"Reserved" words

This came up when I was chatting to @Simowl on the Discord server: that there are some words and phrases ("I love you" being the obvious one) that tend to be "reserved" for romance. I came up with "cute" as an example (a word I tend to use as a synonym for "beautiful") - the context here being that both me and Sim think each other cute as hell. Anyone have any others?

Just had the moment today I though "I should just run away but I don't wanna run away alone" and then I thought how "let's run away together sound like the most cliche rom scene ever" xD

Any sort of compliment about looks, honestly (especially between guys, girls tend to be more laidback about it but not always)

7 minutes ago, Natkat said:

Just had the moment today I though "I should just run away but I don't wanna run away alone" and then I thought how "let's run away together sound like the most cliche rom scene ever" xD

It does :P That said, all my aro people, shall we all run away to form our island?

15 minutes ago, Simowl said:

Any sort of compliment about looks, honestly (especially between guys, girls tend to be more laidback about it but not always)

It does :P That said, all my aro people, shall we all run away to form our island?

Yeah comments about looks are especially seen as romantic even though the words themselves aren't. I don't think I've ever been complimented on my looks other than online.

And yeah! Let's all get an island! Will there be pillows and blankets for the cuddly people? 

26 minutes ago, Natkat said:

One of my friends (hetro-ace) and I are always using "romantic" terms like that: "you're cute", "let's run away together", etc. And we use "shall we go to bed together?" quite a bit too, both being ace :P

I am on a island right now. Feel free to join its so boring up here. There are pillow and blankets and very bad television programs so anyone with Netflix would be the next leader.

8 minutes ago, Natkat said:

I am on a island right now. Feel free to join its so boring up here. There are pillow and blankets and very bad television programs so anyone with Netflix would be the next leader.

Comes with Netflix and PAJAMAS FOR EVERYONE!

I also call one friend "dearest" (and she calls me it too). But "deary" sounds like I'm The Dark One :P

1 hour ago, ArodynamicallyFavored said:

I actually do this a lot!!!!!!

i try to avoid the "L" word or say it as quickly as possible so no one knows i said it. I rather say I wub you and move on

"I wub you"...

wubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwub:P

I see "I love you" as so much tied with romance that I never say it to my mum either.

Certain terms of affection are absolutely reserved for romantic couples.  

Calling someone 'my dear', or 'dearest' is absolutely seen as a couple thing.

Silly terms of endearment are also seen as reserved for romantic couples - like people calling their SO goofy things like 'snugglebunny' or 'cuddlebug'.. to me, those sound like great words for your best friend ever, especially if your best friend and you hug a lot, but if you call anyone but your romantic partner something like that, people look at you like you're insane.  

My friends and I say "I love you" to each other all the time, but all but one of my close friends are single (some of them might even be aro... I'm still holding out hope that I'm not the only aro out of my friends!), so maybe it just isn't weird for us.

I do feel like I avoid certain language with other people, though... like if I were to tell one of my male friends that I loved them, or if I were to call someone by an affectionate term, it would TOTALLY be taken the wrong way (and I'm in this weird limbo between "I don't want people to know I'm aro" and "I don't want people to think I'm not aro" so it'd be really weird).

I say 'I love you' to family members and it doesn't seem wierd at all, but I don't think I could say it to my friends. I do stumble into saying other 'reserved' phrases from time to time though, since I seem to think too literally to realise how what I'm saying is going to be interpreted by everyone else. I've had to dig my way out of a few metaphorical holes due to that :P

• 1 year later...

I think 'date' is very romantic coded, you have to use another word to remove the romantic connotations. I also avoid the word love outside of my family because it is either overused to mean nothing or people will take it the wrong way

Archived