Aro Sims?

A thing just happened, I heard about this on the discord.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/news/sexual-orientation-in-the-sims-4

'. If you’re trying to tell the story of an Asexual Sim, you could leave all options unchecked. On the flipside, you could tell the story of an Aromantic Sim by selecting WooHoo interests, but leaving all romantic attraction boxes unchecked.'

what do people here think?

It has been a very long time since I played a sims game but I'm happy with this.

Openly using the term aromantic was to be honest better than I expected, although maybe thats my own low standards, and it does seem to actually allow that. Also cool that it does actually have the ability to have sex outside of romance.

Also has some allowance for questioning which is nice.

not sure which is more of a miracle, adding aro sim options or not charging people 20 quid for that.

also heard about this through twitter joking since  also, after all this time, sims are now allowed to be straight.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I wish they called it sexual *and* romantic orientation since that's what it seems to be but that's just a nitpick from me since I don't like when people treat them as the same thing.

Otherwise, I think it's pretty cool. I'd love to play an aro sim but I'm a Sims 3 person, so hopefully someone makes a mod like this if there's not already one out there. I'm not counting on it though, seems like a lot of people just play Sims 4 now. Anyways, it's awesome to be recognized and included in such a popular game series. Looks like it should allow for romo aro sims too, maybe with the "my sim is exploring romantically" option, which I appreciate.

• Like 2

I think it cool ! I was using a mod for that (one that differentiate between sexual and romantic orientation and even recognize the grey area), but come on that should be included in the game without it ! And I'm,so glad they finally did, and acknowledge aromanticism, in particular as separate from asexuality. I am so happy!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nonmerci said:

I think it cool ! I was using a mod for that (one that differentiate between sexual and romantic orientation and even recognize the grey area), but come on that should be included in the game without it ! And I'm,so glad they finally did, and acknowledge aromanticism, in particular as separate from asexuality. I am so happy!

How do the mods work? Do people download them from each other and install them separately?

It's interesting to see the journey the Sims has gone on. In the first Sims there wasn't even sex. You had a baby by making sure your Sims were in love and then there would be a dialogue box to check Should we have a baby? Yes No. I don't remember if you could be same sex couples but I don't think so.

I wonder if the parental rating changed from 1 to 2 since that's when you could do woho.

I would have liked to play Sims 4, I used to play a lot of 3. But I don't think 4 works well. The sims take a thousand years to do anything.

Edited by Holmbo

On 7/17/2022 at 6:49 PM, roboticanary said:

Openly using the term aromantic was to be honest better than I expected, although maybe thats my own low standards, and it does seem to actually allow that. Also cool that it does actually have the ability to have sex outside of romance.

Sims really is not my type of game. Also isn't Sims 4 like eight years old now?

Anyway, I'm happy that aros are de-facto playable and a major publisher literally acknowledges aros in their release notes (it seems the term does not occur in the game itself, but still).  That must be a first. 🎆🎇

On 7/17/2022 at 6:49 PM, roboticanary said:

not sure which is more of a miracle, adding aro sim options or not charging people 20 quid for that.

Yeah, Paradox would've certainly done that.

6 hours ago, Holmbo said:

How do the mods work? Do people download them from each other and install them separately?

There are a lot of people who makes mods and you can download on line. The one I was talking about is this one. Then in the field of your sims game you have on your computer, you have a subfield called "mods", you put all the mods you want there.

It makes the game so much better. Some mods can change the things in the game that are bad or weird (my favorite is the one to regulate the population... before that all the npcs died single and without children, and though I supportt their choices, it was weird how none of them get mmarriedand have babies... at least  they didn't randomly died as they did in sims 3... the mod also get these sims a job and evolution in their career, thibgs like that).

Some other mods add things in the game, etc.

The only thing is that if you have too much, it slows the game...

Sims 4 works well with me. With mh old computer the loading was really slowed, but now that I have a more recent computer I don't have this problem. And they can do more than one thing at a time, it was not the case in sims 3 I think ? I don't remember, it's been a while.

1 hour ago, DeltaV said:

Also isn't Sims 4 like eight years old now?

Yeah but EA clearly thought  : why creating a New game when we can still create dozens of extensions and packs ?

Sims 5 is now in production, I think, but it will take time before it is ready.

Edited by nonmerci