dark theme

this bright on bright on bright on bright - I can't deal with it. I see the two at the bottom - one is bright green and the other bright blue. something that isn't so bright would be nice... even, is it possible to have a less bright background? I'm not a huge fan of bright text on black background - but if that's the only darker theme, I'll take it. just something with less white and less bright banners. 

While I'm not the one who suggested a dark theme, here are my thoughts on it. It is definitely must nicer on the eyes than the default theme. I would prefer it if the writing was black though. I think this theme with green instead of blue would look good as well. That be said, I would hesitate to call this a "dark" theme. In all honesty, it's more like a "slightly less bright" theme. When I think of a dark theme, I think of a dark grey background with white text. For example the dark theme on the discord client. I think it would be really cool to have a theme like that.

The discord dark theme:

Ignore the colour of my username.

vtAToJR.png

I think that having a variety of options for themes is a good thing. Also, at time of writing, the dark theme does not have the little shield that normally appears in the tab next to the page name. It's probably due to it being a test theme, and is easily fixed.

EDIT: So we were discussing the prospect of having different themes for this site in chat. The idea was that we could maybe get people to suggest colour palettes for themes, and then someone who is willing could create them and see what everyone thinks. I personally would prefer it if members could create their own personal themes, but unfortunately IPS doesn't allow this (at least I'm pretty sure it doesn't). As I stated before, having a variety of themes would be good, although it is possible to have too many. Does this sound like a reasonable proposition?

18 hours ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

Is the new dark theme OK? There's a lot less white so should be easier on the eyes.

yes, it is lovely! just that subtle shade difference means a lot to me, thanks :)

edit: the suggestions Zemmadog has would also work for me as well. I am satisfied with the current dark theme, but for me individually as long as it's not a fully white background that makes the largest difference for me, so I might not be the best person to judge what makes a good dark theme heh. 

edit 2: can only two themes be done? if not, it would be super cool if you could keep this theme as one of them as well as add another darker theme, although personally I agree that a dark green or emerald or something would be better over the blue for this shade of background, heh xD 

I can add any number of themes, the hassle is only in editing them, and I am the only one who can do so. I think I can download themes and install them quickly as well, so let me check on that. There might be one that would suit your needs better.

OK, I think I've figured it out. There's a new theme called "Very Dark". Can you give that a shot? I will probably edit it to make it green instead of blue. If this looks better than "Dark", I'll just get rid of "Dark".

Also, the editor appears to be the same old bright colors no matter what theme you pick. I believe I have some control over that, but it's getting late. I may have a chance to look at that tomorrow.

48 minutes ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

OK, I think I've figured it out. There's a new theme called "Very Dark". Can you give that a shot? I will probably edit it to make it green instead of blue. If this looks better than "Dark", I'll just get rid of "Dark".

Also, the editor appears to be the same old bright colors no matter what theme you pick. I believe I have some control over that, but it's getting late. I may have a chance to look at that tomorrow.

I don't think you should get rid of the current "dark" theme. I feel that it's a good midpoint between the default (which may be simply too white for some people) and the "very dark" theme (which some people would find too dark). I feel that having a variety of themes is good because everyone has different preferences. Obviously since you (@Blue Phoenix Ace) are the only one who can edit themes, I wouldn't recommend any more than 5 themes. Of course, it's all up to you.

Personally, I think the "very dark" theme looks great, and will probably look even better with green. There is an issue with the quoting system on the very dark theme in that there is very little contrast between the text and background when creating a post. Note that this is only an issue when creating a post with quotes, not for quotes which have already been posted. Also, the text editor is still white, but this isn't really an issue, and I'm not even sure if you can do anything about that.

I just noticed that with the very dark theme on mobile, the status updates are displayed at the bottom of the front page which is a nice feature. Any chance of adding this to the regular theme? 

Apart from the quotation issue Zem has described above, I have only 2 minor objections to the 'Very Dark' theme:

1. The 'Overlord' title is barely legible on the dark background, you might want to make the title color a bit brighter.

2. The icon on the 'Like this' button is the default heart, not an arrow.

Regardless, I'm going to use it :icecream: (no matter if the staple color is blue or green).

Yeah, I'll have to fix the favicon problem when I get home. I don't have the icon on my laptop.

So, I renamed Dark to Grey. It might still have a few bugs for me to fix up. Very Dark is now Dark (Blue) and there's a new Dark (Green). The Overlord title is hard to read on Dark... I could pick a new color, but then it might not look good on the other themes. I don't know how much I care about that.

The status updates showing up on mobile are a feature of the "main theme". This new dark theme supports that, and it isn't part of the default theme.

A big issue I found with both dark themes is that text in spoilers is almost unreadable as there is very little contrast. I think the issue is that the spoiler background is still white, but the text is now a light grey, so it is difficult to see. 

I think that the status updates appearing at the bottom on mobile should be on all themes, not just the dark (blue) theme.

Other than that, the new dark (green) theme is amazing :arolove: I'm definitely going to be using it from now on.

This is lovely :) I'm using the new "dark (green)" 

I like all three, and will probably switch between dark green and grey every now and again :) especially to suit the lighting I'm in better. 

it looks like quoting with the dark (green) is still hard to read, just when creating a new post. 

This isn't really an issue with the dark theme, more of a personal preference. The notifications on both the dark themes are black when unread, and white when read. I don't feel that the white really fits with the theme. I'm not even sure if this is something that can be changed. I'll post screenshots so you can see for yourself. I feel like the read notifications should be a darker shade of grey than they are now, but not as dark as the unread notifications. It's not that much of a big deal if you can't change it, but if you can, I feel that it would fit the theme much better. I'll still be using the dark green theme regardless of whether this is changed or not.

BgwsrGU.png

VL5M018.png

Also, it's been said before, but when editing a post with a quote, the text in the quote has barely any contrast with the background. It's fine once the post has been made, but before then, it's barely legible. For some reason that text is a different colour to when it's posted, and I'm not sure why. Here's what I mean:

G9WnENZ.png

I can barely read that text.

I probably sound like a nagging child at this point tbh.

21 hours ago, Starry Sky said:

I was using the dark theme and I couldn't change my profile picture while using it. It just showed a bigger view of the photo so I had to change to the default theme to be able to edit it

Hmm, it seems to work for me.

Archived