Comfort characters? Is it a thing?

Cocothecoconut

So ever since i was a child when i was sad or scared i’ve always fantasied being comforted by either my favorite characters or my own OC’s. And when i hit puberty i thought it was both weird but also comforting because i thought this would go away when i reached adulthood(and i also thought it was because i was weak), but it didn’t. I’m 23 soon 24 and still when i’m sad, stressed out or in general had a bad day i fantasies about being comforted by my favorite characters or my own OC’s. Is it a sign that i actually need a partner even though i don’t want to be in a relationship? I guess not, but i’m still confused.

Do you have any comfort characters?

• Like 1

I wouldn't say fantasies but I always wanted to be friends with some of my oc's like in a queerplatonic relationship with them so I kinda relate to what you are saying 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spadster said:

I always wanted to be friends with some of my oc's like in a queerplatonic relationship with them so I kinda relate to what you are saying 

I can relate to this- I always imagined my oc "Nightwalker" to be like my best friend

• Like 1

I don't think this has anything to do with romance. We all need people who comfort us and it can be very useful to imagine it. I often imagine being comforted to calm myself, but I don't have a specific person on mind, it's more the sensation of a warm smile and touch.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2021 at 11:56 AM, Quinn_ said:

I can relate to this- I always imagined my oc "Nightwalker" to be like my best friend

I have a oc named Gregory who I thought I would be really good friends with 

• Like 1

Comfort characters are definitely a thing, and are pretty common for people to mention in fandom spaces nowadays (that's actually what people call them too).

It doesn't mean that you need a partner, like others mentioned comfort characters can be platonic. And even if they aren't, there's a difference between liking a character and wanting a relationship with a real person. I've been daydreaming about my favorite characters since I was a kid, and I just turned 25 so I think you're fine 😃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeltaV said:

I guess that I’m speaking for all those people out of the loop: What is OC? Original character?

Yeah, original character.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...