Anyone else mistake obsession as romantic attraction?

Unikitty

For a while I was having a hard time even calling myself aromantic because I thought did feel romantic love for people I dated. But looking back at it, it was not love at all. It was just obsession and attachment issues. I know some people say obsession can be a sign of romantic attraction, but I believe my obsession was not healthy or romantic at all. Unfortunately I would be extremely clingy and basically want to be conjoined with someone I "dated". Romance as a concept is something I struggled with a lot as well. Romance used to make me incredibly angry. My exes also weren't great which didn't help either.

I would not be a good romantic partner at all and I've accepted that. Even looking at examples of romantic love I don't think I relate a lot. I have a lot of love but it's just not romantic I guess. If I were to describe my attraction it feels like a weak signal that's just not connecting. I am just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience? Sorry this kind of turned into a ramble

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 5:47 PM, Unikitty said:

For a while I was having a hard time even calling myself aromantic because I thought did feel romantic love for people I dated. But looking back at it, it was not love at all. It was just obsession and attachment issues. I know some people say obsession can be a sign of romantic attraction, but I believe my obsession was not healthy or romantic at all. Unfortunately I would be extremely clingy and basically want to be conjoined with someone I "dated". Romance as a concept is something I struggled with a lot as well.

I really relate to this, I think for me it was because I felt pressured to act a certain way around my "crush"/partner which manifested as obsession. 

i'm not sure if obsession is the right word, but i feel like i did idolize my last partner and the idea of dating them a lot before we got in a romantic relationship.