What are your experiences with Ace or Aro phobia.

7 minutes ago, SwiftySpeedy said:

My personal one is being treated like a disease and called "unholy" by a catholic person even though I'm incapable of lust which is a sin.

Yeah, it’s ironic isn’t it? Celibacy is considered admirable because it’s a sacrifice but being aroace is considered a sin even though having kids and marrying is NOT a law, at most there’s a couple of scriptures right next to other scriptures that say that people should eat crickets for food.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keith said:

The most common one is being called "inhuman". I've met a lot of people claiming that it's not real as well.

Oh my gosh, I’ve been spared from that so far but I could imagine that in my future at some point. XD

• Like 1

Oh, the list goes on.. I've been called a plant, a robot, asked if I'm incapable of love, told it's not real and other things like "It's a phase", or "you haven't met the right person yet." (classic). Once when I told someone I was AroAce they asked if I was diagnosed, and thought it was a medical condition. I've also had fellow LGBTQ+ friends tell me I'm not "gay enough" and that being AroAce "didn't count." Also, I have been told once that by not having children and getting married, I'm "wasting my potential." (I've unfortunately seen this a lot among other women too.) Some of these things might not be severe enough to be classified as a phobia, but these are just my experiences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anaim said:

I've seen a lot of the ones already mentioned ones, but from an outside perspective as I am closeted...

Thankfully it's just a couple of people as my school is mostly LGBTQIA+ friendly

Yeah, most of my friends are LGBTQIA+ so they’re chill with me being aroace. Though we mostly just talk about our favorite shows/movies and villain characters. You know the usual nerdy friends that I just enjoy being around.

Thing is that they’re kinda the only people I’ve come out to. Most don’t know it but my personality always shines through whenever some really crude comment shows up in class. I mean yeah I’m still kinda closeted but I don’t exactly wear any aroace stuff. So yeah I guess I kinda am? 

Edited by HelloThere

21 minutes ago, CatsAndCake said:

Oh, apart from what you've already commented above, they tell me that this should not exist because biologically humans are made to reproduce to get the species yo survive.

Yeah, people are weird.

Lack of a form of attraction doesn’t make one inhuman, it just makes them not feel a form of attraction. XD

Recently someone told me everyone needs romance cause this is how we passed our genes. It made no sense cause :

-last time I checked, the natural reproduction needed sex, not romance

-I planned to give my eggs so joke on you, my genes must still pass

The same person also rant aboutbhow America is normalizing hormonal conditions... which made me laugh as a not American person, but not sonmuch for the rest...

4 hours ago, nonmerci said:

Recently someone told me everyone needs romance cause this is how we passed our genes. It made no sense cause :

-last time I checked, the natural reproduction needed sex, not romance

-I planned to give my eggs so joke on you, my genes must still pass

The same person also rant aboutbhow America is normalizing hormonal conditions... which made me laugh as a not American person, but not sonmuch for the rest...

I plan to be the last of my bloodline. Well I have brothers so if they turn out to be the romantic/sexual ones of the family, good for them I guess. XD

There was this one time I was just randomly called gay by some kid in the bathroom because I commented how disgusting the boys bathroom is (in the bathroom) and I told him like 40 times "I'M NOT GAY" and he just said "I can tell when someone's gay". I mean he could tell I wasn't straight but that just made me laugh because he sorta failed successfully there. XD

This wasn't meant as derogatory but it just made me laugh that he could at least tell that I wasn't straight. XD

Edited by HelloThere

I haven't experienced much arophobia personally, though that's probably because I made sure to come out to people who I knew would be %100 chill about it (my brother and some friends of mine), but that's not to say that other aros don't do that too, and even when you scope someone out whose usually very chill with queer people, being aro could be that one thing they're not okay with. But people can still surprise you. Like, hell, I came out to someone recently who admitted they did not know what being aromantic or even asexual was at all, and they were cool with it. Albeit, still very confused though, lol.

But I have seen some aro people I know be called "inhuman," "weird," and even "immoral' for being aro.

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature