Comfort characters? Is it a thing?

So ever since i was a child when i was sad or scared i’ve always fantasied being comforted by either my favorite characters or my own OC’s. And when i hit puberty i thought it was both weird but also comforting because i thought this would go away when i reached adulthood(and i also thought it was because i was weak), but it didn’t. I’m 23 soon 24 and still when i’m sad, stressed out or in general had a bad day i fantasies about being comforted by my favorite characters or my own OC’s. Is it a sign that i actually need a partner even though i don’t want to be in a relationship? I guess not, but i’m still confused.

Do you have any comfort characters?

I don't think this has anything to do with romance. We all need people who comfort us and it can be very useful to imagine it. I often imagine being comforted to calm myself, but I don't have a specific person on mind, it's more the sensation of a warm smile and touch.

• Like 3

On 11/19/2021 at 11:56 AM, Quinn_ said:

I can relate to this- I always imagined my oc "Nightwalker" to be like my best friend

I have a oc named Gregory who I thought I would be really good friends with 

Comfort characters are definitely a thing, and are pretty common for people to mention in fandom spaces nowadays (that's actually what people call them too).

It doesn't mean that you need a partner, like others mentioned comfort characters can be platonic. And even if they aren't, there's a difference between liking a character and wanting a relationship with a real person. I've been daydreaming about my favorite characters since I was a kid, and I just turned 25 so I think you're fine ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ash Ketchum from Pokemon was my comfort character when I was smaller, I would make up scenarios in my head of him and me having pokemon battles, going on adventures together, and just having fun in general. This topic really brought back that nostalgia lol, but yea, it's a thing!

On 11/19/2021 at 6:02 AM, Cocothecoconut said:

As of approximately 4-5 weeks ago my biggest bringers of happiness and comfort are literally a bunch of office supplies ?

Out of all things I could get fixated on...

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 3:02 PM, Cocothecoconut said:

It can seem weird, but Hidan and Shikamaru Nara are both my comfort characters. I've returned into my very old special interest just because of Hidan and I started creating cosplay of him. Because I like them, I headcanon both as arospec.