Interest in Google Meet Aromantic Socials

A couple of choices for topic (we can always do the second topic the time after):

"Happily ever after" https://aspecofstardust.wordpress.com/2021/01/02/round-up-december-2020-happily-ever-after/

or

"The relationship between the aro and ace communities" https://taaap.org/2019/03/02/february-2019-carnival-round-up-the-relationship-between-the-aro-and-ace-communities/

It'll be the usual link, 25th September 7PM (BST)

meet.google.com/qum-mmnd-xkw

• Like 1

I've recently received an email from Google about Meet on a free account starting to be limited to 1 hour calls for groups. I don't particularly want to pay and I'm thinking that we usually finish only a little more than an hour anyway. And I'm sure we can restart the meeting (or at least we can try?). Maybe we can talk about this briefly at our next meet about what we think is best. 1 hour limit is still better than the Zoom 40 minute limit. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Elin has suggested “arophoria” as a topic (might not be an actual word, at least not yet!) Aro euphoria - aro joy. What makes you happy about being aro?

It'll be 25th September 7PM (BST)

Kali has offered to host the meet on her Zoom account that is paid up until January, which is very kind of her. As soon as we've organised the link I'll update it here.

Please note: If you can't attend but would like to contribute a comment about the topic for the group, you are more than welcome to post here and I'll share your voice with the live group.

Edited by DogObsessedLianne

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 12:06 PM, DogObsessedLianne said:

Elin has suggested “arophoria” as a topic (might not be an actual word, at least not yet!) Aro euphoria - aro joy. What makes you happy about being aro?

It'll be 25th September 7PM (BST)

Kali has offered to host the meet on her Zoom account that is paid up until January, which is very kind of her. As soon as we've organised the link I'll update it here.

Please note: If you can't attend but would like to contribute a comment about the topic for the group, you are more than welcome to post here and I'll share your voice with the live group.

Just to remind you of today's meet and that we've sorted a Zoom link which I hope will work ok!!

Topic: Aromantic Videomeets
Time: Sep 25, 2022 07:00 PM London
Meeting ID: 842 4621 3809
Passcode: 954351
  • Like 1

URGENT regarding this evening, I'm having to revert back to Google Meet (meet.google.com/qum-mmnd-xkw) because Zoom is being a pain and has "detected abnormal device usage". I think we still have an hour on Meet and we should (hopefully) be able to restart it if needed, however awkward that is!

See some of you soon!

• 4 weeks later...

We're due to do a lunchtime (UK time) next. Looking at the next few weekends I should be OK for 30th, 6th, 19th/20th, 27th. What are people's availability and does anyone have any topic they are desperate to discuss? An interesting topic has been mentioned on the Facebook group about perspectives of divorce and separation in an amatonormative society.

It looks like it's going to be the 6th, let's say 1pm GMT. I'll set up an event properly over the next few days.

Date chosen

On 10/28/2022 at 4:56 PM, DogObsessedLianne said:

Next Meet: Sunday 6th November, 1PM (UK time / GMT)

Topic: Perspectives of Divorce and Separation in an Amatonormative Society.

I'll post the link on here nearer the time.

meet.google.com/qum-mmnd-xkw

Unfortunately we'll be on a 1 hour time limit again due to using Meet. It was an ok amount of time last time, but I'm sure we can always restart the link if we want.

Hope to see some of you then :-)

Don't forget that the UK is now on winter time since the end of October, as this might affect time zone differences.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We were talking about a more social December-January meet that might involve some fun ice breaker questions or online games (I'm not sure about the practicalities of that but someone mentioned it as an idea). This'll tie in with the Holiday season / Christmas / Yuletide / Solstice / New Year / etc as well as with the rough anniversary of the group.

We were talking about doing a midday/lunch GMT time to help include Kali, keeping in mind the usual regulars. The meeting after this will be the later time.

Now looking at weekends starting December I can do 10/11th, 17th/18th, I can probably do 24th being a lunchtime but I appreciate it might not be everyone's preference, again the same with the 31st lunchtime. Looking to January I don't have anything yet from 7th/8th onwards on weekends.

If you can give me your availability I'll try and schedule the best possible date.

• Like 1

fantastic

I'm pretty much the same. 10/11 and 17/18 look fine. probably best to avoid christmas eve or new years eve although i havent yet got anything planned.

1 hour ago, DogObsessedLianne said:

online games (I'm not sure about the practicalities of that but someone mentioned it as an idea)

To give other people here a bit more detail. one suggestion was jackbox. https://www.jackboxgames.com/

for those who dont know, computer+phone group party games, theres a lot of them but the gist is some form of prompt, e.g. question, thing to draw, sentance to finish in a funny way, etc. which each player does using their phone. followed by marking that prompt, e.g. by correct answer to trivia, voting on who is funnier, etc.

I dont know if anything will come from it but one possibility was that AUREA have used an aro themed quiplash before in one of their fundraisers. If we can get the custom prompt code that might be an option.

23 hours ago, roboticanary said:

fantastic

I'm pretty much the same. 10/11 and 17/18 look fine. probably best to avoid christmas eve or new years eve although i havent yet got anything planned.

To give other people here a bit more detail. one suggestion was jackbox. https://www.jackboxgames.com/

for those who dont know, computer+phone group party games, theres a lot of them but the gist is some form of prompt, e.g. question, thing to draw, sentance to finish in a funny way, etc. which each player does using their phone. followed by marking that prompt, e.g. by correct answer to trivia, voting on who is funnier, etc.

I dont know if anything will come from it but one possibility was that AUREA have used an aro themed quiplash before in one of their fundraisers. If we can get the custom prompt code that might be an option.

Thanks for the details 😊

It looks so far the 11th might be the most popular date, but I am still waiting on replies from some of our usuals. Regarding Xmas eve etc I'll be busy in the evening but during the day I've as yet got no plans. But I agree that they are far from ideal!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 8:52 PM, roboticanary said:

Jackbox games / quiplash seems to be a pay option that you buy? I like the idea though even though the dinosaur in me thinks why use apps and technology when voice debate works just as well!! I can always find quizzes and ice breakers (I've actually got a Pop Master quiz book downstairs and I'm sure we've got other stuff). Even quizzes in newspapers keep them and maybe bring them along?

For now, let's schedule Sunday 11th December 1PM. I'll post the link nearer the time.

7 hours ago, DogObsessedLianne said:

Jackbox games / quiplash seems to be a pay option that you buy?

Only the quizmaster needs the paid bit so if one person has it that is fine. I am pretty sure @erederyn already has what we need so no-one would need to buy anything.

Quizzes/bits from the paper also sound like a great idea though.

1 hour ago, roboticanary said:

Only the quizmaster needs the paid bit so if one person has it that is fine. I am pretty sure @erederyn already has what we need so no-one would need to buy anything.

That's right, I already have the jackbox games. I'd just host it and everyone else can join on- they don't need to have the game themselves.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe start having a think about available weekend dates later in January or in February, and possible topics. @roboticanaryI noticed your link to the AZE journal elsewhere that might give topics to talk about. I think we're due a 7PM (GMT) time meeting next having had two 1PM meetings. At the moment I'm still trying to shift this virus I picked up over Xmas and so have limited voice at the moment, give enough time hopefully it'll be ok to chat!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

What about Sunday 12th March 7pm GMT?

https://sildarmillionjournal.wordpress.com/2022/10/31/call-for-submissions-october-2022-carnival-of-aros-sentimentality/ has been suggested as a topic for discussion which sounds like a good topic.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 1:12 PM, DogObsessedLianne said:

What about Sunday 12th March 7pm GMT?

https://sildarmillionjournal.wordpress.com/2022/10/31/call-for-submissions-october-2022-carnival-of-aros-sentimentality/ has been suggested as a topic for discussion which sounds like a good topic.

It'll probably be at the usual Google Meet link but I'll confirm this nearer to the event. Hopefully see some of you there :-)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a reminder about tomorrow's meet. I'll check that the usual link still works later. Also, just be aware of time zone differences this month as they might be different if you have already put the clocks forward. The meeting is 7pm GMT and the UK (where I'm based) is on GMT until the end of the month. I look forward to catching up with you tomorrow.

Edit: meet.google.com/qum-mmnd-xkw still works 😃

• 4 weeks later...

The next meeting might have to be May. I think we're due a lunchtime (BST) meet. So far, to the best of my knowledge I'm ok for any Sunday in May as I haven't started filling it up yet. I'll also have a look at previous suggested topics, but if you'd like to discuss something in particular or have a suggestion then feel free to mention it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking at the Carnival of Aros link again (mainly because I'm not the best at original ideas). But I thought that either "Family" or "How do you view Platonic Attraction" would be both interesting topics. I'm leaning towards "Family". The link to both is here: https://carnivalofaros.wordpress.com/ I was thinking 1PM (BST) on May 14th unless you want to tweak this?

• Like 1