most able to spare a person to play something else, so guess who wound up being that person now... *hides snare sticks* :P 

However, I am of the firm belief that "once a clarinet, always a clarinet", no matter what instrument you wind up playing more frequently. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

However, I am of the firm belief that "once a clarinet, always a clarinet", no matter what instrument you wind up playing more frequently. 

Funny to hear that so many years after I stopped playing clarinet. xD In some circles, I'm "that marimba guy," in some, I'm "that berimbau guy," and in others, I'm "that guy who uses way too big of multi-percussion setups," but I haven't been "that clarinet guy" since before people even recognized that I'm a guy. :P I guess it is kinda funny that the first album that I've ever been involved in has "clarinet" in the title though.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I learned how to play quite a lot of percussion instruments, I’ve actually got quite a few awards and stuff for it. And it’s something that I enjoy doing and my favourite percussion instruments is Snare drum, Tambourine and African drums. I sing too, and am trying to learn piano too, I’m okay!

On 2/25/2017 at 12:17 PM, Dodecahedron314 said:

Yes, another one, join the clarinet army! xD:arocapapo:

I've also been playing the clarinet for about eight years now.

But why are there so few flutes here? In every there always seem to be twice as many flutes as clarinets (at least in Germany).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I barely self-teach myself to play guitar (this instrument is bigger than me and making me re-consider getting a smaller size or just settle for a ukulele).

I'm still interested in learning to play instruments that specifically have strings (not sure why but yeah) and piano since I have pretty small hands. The only main problem is that I play a few music notes for fun instead of making efficient practice.