For the Aro's and Ace's who have come out of the closet what was your experience?

32 minutes ago, HelloThere said:

Sorry, it’s just more common in america to see Christian priests, we really need more religious diversity here. 

We have many great female UU ministers :) 

3 minutes ago, alto said:

We have many great female UU ministers :) 

I’d love to visit other countries again just to see the differences, to remember how much I loved it, to just enjoy the area. I miss Germany and the nice calm atmosphere of it all. I love that you could just go an hour in any direction and likely be in a different country. I love that I can meet others of differing backgrounds and experiences, it’s refreshing to sometimes meet others in different situations.

16 minutes ago, HelloThere said:

I’d love to visit other countries again just to see the differences, to remember how much I loved it, to just enjoy the area. I miss Germany and the nice calm atmosphere of it all. I love that you could just go an hour in any direction and likely be in a different country. I love that I can meet others of differing backgrounds and experiences, it’s refreshing to sometimes meet others in different situations.

Unitarian Universalism is an American religion that started as a denomination of Christianity... Although I think there might be some in other countries, but it started here, in Boston. America really isn't as religiously homogenous as you think- You just need to get outside your community more. :) Which is totally understandable! But you shouldn't assume that any time someone talks about a religion other than yours, they're talking about another country. We are your neighbors, you just need to step outside and look around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Unitarian Universalism is an American religion that started as a denomination of Christianity... Although I think there might be some in other countries, but it started here, in Boston. America really isn't as religiously homogenous as you think- You just need to get outside your community more. :) Which is totally understandable! But you shouldn't assume that any time someone talks about a religion other than yours, they're talking about another country. We are your neighbors, you just need to step outside and look around.

Yeah, I’ve just been raised in a rather closed up area, my church has a habit of not doing many activities with other churches or types of churches so I’ve mostly been ignorant to say the least. I think the first time I’ve been in any church or chapel that wasn’t from my church (this is in total not just Christianity) was about 4-5 weeks ago for a funeral service. 😓

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HelloThere said:

Yeah, I’ve just been raised in a rather closed up area, my church has a habit of not doing many activities with other churches or types of churches so I’ve mostly been ignorant to say the least. I think the first time I’ve been in any church or chapel that wasn’t from my church (this is in total not just Christianity) was about 4-5 weeks ago for a funeral service. 😓

Makes sense- You’re Mormon, right? Unfortunately the LDS church has a reputation for not really socializing with folks of other religions, from what I’ve heard. :( But it’s great that you want to learn more!

In my hometown and the surrounding area I know of many churches of various denominations and languages, a Hindu temple, a few synagogues (Jewish places of worship) and mosques (Muslim places of worship), I think there might be a Buddhist temple around somewhere? And a few different pagan groups that meet in various places. I actually grew up in a UU church, and we did a lot of events with other local religious groups. They also had a program when I was a kid where when the kids were about 12 or 13, they’d spend a few weeks visiting other places of worship; They’d take part in the services and then stay afterwards for a talk with that group’s religious leaders, to answer questions and give the rundown on what their religion is about and what they did during the service. When I participated we went to a Catholic church, a mosque, a Hindu temple, and a synagogue. It was a lot of fun! I think more religions should have little exchange programs like that. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Makes sense- You’re Mormon, right? Unfortunately the LDS church has a reputation for not really socializing with folks of other religions, from what I’ve heard. :( But it’s great that you want to learn more!

In my hometown and the surrounding area I know of many churches of various denominations and languages, a Hindu temple, a few synagogues (Jewish places of worship) and mosques (Muslim places of worship), I think there might be a Buddhist temple around somewhere? And a few different pagan groups that meet in various places. I actually grew up in a UU church, and we did a lot of events with other local religious groups. They also had a program when I was a kid where when the kids were about 12 or 13, they’d spend a few weeks visiting other places of worship; They’d take part in the services and then stay afterwards for a talk with that group’s religious leaders, to answer questions and give the rundown on what their religion is about and what they did during the service. When I participated we went to a Catholic church, a mosque, a Hindu temple, and a synagogue. It was a lot of fun! I think more religions should have little exchange programs like that. 

Oh my gosh that would be so beneficial to the world, just the diversity of the world being manifested at such a young age would be incredibly useful for teaching acceptance and understanding. I see learning about others as a better way to learn to coexist, as a way to mix cultures and watch the beautiful process of people joining together. That would be an idea that could truly help fulfill one of americas motto’s E pluribus unum (out of many, one). I want to see the world learn to grow not isolated but close together with an understanding and acceptance of one another. It’s a thought that I consider to be as beautiful as world peace, because it may be one of the many things that creates it.

29 minutes ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

I mean so far I’ve done a pretty bad job at trying to teach myself, I honestly just never got to doing it. I find it interesting to know but I have a hard time actively seeking out things like that. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The first person I told was my ex-partner when we were breaking up (as the reason we were breaking up). He is HIGHLY allo. I would ask him to stop giving me gifts etc and instead of respecting my romantic boundaries he would just call me ungrateful and keep doing it. I only got into the relationship to begin with because I thought I’m supposed to want to be in relationships, not because I actually did want to. Neither of us knew I was aro when we started dating and we hit breaking point after breaking point. Then one day I was in bed reflecting on the way all my supposedly romantic relationships fell apart. I thought to myself, “I’m kind of…a-romantic. Is that a thing?” Then I googled it and to my relief, found that it is indeed a thing. Shortly after I ended it with him. I told my roommate  in passing and one other friend who I then found out is also aro. I go to a couple queer meetups and I came out to both groups. Some people didn’t even know what aro is, but now they do! My family would never be able to understand so I don’t bother with them. I’m more comfortable coming out to other queer folks overall and have had good experiences with that so far. 

On 6/1/2023 at 7:09 PM, maruchan said:

yo solo lo dije, me preguntaron que era ser AroAce y luego de una superficial explicasion me dijeron "a cool" luego siguieron como si nada fue un buen día

Yes that’s basically what happens with me most times.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever made actual talking about it.

My family doesn't really care about my orientation or me dating or not, so I told them but I don't even know if they listened that day. 

For people in general my best strategy was to put my flag a bit everywhere (aroace ring, bracelets, badges...) and then wait for someone to ask me what that is. With time I've become less an less willing to explain what I was so I tend to just say it's aromantic and "make your own search". Some people don't realize with flags so I just tell them if we're talking about dating at some point. Though it's been pretty easy for me since most of my friends are queer too, and not everyone is labeled and we don't really care 

Today I have come out of the closet with my mother, but other than her, I've only told a couple of friends. 

So here's how it went: 

I was at the bookshop and I saw the book loveless from Alice Oseman, and I bought It. 

Muy mother asked me what was the book about, and I started talking about It, and then, she asked me if that was what happened to me and I said yes, so...

I am out of the closet with my mum.

My legs are still shaking. I was so scared. We've talked for a while about being Aroace, and she's been very supportive :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CatsAndCake said:

Today I have come out of the closet with my mother, but other than her, I've only told a couple of friends. 

So here's how it went: 

I was at the bookshop and I saw the book loveless from Alice Oseman, and I bought It. 

Muy mother asked me what was the book about, and I started talking about It, and then, she asked me if that was what happened to me and I said yes, so...

I am out of the closet with my mum.

My legs are still shaking. I was so scared. We've talked for a while about being Aroace, and she's been very supportive :) 

Oh my gosh that’s awesome! 

• Like 1

I've come out to a trusted queer friend of mine.

When I first came out to them as aro they were quite ill (I didn't know they were in such a bad state because this was over message), so nothing came from it at that time.

Some time later I talked to them about being aro and they were accepting, but it was clear they don't really understand what it's like, they said that themself, which is cool because its not like I understand being alloro. They really want to get in a romantic relationship themself, so we're kinda opposites, but we've had nice conversations about the relations we do want, and it helped a bit that we're both allosexual so we could talk about that, and they've had no issues thinking it conflicts with being aro or whatever.

Uni's starting this year for me and I think I'll be more "out" there, though I'm more excited about that when it comes to my gender, because I'm only out to this specific friend with that as well.

• Like 1