The Term "Bromance"

shotinthehand

On 2016. 06. 09. at 7:40 AM, Mark said:

But there isn't a well known term equivalent to "toxic masculinity".

Its compulsory feminity...it works a bit differently, but its a similar concept. And its quite well known. (For example when people'd consider women's shaved bodies masculine and unkept.)

Internalized misogyny is a problem. Women do not live in vacuum, we adopt ideas of how to be a "good girl" or how to be what is socially acceptable. Everyone is conditioned to believe the negative stereotypes, even of themselves, and that does result internalized oppression. Everyone has to unlearn this stuff, nobody is immune.

another piece of dogma that EVERYONE not in #oppressed_group is responsible for every possible problem anyone in that group might encounter.

Well everyone in privileged groups does benefit from having some sort of power over others. I think recognizing that, but doing nothing to change how things are does count as being responsible for the status quo.

This is going to be my last post on this thread as I have already stated my opinion on the term bromance.

@shotinthehand Can we just agree to disagree? We're arguing over the definition of a word, and it is fairly evident that neither of us is going to change our opinions. And to be honest, I don't want this to turn into a definition debate like the ones on AVEN.

Also, sorry for swearing at you earlier, I was just really frustrated.

6 hours ago, Mark said:

Very recently there was a report that half of misogynistic tweets are from women.
The idea that women can't be sexist (and, more generally, that no members of #oppressed_group can be part of the problem) comes from a combination of political dogma and wishful thinking.
This is also a way in which activists can easily shoot themselves in the foot. Especially in combination with another piece of dogma that EVERYONE not in #oppressed_group is responsible for every possible problem anyone in that group might encounter.

I agree that women can be and some are misogynistic. Women can be misogynistic but not sexist. Members of an oppressed group can certainly be part of the problem in regards to the discrimination they face. I am not mindlessly adhering to political dogma; I am adhering to the strict definition of a nuanced word. I am not thinking wishfully; I am hoping to clarify the definition of some words.

I do not follow that last piece of dogma either.

1 hour ago, Zemaddog said:

This is going to be my last post on this thread as I have already stated my opinion on the term bromance.

@shotinthehand Can we just agree to disagree? We're arguing over the definition of a word, and it is fairly evident that neither of us is going to change our opinions. And to be honest, I don't want this to turn into a definition debate like the ones on AVEN.

Also, sorry for swearing at you earlier, I was just really frustrated.

Alright. I accept your apology, @Zemaddog

On 09/06/2016 at 11:14 PM, Cassiopeia said:

Well everyone privileged groups do benefit from having some sort of power over others. I think recognizing that, but doing nothing to change how things are does count as being responsible for the status quo.

It's often overlooked that social privileges are created and maintained by society as a "corporate identity".
Thus the only way to actually do anything about them is to change society.
With the necessary changes ALWAYS requiring the support of the unprivileged. (Often also the privileged too.)

Well the lyrics of the song are 'Bromance, nothing really gay about it, not that there is anything wrong with being gay,' so it just feels counterintuitive and unnecessary. Maybe if society and media valued friendship more we wouldn't need this petty shit.

Also, in case you didn't know, all men are rapists, all women victimise themselves at first opportunity, a man's mood is dictated entirely by the size of his penis and women's by her menstrual cycle. Now if you believe any of that you're sexist and the direction doesn't make up a gram of matter!

6 minutes ago, Louis Hypo said:

Well the lyrics of the song are 'Bromance, nothing really gay about it, not that there is anything wrong with being gay,' so it just feels counterintuitive and unnecessary. Maybe if society and media valued friendship more we wouldn't need this petty shit.

Also, in case you didn't know, all men are rapists, all women victimise themselves at first opportunity, a man's mood is dictated entirely by the size of his penis and women's by her menstrual cycle. Now if you believe any of that you're sexist and the direction doesn't make up a gram of matter!

Wait, there's a song?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I despise the term. It makes it seem that a very close platonic relationship between men is actually a romantic one and they just want to hide it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was coined by panicked people trying to deny that men could ever be so emotional like women. In their mind they thought it was gay and they thought everyone else saw it as gay so they made it up as a defense mechanism.

Furthermore the term is another 'option' if you will for denying an actual romantic relationship between men. Fans and even show runners jump on the bromance bandwagon so that they don't lose homophobic viewers which inevitably makes it easier for the audience to deny what is directly in front of them.

Archived