Am i the only one who doesn’t understand relationships/marriages?

As an aromantic i don’t understand why people would want to be in a relationship or getting married? I wouldn’t want to because i don’t feel any attraction and i’m not interested in it either! It all seems so important to most of people and it’s just… Aaaaarrrrggg why?! I know of course that some aromantic people wanna be in a relationship, but i’m just not one of them. I might be aromantic repulsed. But am i the only one who feels this way?

IDK I want to be in a qpr, and I would like but don't "want" a romantic relationship. The incentive behind it is, the person is someone I get to spend a lot of time with, and I get to see them in the future. We're both commited to each other in that way. and having someone in my life who's important like that sounds nice to have. I like people, and want to spend time with them. A relationship enables that. 

tho, that's just me, it could be different for others. 

Edited by Ashe.
  • Like 3

I surely don't want a romantic relationship for myself. It sounds not appealing to me, for various reasons. And for marriage, the appealing things for me are the dress and the cake at the wedding. That was probably a big sign that I was aromantic for a young age. Thinking about what I would wear at my wedding? A bit. Thinking about the person I would marry? Never.

I think the thing I get the least is why romance is treated so different athan other relationships. People congratulate new arried couple like they win some kind of prize, applause people who are married for a long time but would never do that for any other kind of relationships... That's a mystery to me.

• Like 6

not at all, I also have no damn clue why people want to get married

seems like a lot of stress just to put a formal ceremony on a relationship.

Being in a relationship in general I sort of understand, at least I get practical reasons for living with other people but I'm pretty clueless beyond that

• Like 4

I don't understand the typical monogamous, exclusive, romantic relationship that is prevalent in our society and is often the first thing that people think of when you say "relationship". It seems so suffocating, especially as I see so many people around me who get so caught up in jealousy, controlling each other, and making everything revolve around each other. Of course, not all monogamous romantic relationships have to be that way but people often end up prescribing to these behaviors because they're considered the norm. Whenever I see things like "if your boyfriend/girlfriend isn't jealous when you talk to someone attractive, do they even love you?", I just have to wonder, are people okay??? hahaha

Although I wouldn't want a partnership and especially not a romantic relationship, I do find other kinds of committed relationships nice. For example, having platonic relationships with people you can depend on and share your life with in intimate ways that you might not get with acquaintances or casual friendships. 

Marriage I only get for the legal/financial benefits, but I also question why those benefits should only be afforded to married couples anyway.  

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get it either. Being in a relationship looks like having no freedom, you can't do anything without asking previously to the partner, you can't take a decision for yourself you have to take his/her point of view in consideration even if it make you do the opposite of what you want to do and so make you miss something that you really want, that could fulfill you in an other way, make you happy, be a great experience, ...

I have never been in a relationship and have never been interested in having one, don't know why people want that. I don't mind watching romantic movies, reading romantic books and I even like romantic songs but I think that the society really has a problem. Making people think that life is to be in a relationship, have children, getting married, everything has to be about that it is just so annoying. Why aren't they able to have a life by themselves. I don't even find normal to need someone to be happy if you are not happy in your life alone how can you be happy in a relationship. It is so selfish to ask someone to make you happy, it is selfish to give such a responsability to someone.

Wedding is just a burden and cost a lot of money which could be used for so many other things, I really don't get it. I've never dreamt about it, not even wearing a wedding dress.

I know being aromantic makes me not really objective on the subject though.

• Like 1